Beginner Body work

-
Yeah, not having a garage really blows. The house we are renting(thank god) has been bought, along with 4 or 5 other properties, and land to be made into Condos. Hopefully i can find another house with a big garage.. Cool website too, thaks 70dart

You can do it without a garage, but you have to have a plan and stick to it. You have to plan to do the work on a day that is clear, no chance of rain, and little wind. Strip it, weld the new piece in, seal it with a good primer, like epoxy primer or rust encapsulator. Its better to put on a cheap coat of spray paint and sand it off later than to leave primer exposed.

LOL, a clear day, without wind, and no chance of rain here. HMMM that wont be till ummmm July. HAHA, just being funny.

OK, so if i need to get all this stuff together, who can reccomend some good primer etc

I know there is a ton of stuff out there, but what do you guys really think is good and have used. Primer, encapsulator, stripping items, etc

I was reading about Rust Bullet yesterday. Is it as good as they say, or is it hype?

Again just my $.02. With the rust spots I would sand and spray with self-etching primer and just get a rattle can of paint that matches your current color as close as possible. Your car may be spotted for awhile but it would stop the rust. Try not to think of painting the whole car right now. If you are planning on painting the car your self this would buy you time to get tools needed. You would also be learning on the small spots to help for the WHOLE JOB.
If you do take the car to a shop to fix the leak just ask them not to use body filler to fix the entire thing. Some shops would just fill with filler and paint over that. Ask them to patch in the work for a more permanate fix. it will cost more but will save more later in the project.
Working on the car without a garage is done all the time. you can do it but it is not the prefered method. I done most of my truck in the yard and then borrowed a friends garage to do the final work and paint. I know here in KY you could buy a porta-car-port ( metal frame with roof) and just use plastic on the sides for a paint booth. They cost $699 installed.
Good luck on your project.
Jeff

RP,
What's around you for tech schools? I was fortunate when my son & I started our first project; I found a tech school about 20 miles from me that offers auto body classes at night. Been going about 2 1/2 years now. We've been able to work on our car there and practice on school vehicles. I hope to put paint to it later this month or the first of April...

The car we are working on? My old '67 Firebird (I've had it for 36 years). A ground up restore. Once completed, I'm going all out on a '72 Duster just recently purchased - yes!
Cal

I forgot to add - the state has paid for my schooling 100%. It has only cost me time and mileage on my truck to go 4 nights a week...
C

Good info, read this.

Rust-Article1.gif

Rust-Article2.gif

Interesting article. Lake Washington Voc. Tech is supposed to have one of the best body shop class around. I was thinking about taking a few quarters of class to see what i can learn.

I've got the same project going with my Dart Sport. I have no experience either but I figure I can learn anything...so I jumped right in (I also have no fear about messing up - after all, I bought the car, it is mine and if I do make a mess of something I'll pay to have it corrected). A neighbor and I are stripping the car completely with Aircraft Stripper first, then will tackle the body work. There are a few spots that have complete rust through that we'll need some help with, but I'm optimistic that if we can get the local body shop guy to show us how to fix one of the spots, we can handle the others.

I saw an earlier post that had an article by Larry Lyle and wanted to add that he has a wealth of information available about body and repair, from books to cd's. I've watched a few of his cd's and read quite a bit of his articles and find him to be extremely helpful.

Hey Mopar girl, that aircraft stripper is awsome, i worked at a FBO at Boeing field and for a couple of other big aircraft co's. Cant beat that stuff, never used it on car paint though. I imagine it would strip automotive paint in no time. gotta get some of that.

great idea

I love strippers! I support single moms. :toothy7:

I have used aircraft stripper to get rid of powdercoating before.

Here is some sage advice:
I always store that stuff on the ground in my garage, you don't want it falling of a shelf and busting open, especially aerosol. I keep any paint, solvent, or corrosive chemicals either on the ground or in a milk crate if on a shelf. Ask me how I learned about that with a can of blue spraypaint! :brave:

-
Back