Belair front end on a Duster?

-

Burntorange70

Reaction score
A guy is selling this front end off of a 54 Belair. It is from Jim meyer racing. Price is right if I can make it work on my Duster. Here is two pics he has of it. What do you think? Can I shoe horn it in my Duster? Still working on it but it is going to be a BB drag car with a motor plate.

Thanks for the help all.

Attachments

• front end.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 393
  • front end 2.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 405
You can put the front end out of a mack truck in a duster if you want to. It's just going to be an unreasonable amount of fabrication. I suspect this'll be a nightmare to get in. You'll have to custom engineer all your own motor mounts, your steering linkage, how you'll actually position it under the car. And that's presuming it's the right width. You'll have to cut the fenders, and I've no idea what you'd weld it to underneath the car to put it in the right place. I'm not even sure if you'd be able to retain the stock shock mounts. I'd get something designed for A-body as opposed to hacking the car up and wedging this in.

Agree with Deranged in principle. This thing looks a lot like a Pinto front end. It appears to be set up for R&P steering which takes a lot of the problems out of steering geometry. Find out what kind of rack it would use. I don't see a way to attach it in lieu of the Mopar subframe. Hope you are or have access to someone who is a whiz @ fabrication.

To answer your question, however, yes it can be attached. IMHO just because it can doesn't mean it should.

It is going on a drag car with a motor plate. It uses mustang II components and a rack and pinion. I still need to buy rims and tires so NBD there.

Guy is asking $800 for what you see there.

Russ, I'd look at an alter-K and see where the LCA mount is located in relation to the frame mount and center drop of your cross tube. It's gonna take some fab work to get that in there.

If it's cheap enough, have at it.

should be able to work it out ..its a mustang 11 set up just look around the web..also look over on the hamb its a nice write up on putting a mustang 11 set up in from start to finish.. i printed it off and saved it cause i was thinking of going that way..but now i am looking to buy a car that is almost complet with strut frontend...if you cant find the info on the hamb pm and i will see if i can get the link or somehow send you a copy of what i have..and hedits(i think i spelled it right has a write up of it on there page)..mike

keep us posted on how it goes..:prayer::prayer::prayer::prayer::prayer:

would it be profitable enough to sell to chebby guys & get more correct pieces to minimize fabwork ? Either way if u can make it happen seems like a reasonable price if u dont mind the work

also look on you tibe there are lots of vid. that show you how they go in..if you can weld or have a friend that can, and dont mind some fab work i say have at it. you may be able to buy a new cross member and cut that 1 out and use the rest of the parts..they sell diff. width cross members .......:cheers::cheers: as a matter of fact looking at it again the flat mounts on the cross goes to the bottom of the frames if i am looking at it right...if thats the case youll have to take some measurements maybe cut a section and go from there.

How about making your own? I'm sure you could source parts for $800 or under and fab it up man!

Was just a thought. Not sure on it at all. What would it take? I would think you would have to either shorten or lengthen the cross tube and find a way to mount it to the frame rail. Any thing else?

I hope that the town of Aguanga is somewhere far south of Sacramento where I live. :toothy8: Buying some oddball setup and trying to make it fit is like buying boots too small then cutting off your toes to make the boots fit.
I am all for custom fabbed stuff, but to make this work, you may need divine intervention!

I hope that the town of Aguanga is somewhere far south of Sacramento where I live. :toothy8: Buying some oddball setup and trying to make it fit is like buying boots too small then cutting off your toes to make the boots fit.
I am all for custom fabbed stuff, but to make this work, you may need divine intervention!

Where I come from, that's called "Hot Rodding"...

Greg

Attachments

• Dakota components 0081.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 216

Well I only have said it two times in this thread and put up a link to my build thread where it also says this is going to be a DRAG CAR. Don't stand in the middle of the track and you will be just fine.

I am all for "hot rodding"!
I made my own subframe connectors, torque boxes and many other parts for my Charger. I just wince when I read about these aftermarket front end kits. Replacing the factory stuff with something like this just seems even worse. If you can make it work, it would be cool to read about it though.

-
Back