Beginner Asphalt Circle Track - Duster??

-

Idaho

Reaction score
Can an A body compete in beginner circle track? We have an oval asphalt track nearby. An aquaintance is racing in the beginner class with a Civic. He does well and says the front wheel drive is an adavantage. Another poplular car is the small Mustang so I guess they can do OK with RWD.

I have an adult daughter struggling in life, needs to get away from negative influences and is interested in racing. This might be a way for me to have more time with her.

She likes Dusters. I have a couple of them that could be fixed up. For power plants I have two good running slants, a 170 and a 225 with 904s. I also have a 318 and 340 that would need a rebuild.

Is it even worth considering, or am I better off just finding a Civic. I have not researched yet, just thinking there are likely members here with experience that could shed some light.

I don't know anything about circle track racing, but if your daughter likes Dusters, and you have one to work with, that sounds like a good project for the two of you to work on together. Get the car set up as well as you know how to and get her out and racing. You'll both learn through experience how to tune and tweak the car for improved performance as you go. The time spent together will far trump results at the track. Who knows, you might find that the two of you are a winning team on both accounts. Just my $.02. Best of luck.

I have an adult daughter struggling in life, needs to get away from negative influences and is interested in racing. This might be a way for me to have more time with her.

She likes Dusters. I have a couple of them that could be fixed up. For power plants I have two good running slants, a 170 and a 225 with 904s. I also have a 318 and 340 that would need a rebuild.

Is it even worth considering, or am I better off just finding a Civic. I have not researched yet, just thinking there are likely members here with experience that could shed some light.

sounds like a good dad here......he wants to spend more time with her. my adoptive dad (uncle) is my hero bcoz i can go to him with any problem no matter how big or small .....every girl needs a hero in her life.....good to hear of another nice dad.

i would beat up a civic for circle track and build a duster for street .......the track is going to a tough life for a car ...a civic is a lot more disposable than a duster .....you can have your fun with a civic or similar and discard it when you finished.

a duster is a better car to build with a long term intent and pass it on to future generations.....IMO

I don't know anything about circle track racing, but if your daughter likes Dusters, and you have one to work with, that sounds like a good project for the two of you to work on together. Get the car set up as well as you know how to and get her out and racing. You'll both learn through experience how to tune and tweak the car for improved performance as you go. The time spent together will far trump results at the track. Who knows, you might find that the two of you are a winning team on both accounts. Just my $.02. Best of luck.

She's already pretty good on a dirt bike but wants to race a car. I think the beginner class could be a blast for both of us.

4spdcuda66 I don't know anything about circle track racing, but if your daughter likes Dusters, and you have one to work with, that sounds like a good project for the two of you to work on together. Get the car set up as well as you know how to and get her out and racing. You'll both learn through experience how to tune and tweak the car for improved performance as you go. The time spent together will far trump results at the track. Who knows, you might find that the two of you are a winning team on both accounts. Just my $.02. Best of luck.

Thanks for the encouraging words. One of these Dusters would otherwise get parted anyway, but I suspect there's a reason people are running what they are.

Someone I would talk to would be Curtis AKA Waggin! I cant remember if it was dirt track of asphault but i know hes done some A body circle track racing.

Find a Neon as there cheap and the DOHC neon engine makes more power than the civics. Plus the 5 speed and other parts are cheap.

Find a cheap neon and they can be swapped to manual for next to nothing.

Riddler

Find a Neon as there cheap and the DOHC neon engine makes more power than the civics. Plus the 5 speed and other parts are cheap.

Riddler

X2 An acquaintance of mine runs one and does quite well.

Back in the early 70's, I worked at a shop that ran 55 Chevys, short ovals. It basically involves suspension. Huge Franllin drum brakes, but that was before disc. To set up the suspension, it's called swedge. That was my area.

We welded in stiffening plates at the front coil spring mount, with a hardened nut. Then a threaded hardened all thread thru it, to the top plate of the spring. With a nut welded to it- easy adjust for track, weather, etc. Pop the hood and crank on it.

When you power out of a corner, the driver side tire want's to lift, also taking pressure of the driver rear tire.

I bet with a hemi torsion bar on the pass side, easy adjustments.

As far as the rear, you need quick adjustable coils. Track conditions keep changing.

Someone I would talk to would be Curtis AKA Waggin! I cant remember if it was dirt track of asphault but i know hes done some A body circle track racing.

Calling Waggin! You out there? :)

Riddler Find a Neon as there cheap and the DOHC neon engine makes more power than the civics. Plus the 5 speed and other parts are cheap.

X2 An acquaintance of mine runs one and does quite well.

Cheap would be nice. I wonder how they compare suspension wise. The guy I know mentioned the Civic has good adjustability.

rlevs hay get it going any time with the kids is good

Agreed. In the end nothing matters more.

green1 Back in the early 70's, I worked at a shop that ran 55 Chevys, short ovals. It basically involves suspension. Huge Franllin drum brakes, but that was before disc. To set up the suspension, it's called swedge. That was my area.

