bearings blow outs?

-

bigtommy

old school power
Reaction score
my driver side wheel hub bearings blow out and i saw that the spindle was bent so i replaced it and about a week after replacing it the outter bearing blow again and now the center piece wont come out to put new bearings in. why does this keep happening? i know the ball joints are bad would this have anything to do with it ???

what center peice? on my disc set up there is a inner and outer bearing and on the back side of the hub is the little dust lip that you tap out from the front side. then washer, spindle nut, spindle nut lock and pin

It almost sounds as if the spindle nut is on beyond the torque settings or that the bearings are not getting packed fully. Either way, too much heat and we got unhappy bearings. I am not sure about the ball joints affecting, although if they are way loos, then the whole knuckle drifts, putting pressure on the bearings, which could cause heat issues.

I would check that your bearings are getting properly packed, and that when you replace the bearings, you get the races replaced too.

Might be a good idea to make sure you are packing with the right type of grease too. When I did my front end, I used bearing grease that was in a grease gun tube, and then pumped it through my cone packer (picked up at Pep Boys for like $6)

good idea to replace the bearing and race together
invest in a bearing packer, they come in handy
don't forget to back the nut off before installing the cotter pin

what center peice? on my disc set up there is a inner and outer bearing and on the back side of the hub is the little dust lip that you tap out from the front side. then washer, spindle nut, spindle nut lock and pin
the center piece of the bearing. the little circle piece that goes on the spindle. so i should have said the outter bearing wont come out.

If that race is stuck/welded to the spindle you are in for a fun time getting it out. You might be able to use a huge 3 finger puller to pull on the disc and force the center race out as long as it didn't get too hot. It does sound like the nut was too tight or the bearing went dry for some reason. Dragging brakes can cause the grease to get too hot and run out drying up the bearing.
Any pictures of the carnage?

If you can't get the little circle piece off by grabbing it with some big channel locks and wiggling it around until it comes loose, it's probably fused onto the spindle. I had this happen 20+ years ago when I had a bent spindle.

How did you adjust the bearings when you put this back together?

If the inner race of that outer bearing is seized to the spindle you will need to destroy that bearing. To get the race off the spindle, cut most of the way through it with a torch or drimmel grinder then crack it.

I just had my driver side front bearing go on me too. It was the outer bearing and I had a heck of a time getting it off. My neighbor had a little puller though and it finally came off. But the new one does not want to slide on either. Should I force it on?
I ate the bearing and the hub. There is a fellow member with hubs and spindle from a disc conversion he did that he said I could have. (FABO RULES!) should I put the whole spindle on, and if so is that something I can do easily? Will I need new bushings?

Thanks
Tim

If the inner race of that outer bearing is seized to the spindle you will need to destroy that bearing. To get the race off the spindle, cut most of the way through it with a torch or drimmel grinder then crack it.

X2

that always works for me, I cut it most of the way through with a cutting wheel then split it with a chisel

Too tight or not packed. Use a ribbon strip of sandpaper to dress the spindle; look for high spot, sand and file it off.

-
Back