bell housing question

-

1968dartman

life is getting better!!
Reaction score
I am gathering parts to put a 4 speed in my dart and have a question on bell housings. Are all small block bell housings the same for an 833 tranny? I got the tranny today, but it did not come with a bell housing. Thanks for your help on this.

I don't know all the differences, so rather than spout a bunch of bull, I said what I know, and essentially what you asked. I have had at least four different kinda small block bellhousings myself. I guess that's what I get for trying to help. At least I didn't give you an answer that was full of crap. Next time I just won't give a damn answer at all I don't think.

In all fairness, you asked "are all bellhousings the same"

Rusty gave you the answer.

All I know is, they have to fit the engine

They have to fit the body

They have to fit the transmission

You have to have a flywheel that is compatible with the bell

Such things as early 273s used a very small clutch/ flywheel. You could use a setup like that, but getting a high performance clutch in one of those won't happen

Something out of a truck won't work, I don't know if it'll clear the body, but it likely will be drilled for a "truck" transmission.

What does that leave us with? About 68--76 340/ 360 A bodies, I would guess.

Plus, you also have the A/F body AND truck overdrive bellhousings. Including those, there could be as many as 6-8 different bellhousings for the small block.

Thanks guys, that helps a lot. I just want to make sure that I do not waste money on a bell housing that won't work for my application. I want to put the tranny in my car, but CAN'T waste money on parts that will not work.

That is EXCELLENT. Thanks for this, and I did not mean any disrespect on my first response- hope none was taken- just trying to get educated.

I'm bout used to it to tell you the truth. I need a t shirt with tire tracks on the back I guess.

-
Back