We welded in stiffening plates at the front coil spring mount, with a hardened nut. Then a threaded hardened all thread thru it, to the top plate of the spring. With a nut welded to it- easy adjust for track, weather, etc. Pop the hood and crank on it.

When you power out of a corner, the driver side tire want's to lift, also taking pressure of the driver rear tire.

I bet with a hemi torsion bar on the pass side, easy adjustments.

As far as the rear, you need quick adjustable coils. Track conditions keep changing.

Interesting. I have fair (not great) fabrication and welding skills. I don't think they allow much modification. I was told the cars are stripped down, a simple roll bar installed, and a fire suit is required.

Unfortunately the track (Stateline Speedway near Spokane) has nothing online I can find. I'll have to call for details.

How about a rear wheel drive 4 banger/2 rotor? RX7 comes to mind. 1st gen is cheap and light, and the rear wheel drive can be fun on an oval. Or a 2.6L Arrow with a header, keepin it Mopar (sort of). Heck, even if you lose to a bunch of boys, you still have yourself to beat time wise the next race. 170 will have no chance, neither will the 225 unless you pony up and build it. Tight 318 with 4.56's and headers will rock a Civic out of the corners and that is where its at on a short oval.

We raced a Duster on dirt.. It was tough, since all the rest of the cars were Camaro's... All had blueprinted engines, adjusted coils in the front, etc. We were the only Mopar in that class. It was tough, because we had no one to share tips with. We were also very young, (19-20) which didn't help much.

That being said, this class sounds a lot less competitive, which is good! Personally, I wouldn't trash another Duster, especially when there are Neon's to be had for CHEAP, plus the replacement parts can be found much cheaper (junk yards should be stocked up with them). No matter what, have FUN! I'm hoping to help my buddy build another car, this time a Camaro :)

The cheapest way to get into the sport is to find someone getting out of it! Attend a few races and ask around, someone always knows someone whose sitting at home with a car ready to run but no cash. You generally can't build a car for what you can buy one for, and until she knows that this is what she wants to do, you're better off keeping your cash outlay to a minimum.

having said all of that, making laps on the track in competition doesn't compare to anything and would be an excellent relationship and confidence builder.

How about a rear wheel drive 4 banger/2 rotor? RX7 comes to mind. 1st gen is cheap and light, and the rear wheel drive can be fun on an oval. Or a 2.6L Arrow with a header, keepin it Mopar (sort of). Heck, even if you lose to a bunch of boys, you still have yourself to beat time wise the next race. 170 will have no chance, neither will the 225 unless you pony up and build it. Tight 318 with 4.56's and headers will rock a Civic out of the corners and that is where its at on a short oval.

Another that comes to mind is the Geo Storm. My other daughter had one. Peppy little go kart.

I imagine a 340 with those gears would rock. Just not sure if the handling would be competitive.

Judge Mills We raced a Duster on dirt.. It was tough, since all the rest of the cars were Camaro's... All had blueprinted engines, adjusted coils in the front, etc. We were the only Mopar in that class. It was tough, because we had no one to share tips with. We were also very young, (19-20) which didn't help much.

That being said, this class sounds a lot less competitive, which is good! Personally, I wouldn't trash another Duster, especially when there are Neon's to be had for CHEAP, plus the replacement parts can be found much cheaper (junk yards should be stocked up with them). No matter what, have FUN! I'm hoping to help my buddy build another car, this time a Camaro

So were you really lacking in handling with the torsion bar setup?

12valve The cheapest way to get into the sport is to find someone getting out of it! Attend a few races and ask around, someone always knows someone whose sitting at home with a car ready to run but no cash. You generally can't build a car for what you can buy one for, and until she knows that this is what she wants to do, you're better off keeping your cash outlay to a minimum.

having said all of that, making laps on the track in competition doesn't compare to anything and would be an excellent relationship and confidence builder.

That sounds like good advice. The only way we'll know is to try it.

12 valve,gives the best idea,buy a running/roller.Chassis already set up,buys you experience and a record. Check out Pintos,Rangers. Make it affordable,and enjoyable. The mini stock class,great learning curve class.Start ,with a current rule book.Nice bonding time.

If you go with a Neon there are quite a few guys running them, in fact they do really well. Remember the Neon won many more AutoX and road race events than a civic. The 95-99 Neon's were top of the class each year in race ability.

Check out www.neons.org and look for the circle track guys/gals. Lots of them on there. Plus Neon's are like civics, tons of mods can be done to do anything. Hell toss a 2.4L engine and no one would be the wiser as the 2.4L block looks just like a 2.0L DOHC engine block

Riddler

sounds like a fun project. are they still running circle track at spokane. they use to run a small track in postfalls too. does either exist now.

