Bee Keeping Enthusiasts

-

LJS30

Reaction score
Hey guys I tried to find a thread that discussed other hobbies outside of cars in which one member mentioned bee keeping as his hobby. However I couldn't find that thread. So I hope that member sees this thread and can give me some assistance.
My Uncle and I decided to start doing some bee keeping earlier in the summer for both recreation, pollination, and of course for some nice honey. So we purchased a whole box of Italian's with a queen, made a rough top bar box, and transferred the bees properly. We followed all the directions typically found over the internet about establishing a bee collective and all seemed well. The bees were all over our orchard which is full of apricot, peaches, and citrus trees. They were starting to really make some impressive comb when suddenly for no apparent reason they just abandoned the box. What could have happened?

Did you also read about the global "vanishing bee" epidemic?

I'm not a beekeeper, but tha tstory has made numerous mainstream news headlines.

Sign o' the apocolypse?

Lots of bees producing in Georgia....sourwood is my favorite.

My father in law has had great bee success in Pennsylvania the last few years.

I have a good friend that does it. He says for the past 15 or so years, his bee population has been dwindling. Scary.

Sounds like the queen died or they possibly swarmed,
were you feeding them sugar syrup.
Lots of weird things can happen to a new batch of bees.
I would contact the seller and see what they say.

How long were they in the hive?
Any dead bees in and around the hive.

Join the local bee keepers club. I have 2 friends that are into it. One is full time and has a couple hundred hives.

They were starting to really make some impressive comb when suddenly for no apparent reason they just abandoned the box. What could have happened?

One of them farted.... :fart:

-
Back