Been thinking???

-

LA Dart

Reaction score
I was going to put a SB in my 71 dart . But i have see alot of darts with big block in them. i have got an a 440 and 727 out in the garage just setting there all a lone and needs some place to go . sooooooo i was thinking about of putting in my dart. you know it has to be rebuild . what your two cent on this.

If it's already sittin' there, I'd be hard pressed not to use it.....

....a 440 Dart is a beasty, plain and simple....and all the know how is right here on the site fer' ya if you need it. 8)

What do you want to do with the car, drive it or race it?
C

Go for it LA Dart, that 440 is itching to be on the road =P~=P~

Go for it. Pull it apart do a standard rebuild and you will have a stump puller. Nice thing about 440s is you don't have to build them up to get the power like you do in a SB. And you already have it.

I might have gone into overkill for a street car, but I have a 496 to put in mine. Just remember, if cost is an issue, that the more HP you build, the more $$$ it's gonna take.

Adding up the stroker with worked Eddys, lightweight aftermarket internals, MSD box & distributor, etc. I think I've got close to $9K in it, then, of course, the cooling has to be upgraded, then the transmission, better beef up the rear end and put Moser axles in it... hmm... better have a torque strap... then it needs a scoop because the motor won't fit, different t-bars, better brakes, then I got thinking... the Schumaker tri-y headers were smallish for all those cubes... so I got a set of Pro-Parts, then had to cut the fenderwells a little, and modify the headers and get them coated... so now the 2-1/2" exhaust is gone in favor of a 3" setup... All this stuff is done now, just waiting on a little paint work before the motor goes in...but now I'll probably need a roll cage in it if I wanna take it to the strip...things can get out of control, especially if you don't have a ton of money to pour into it all at one time.

It'd be tempting to do a stock rebuild on your 440 and just drop it into your Dart. On the other hand, you could sell the 440/727, put a shift kit and converter in the trans, and there's usually some sweet deals on 340 motors on different Mopar sites. A guy listed one with Eddy heads and new cam, roller rockers, etc. for $2,000 on Moparts a few days ago, and it comes with E-body coated headers that you could sell to get some for an A-body. There's another 340 on there right now that has EVERYTHING, right down to the MSD, plug wires, carb, etc., for $1,800. That's some cheap fun, right there!

It all depends on how crazy you want to get with it. There are a TON of fast small-block A-bodies out there... I had my engine pretty much built when I bought the car, and it was already set up for a big-block.

If I were in your shoes with a 318 car sitting there...I'd probably scoop up a 340 or something and just jam it in there. You could be doing burnouts in a couple weeks!

I would go for it. When I started the rebuild on my Scamp. I wanted a bigblock A-body. I was going to change it to a stroker small block. But after reading about how much torque you feel from a 440 thats stock in a A-body, I stayed with the bigblock. I am glad i did.

-
Back