Be be aware, new rules to bring car from usa to canada!

-
We wanted to cross over last Monday at 0900hrs. So the wife and I sent an e-mail Wednesday. Confirmation e-mail was sent within 25 minutes and we printed it as per instructions. They never did ask to see it. It was a good buffer. The DHS gentleman came out with the registration looked at the vin's to make sure they matched stamped it and cleared us. Under 10 minutes. 6 minutes was used to talk **** about Mopars. Lol
The Canadian side took the longest as they went over the car and there was 1 form to fill out. If you really want to speed things up bring the original ad for the purchase. Ie. Craigs list, E-bay listing number, Kijiji, paper, website.
They did not believe the car was 5gs until I supported the cliam with the ad. The bill of sale was not sufficent enough.

Anymore questions PM me.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

This sounds like way too much bullshit to me. I'll need to have a U.S. Federal EIN whatever the eff that is?? to sell YOU a car? No, I don't theenk so.

And what the 'ell is this "filing 72 hours prior?" Does this mean you need to lay over in the US for several days just to run out the filing period?

Sounds to me that once again the lunatics are on the lawn.

67dart,

What I understand from these laws..it is being promoted by the auto companies so us Canadians will stop going to the states and buying the same car we would in Canada but at major savings..they (the car companies) do not want to rational the car prices over the Canadian border...

Bottom line..it is a profit grab.

Some dealers have been told that if they sell to Canadians, they will lose their dealership..

Guys no no no. It's way easy. Before I left to the states I emailed them the info. 72hrs business days. Then we flew down picked up the car and elected to do a scenic drive up.

Description
Car
Vin
Etc.....

Then show up with the confirmation email (unless you faxed or mailed) then they take a peak stamp the ownership and your done.
Easy............

P.s this car was bought and drivin up from Staten Island NY

The owner signed the reg provided bill of sale. Thats all that he did. No other paper work was done.

P.s this car was bought and drivin up from Staten Island NY

The owner signed the reg provided bill of sale. Thats all that he did. No other paper work was done.

How can you drive it back with no plate and how did you get insurance for the drive back?
Did you pay the sales tax at the border on the bill of sale value?

1: weeks before call your Insurance company and explain your plan. Most offer a 30 binder to transport a purchased vehicle from out of province and from the US.
2: You need in my case dealing with the DMV in NY state provide them with a complete on insurance letter head the binder. Binder is what they call the insurance. This will include the vehicles vin.
3: After providing them with the binder the DMV in my case New York state will provide you with a in transit permit that you will affix to the rear window of the vehicle.
4: Drive to the border 72 bussiness hours after you Fax,Write or email DHS if you emailed them bring printed copy of confirmation. You can also do this days before you even head across the border. Present the car get your registration stamped and proceed over the border. Present car to customs. Declare everything or you will pay the price. Now you will pay duty. About .05%
Next comes the inspection. They will go thorough everything. If you have declared all and paper work was in order (bill etc) your free as in my case in Ontario to proceed with your 30 NYS temp plate to drive home.
5: Before you hit service Ontario get the car certified. If you don't and proceed to put the car in your name they will issue your car as unfit. At this point your NYS temp plate is now null and void. You'll now need a tow truck or have to purchase a temp sticker for Ontario $$$
6: After you get certified proceed to put the car in your name. Bring customs form and old registration as well as insurance form. Done.

The car does not need to be registered in Ontario to get certified.

I managed to cross the border get certified and have my car plated in 1 day.

A good shipping company like TFX can handle all of this for you as a Canadian. Gets tougher if you and the seller do it directly.

Just curious, is it a Canadian requirement for DHS (assuming U.S.) to check the vehicle before allowing it into Canada? Sounds like it's easier between Mexico and the U.S. both ways.

DHS is just making sure you're not taking a car out that is stolen or has leans etc. We were no more then 10 minutes at the US side.
I went to the office and told themI was exporting a car. They asked for bill of sale and registration they checked the vins and then stamped it and I was gone. No hassle :)

Temp plate. And hello Canada. I saved a bundle on driving this home. Also the temp plate was 12 dollars in change.

Attachments

• cdv_photo_002.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 227
  • photo_001.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 205
  • photo_002.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 210
The old way.. yes it was easy. Buy the vehicle, send the title to the USA border crossing 72 hrs in advance, stop in on the way across, pick up paperwork, stop at Canadian customs with bill of sale, original ad and good to go. do it before.

NOW they need the new form filled out. It almost seems you now require a broker., I will check more into it and get back to you. If you try to bring the car across without the form filled out you will face a severe fine.

YES You need to have AES form now filled out and filed prior to applying to import any motorize vehicle.

Read the link as it involves STIFF FINES if not complied with and you show up a US CUSTOMS!

Please folks for the sake of sanity call this number and listen to the pre recording!!! Debate over 1 (716) 843-8359

Email 72hrs in advance the following
1: Description of Vehicle - Vehicle (1969)
2:Make - Dodge
3:Model - Dart
4:Vin - VH11344568910

Day of export bring the following to the
Lewiston Bridge Crossing room #135
1:Car
2:Registration and/or Bill if sale
3:Lean info if any
4:passports
5:printed email confirmation

Also the Riv does not apply to us. We drive classics
icon_wink.gif

Also here is the link to the US info

http://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/export-docs/motor-vehicle

It states to bring car to border with the info I stated. Call the number and follow the instructions.
icon_smile.gif

Call the number. I read the article and they were not enforcing that nor on the Canadian side.

This looks like it's geared mire to actual bussiness. The section on motor vehicles reads clear to me.

1: weeks before call your Insurance company and explain your plan. Most offer a 30 binder to transport a purchased vehicle from out of province and from the US.
2: You need in my case dealing with the DMV in NY state provide them with a complete on insurance letter head the binder. Binder is what they call the insurance. This vin include the vin.
3: After providing them with the binder the DMV may case New York state will provide you with a in transit permit that you will affix to the rear window of the vehicle.
4: Drive to the border 72 bussiness hours after you Fax,Write or email DHS if you emailed them bring printed copy of confirmation. You can also call days before you even head across the border. Present the car get your registration stamped and proceed over the border. Present car to customs. Declare everything or you will pay the price. Now you will pay duty. About .05%
Next comes the inspection. They will go thorough everything. If you have declared all and paper work was in order (bill etc) your free as in my case in Ontario to proceed with your 30 NYS temp plate to drive home.
5: Before you hit service Ontario get the car certified. If you don't and proceed to put the car in your name they will issue your car as unfit. At this point your NYS temp plate is now null and void. You'll now need a tow truck or have to purchase a temp sticker for Ontario $$$
6: After you get certified proceed to put the car in your name. Bring customs form and old registration as well as insurance form. Done.

The car does not need to be registered in Ontario to get certified.

I managed to cross the border get certified and have my car plated in 1 day.

Thanks for all the info Skeeter.

-
Back