The class of racing your prob talking about with civics is a 4 cylinder only class. A rwd fox chassis mustang notchback coupe would prob be best. The 2.3L 4 bangers in these cars use an iron head and are just plain tough to kill. Its the same engine in l
Mid 70s pinto runabouts and its called out as a 2300cc in these cars.

Stay away from the fwd cars, the rwd ones can take more of a pounding for longer, plus by the nature of their design you can set the suspensions up better for circle track. The fox chassis is light, and theres plenty of circle track hot roddy stuff for it. You can score one of these dirt cheap, even check your local police auctions, or even tell your local junkyard your looking for one you may be able to get them to hook you up with a complete fresh one just coming into the yard for free if you agree to use the sides of the car to advertize for their business at your local track.

Selling advertizing space on your car can help you finance a fun adventure with your daughter. Check out speedway motors too. Im sure they have 4 banger class parts and roll cage kits.

Save the duster for the street. Maybe later after she gets the racin outta her systen, you both can do a father daughter project and restore/hot rod one of these for the street.

Matt

before you spend anytime building a car for her i'd check with the track you'd like to run at and get a copy of the rules to see what body style and engine you can run. good luck and have fun with your daughter.

The class of racing your prob talking about with civics is a 4 cylinder only class. A rwd fox chassis mustang notchback coupe would prob be best. The 2.3L 4 bangers in these cars use an iron head and are just plain tough to kill. Its the same engine in l
Mid 70s pinto runabouts and its called out as a 2300cc in these cars.

Stay away from the fwd cars, the rwd ones can take more of a pounding for longer, plus by the nature of their design you can set the suspensions up better for circle track. The fox chassis is light, and theres plenty of circle track hot roddy stuff for it. You can score one of these dirt cheap, even check your local police auctions, or even tell your local junkyard your looking for one you may be able to get them to hook you up with a complete fresh one just coming into the yard for free if you agree to use the sides of the car to advertize for their business at your local track.

Selling advertizing space on your car can help you finance a fun adventure with your daughter. Check out speedway motors too. Im sure they have 4 banger class parts and roll cage kits.

Save the duster for the street. Maybe later after she gets the racin outta her systen, you both can do a father daughter project and restore/hot rod one of these for the street.

Matt

Thanks. I found the rules:
http://www.raceidaho.com/racer-info/rules/
They call it the Roadrunner class. 4 cyl, 4 passenger nothing about engine displacement, no performance modifications. Kinda makes sense anyway - safer I would think to run with limited power.

fishmens67 sounds like a fun project. are they still running circle track at spokane. they use to run a small track in postfalls too. does either exist now.

The Stateline Speedway is in Post Falls. I don't know about Spokane. I expect to keep it local.

Riddler If you go with a Neon there are quite a few guys running them, in fact they do really well. Remember the Neon won many more AutoX and road race events than a civic. The 95-99 Neon's were top of the class each year in race ability.

Check out www.neons.org and look for the circle track guys/gals. Lots of them on there. Plus Neon's are like civics, tons of mods can be done to do anything. Hell toss a 2.4L engine and no one would be the wiser as the 2.4L block looks just like a 2.0L DOHC engine block

Riddler

Abodybomber 12 valve,gives the best idea,buy a running/roller.Chassis already set up,buys you experience and a record. Check out Pintos,Rangers. Make it affordable,and enjoyable. The mini stock class,great learning curve class.Start ,with a current rule book.Nice bonding time.

There's $750 claim rule. I guess that's OK. Makes things kinda simple. I'll just look for anything that is legal, maybe one that's been run and therefore track ready, race the minimum races, and have the option to buy a better car :)

Frog Princess,cool name. The young lady,gonna det dirty.:.....

Check out carting too, cheap and QUICK! But nothing you know about Mopars crosses over. More 2 stroke motorcycle stuff. There is also JR Drags, rails with lawn mower motors!

Torsion bars would probably be okay if we would have had access and $$ to different kinds. We built the whole car ourselves, welded in the cage and everything. Like someone said, find someone who is getting out of racing! They practically give them away!

racing the duster would be cool nuthin wrong with runnin them lil shitboxes either

I have really good knowledge of Neons and Stratus cars. That's what I worked on before my duster. Converted my Stratus that was automatic to Stick. They share engines with the Mitsubishi eclipse basically. Pt Crusier, SRT 4, Neon, Strauts, Eclipse, all same engines. A lot of the Neon guys like the early model neons because they can run 14-15s stock (some came with bigger cams). I had a 2.4 DOHC in my stratus and if you could get that into a neon, that would be instant 14's with a stick. For an upgraded clutch I had a SRT-4 clutch turned down and was basically a stage 2 racing clutch.

-
Back