bearing grease ?

-

71scamp78

Reaction score
What is the correct type of bearing grease to use on rear axle bearings. Wasn't sure if there is a certain kind needed to use

What are you working on?
Rear wheel drive axle bearings such as an 8-3/4 or any similar solid rear axle uses the Gear Oil in the housing to lubricate the bearings.

What is the correct type of bearing grease to use on rear axle bearings. Wasn't sure if there is a certain kind needed to use

8-3/4 rear axle bearings do not use the gear lube for lubrication that's why they have an axle housing inner seal --- 8-1/4 -- 9-1/4 and similar rear axles do use gear lube to lubricate the outer axle bearings
if you have an 8-3/4 with the tapered axle bearings use a good chassis/wheel bearing grease to pack the bearing -- same grease used for the front wheel bearings

Mopar cop car wheel bearing grease. It's green snot. Works great.

Any grease that meets the spec for wheel bearings should be fine. They are just a bit of a pain to pack mounted on the axle.....

I like to use grease rated as "High Pressure" for wheel bearings.
I changed to a Lucas grease here lately that I like a lot also that is called "Red and Tacky"
Some thick, sticky stuff and slippery like STP and it is holding up really well even though it's been on multiple multi thousand mile trips.
I check them all before one of these trips, as well as all the brake linings and gear oil in the rear end.

Yup. Any quality brand that's rated high pressure and high temperature. Just look for disc brake wheel bearing grease. That will get the job done.

Last edited:
I'm not opposed to the red and tacky, but I'd suggest if you're driving in winter to reconsider. That stuff can set up hard when cold, and actually cause a bearing to skate.

I'm not opposed to the red and tacky, but I'd suggest if you're driving in winter to reconsider. That stuff can set up hard when cold, and actually cause a bearing to skate.

Any grease rated NGLI # 2 will work over broad temperatures. Look for #2 on the tube, it's probably the only available anyway; unless you go to a fleet jobber.

665005002038_jt-6_htmp_1lbtub.jpg
10574_redntacky-16oz-tub.jpg

I use superlube myself. We sell it at my work. It's a great synthetic. Can do wheel bearings. Chassis. Suspension parts. Etc. Covers all bases.

-
Back