Before, After pics of rust pitted Air Cleaner I powder coated

-

harrisonm

Reaction score
I just powder coated a Chevy air cleaner for a friend. I think it came out pretty good. The top part was pretty badly pitted and had several decent size dents in it. Just like with paint, those places need to be fixed first. I have tried fillers like "Lab Metal", but I could never get a satisfactory result. The only place that was pitted was the top, so it got a trip through my sand blaster. Then I massaged the dents slowly and sanded the areas smooth. I then masked off everything except the pitted area with high heat fiberglass tape and aluminum foil and sprayed 4 separate coats of Eastwood Rust preventing primer on the part while it was hot (first pic). The second pic is a closeup of the pitting with the primer on it. Then I wet sanded all the primer with 320 grit paper. The third pic shows the smooth primer surface ready to coat. The primer filled in all the pits. Then I sprayed a coat of Eastwood semi gloss black on it. The fourth picture shows a close up of the previously pitted area, and the fifth pic is the whole lid. My hat is off to @CudaChick1968 for doing this for a living and turning out such great quality. I'm just a hobbyist who has played around with powder coating for about 15 years.
cleaner1.JPG
cleaner2.JPG
cleaner3.JPG
cleaner4.JPG
cleaner6.JPG

-
Back