Bell to trans bolts. Grade 5 or 8 ?

-

ValiantOne

Reaction score
Went through the bolt pile tonight and came up with four 7/16X14 grade 5 bolts of the proper length to mate my bell to the O/D trans.

Is grade 5 ok or do I really need grade 8.

Thanks

CE

I just went out and checked mine. The bottom 2 are grade 5 (3 lines) but I can't see the top ones. I have 535 ft-lbs of torque and launch at the dragstrip at 4000 rpm with drag radials so I think you're good!

Sometimes grade 5 ,is better than grade 8. This is one of those times. The higher a "grade bolt rating" goes up, tensile rating /hardness , gives up duration of lifespan, in trade for longevity. Not the proper analytics answer, it does exist.

There are actually very few bolts in an engine which are high strength, IE more than grade 5

I guess the rod bolts are, the main bolts. Probably the head bolts, and the flywheel bolts

Thanks all. Two of the bolts came from a baggie I had marked "bell housing and starter" so I was hoping I was good. They're even all Chrysler bolts.

In areas like that it doesn't matter what grade you use. Grade 5 is way more than adequate. They don't get torqued very high and the engine block or the bellhousing will break long before any of those bolts will.

-
Back