Beige Fish New Fish

-

BeigeFish68

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I have a 1968 Beigefish originally purchased by my grandfather in Marin County, California. The car changed titles to my Dad and then to me. I acquired the car age 15 in '82 (Dad holding the title over my head until I proved my ability to maintain and handle what became the fastest sleeper in my muscle-laden High School parking lot). I drove it off and on as a daily driver about half time until 1996 when I parked it and registered it PNO. Still has the Black and gold CA plates and a clear title.
I have the original motor in the garage that I swapped out in '90 for a '73 Satellite 318 (with a crappy 130 hp rating--no more 30 foot burnouts from a stand still). The '73 motor was still running, with some valve tick, but first gear went out so I non-opt. The '68 motor should be rebuild-able. I always kept the car stock and never painted it though it has bondo and bends from daily driving. Redid the seats and carpet in the 90's There is hardly any rust as the car has been kept in Chico, CA a dry snow free climate.
I am preparing for sale, getting the numbers and extras together. I still have a another Mopar, my '73 Kary Van which is all the muscle I can maintain right now. I hope to get this to a new home soon. There are tons of family and personal stories about the 'Back-a-ruda' as Grandpa called it.
At his point I'm trying to see what kind of interest and value a car like this has with matching numbers and intact (one of many thousands...not that rare-lol-I know). It's gonna need work. I can go on about what it needs if anyone wants to hear more specifics or just some good stories.

I really like this forum and have been researching here for quite some time. Thanks A-Body nuts...
BeigeFish68.

Picture gallery here:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=5187

dsc01454s.jpg
dsc01454s.jpg

Come on dude, selling, a generational car like that will soon be regreted.
Build/buy a shed just big enough to store, and come back to it later in life.
You`ll be glad you did.
Welcome to the site, hope you decide to keep her:thumblef:

I hear that Mopar Head. I have gone back and forth on this for awhile. To do it right is gonna be pricey as my body skills are horrible and would have to get it done by a pro, or a bro (and I have none of my buds are bodymen).
After reviewing a spreadsheet of motor, tranny rebuild, body-paint, disc conversion and whatnot, I figure $7-9k and 500-1000 hours. Maybe I'm way off. I want another one for retirement, but can't imagine investing the time $$ for 5 or 10 more years. It sure cleaned up nice which throws me back on the fence...I suppose if it's not worth much in this climate, holding it would be a possibility, but man I'm over toyed in my 40s.

Yes its paid for put it away until you can get to it.In the meantime by a part here and there.You will kick yourself in the *** if you sell it.I wish I had one of my Grandfathers cars he bought new even though they were all Fords.

I see I have created a survey as to whether or not I outta sell.
This is cool.
I know every spin out this car has ever been in: three- once towing a boat (which way does one turn the wheel, mid-30mph-jackknife to avoid the irrigation canal I figured it out, obviously). Every speeding ticket, every time it's hit three digit speed, and every time it's gone to the drive-in (oh that trunk could save a few bucks). The car is still asked about by my old friends decades later...priceless?

It sounds like the car is part of the family...if it were my car,I'd do my best to keep it that way and just preserve it best you can until you can afford the resto on it.

Hey beige, it sounds like it holds a warm spot in the heart for you. I dont blame ya, my grandpa had an old fargo(canadian dodge truck) and a dodge van I wish I bought. One thing I can only say is that give a fabo member 1st crack at buying it. We are a great community here and whomever buys it will treat it right. I know if I had the $$ I would...buy it and treat it right that is! Good luck!

I think you are way off with your estimate to return it to the fun car it once was, you dont need to do a 100 point concourse restoration to have fun, just spend what you can afford as you can afford it, plenty of help here then you can drive and enjoy it again,

oh and your pic link dont work

Yes its paid for put it away until you can get to it.In the meantime by a part here and there.You will kick yourself in the *** if you sell it.I wish I had one of my Grandfathers cars he bought new even though they were all Fords.

X2
My father sold collector shotgun when I was a kid that had been in the family 4 generations, his dad and the family is still pissed about it. Even if you end up ok with letting it down I bet your family will think otherwise.

All great input guys.
Pics can be found by clicking on my photo gallery to the left...my apologies on the broken link.
No one in the family cares what happens to the car, or is willing to take it on. We had considered doing the minimum to get it rolling, tranny resto, winshield, brake/master cylinders...and possibly a crate motor instead of rebuilding original for now (at least I think a crate motor is cheaper than a rebuild). My wife has no connection to the car, but wouldn't mind getting groceries in it.
The crunched rear driver quarter from a hit and run is the big bummer. I would assume that means a new panel from the looks of it but don't know what can be straightened out with today's body repair technology...
Last question, would one assume that these models will continue to increase in value, or level off and decrease in value like Model A's as their fans get older? It would be a bummer if they were crazy expensive in the future...however there are over ten thousand of this style built. 318-727.
dsc01361uq.jpg
dsc01355tg.jpg

Model A's are still worth a pretty penny, i've seen just the cab go for what you could sell a running A body for. As far as your car goes, if you don't care, the family members don't care enough to take it over than sell it to someone who will care. A new quarter is less than 400 bucks(plus whatever whoever welds and does the body work charges), the non repro'd parts like the fenders seem to be in good condition. As far as "10's of thousands or that style" being built, count how many 67-69 Mustangs and Camero's you see on the road than count how many A bodies total you see.....

Like I said if you look at it as an investment and could give a flying damn about it sell it to someone who will. They're rare but they're no retirement fund, us Mopar guys are a rare breed, and it's no vanishing point Challenger.

-
Back