bearings, journals, pistons, and cylinders

-

green67cuda

Reaction score
Sorry for not being Mopar related, but I have to take a Cuda break and fix my 68 Mustang. And it IS engine related.
The motor I'm building is a 125,000 mile 302 from an early 80s lincoln.
I was wondering if I could get some help determining what to do with these parts. to me, it looks like they could be reinstalled with new bearings and rings and be ok.....

here's the link: (the first 3 posts are mine) WARNING dialup users....large pics enclosed!

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1310773&an=0&page=0#1310773

THANK YOU!

For what Ford parts cost, I would get a cheap rebuild kit, and have it done. the bearing marks show poor oiling, and the bores and skirts show signs of a lot of blow-by. Just freshening the rings wont fix instability due to wear, and I think that's what you have. The crank journals dont look that good either. I think what you'll find is that the journals are not round and true anymore, just smooth. I'd think you could get out under $1500 for machining and parts for stock stuff.

excellent.
just needed an opinion.
machining for the block and crank will be 750
pistons and rings and bearings will be about 450.
not that i'm trying to get out of ponying up some cash, i was just interested in not doing something that didn't need to be done, if anything.

FYI....the mustang (my daily driver) put my barracuda on hold when i was changing the lower radiator hose and found that the crank on the 68 motor has 1/8" of endplay!!!
had the other 302 sitting on the floor, so i figured i'd rebuild it and swap them out.

-
Back