Bellhousing Compatability

-

ckj688

Reaction score
Okay, so during my search for a bellhousing...I have come across many with the casting number 3743859...

http://www.mymopar.com/bellhousingcastnumb.htm

^according to there, this bellhousing is for 10.5" or 11" clutches...also for an E-Body...BUT...will this also fit in an A-Body or will I run into interference issues when mounting the transmission?

Thanks in advance!
Craig

Okay, so during my search for a bellhousing...I have come across many with the casting number 3743859...

http://www.mymopar.com/bellhousingcastnumb.htm

^according to there, this bellhousing is for 10.5" or 11" clutches...also for an E-Body...BUT...will this also fit in an A-Body or will I run into interference issues when mounting the transmission?

Thanks in advance!
Craig

Are you running an OD trans? If not you need casting # 2892482

yeah, I'm running OD...I'm just worried that the extra space added for an 11" clutch would create problems, this is my first time doing a swap!

Isn't that casting for a slant 6?

Look's like 3 speed, and OD 4 speed A833 to me on the chart. The easiest way to see what you need is measure your retainer bearing, and call Brewers Performance, they will help with what casting number you need, they are really great to work with.

Brewers Performance
PH: 937-698-4259

Look's like A/F body aluminum case trans, the 4 numbers after the pp833 is your build date , it's based on a 10,000 day calender. The number 5193, Im guessing your trans was built around Oct, 1975. What is the part # on the bearing retainer , on the input shaft? Should be 2960122, or 3878596, that's what will determine your bellhousing. Nice looking trans by the way.

hmmm, this one says C13157...

Ok, just get a measument of the outside diameter on the big side, where its bolted to the trans. Should be 5.125", If so the bellhousing part number is 3743859. If you look on Brewers Performance website you will see all the diferent bellhousings, this is the one for an A body with 10 1/2" clutch. You will be running a 10 1/2" clutch with a smallblock. Send me a PM, and I'll give you my number if you need anymore help with your conversion.

Jeff

I had seen that one but the 11" inch clutch part of the description scared me away, unless his description is wrong I would think it's just for 10.5"? 11" would be for B/E? I noticed on Brewer's website you had to specify it was for an A-Body...

I had seen that one but the 11" inch clutch part of the description scared me away, unless his description is wrong I would think it's just for 10.5"? 11" would be for B/E? I noticed on Brewer's website you had to specify it was for an A-Body...

There pretty much all 10 1/2 or 11. I would call them they will explain the difference. They want 200 plus for the same one on ebay thats 99. I have talked to them several times, no charge for questions.

Okay, so I called up Brewer's...he basically said that the difference between A/F and B/E bellhousing was the fork pivots...since I'm a newb at this...is it safe to say that the bellhousing itself is the same through the two and that the fork pivot which can be bought separate is whats different?

Yes, the pivot is just a little metal bracket that bolts onto the inside of the bell, then the fork has a metal tab on the back of it that clips onto the pivot bracket. There are allways clutch forks for sale on ebay also, or from brewers performance.

I was not aware that any small block cars came with 11" clutches. I would venture it is the same set up as the 9.5" and 10" clutches used in slant 6's, the 10" was a heavy duty fleet application. Both sizes bolted to the same flywheel and were used with the same bell housing.

I think you are over thinking the whole casting number thing. If it's a A833 4spd (can't bolt a 4spd to some of the 3spd bell housings) small block bell housing with the 5.125" bearing retainer hole it will work. The brackets the fork pivots on only vary in that they bolt down differently to accommodate the size of the bearing retainer hole (the later truck/van bell housings use a ball pivot for the fork but they work just fine in an A-body, I did it). Also, the later bell housings have the holes that the z-bar pivot bolts to moved slightly so you will need the pivot for the same generation bell housing).

so casting numbers are different? how can I tell that the bellhousing will work, according to Brewers Performance, that casting number was accurate for it's application, I'm confused with this whole thing now!

I was not aware that any small block cars came with 11" clutches. .

I believe you're right, but the horrid so called 10.9" thing used in B bodies fits a 10.5" bolt pattern flywheel. Maybe the seller thought that's what he had.

Hmm, so I guess what I should ask now is (now that it appears that I have to buy ANOTHER one) how do I know that I am purchasing a bellhousing that will fit?

I was pretty much just going off of this when getting my bellhousing...

Reconditioned original 10.5" small block bellhousing cast #3743859 to fit 1975-6 A-body/1975-80 F-body/1976-80 truck (can also be used in B/E applications with appropriate fork pivot bracket)318/360 A-833 overdrive applications, 5.125" bearing retainer opening, uses 130 tooth flywheel.

No one can help me out? I didn't even know that the size of the opening existed for transmissions...I thought the next size down was 4.XX? I need to order a new bellhousing pretty soon and need to know how to describe mine so I can sell it!

Easy fix to this. Take the bearing retainer off of the trans. Take that and the bell housing to a good machinist and have him turn down the bearing retainer to fit the bell. Cost me twenty bucks to do this same thing.

There ain't but THREE bellhousin bearing retainer openings for Mopars. One is 4.80, one is 5.125 and I forget the third. That bellhousing you have is RIGHT for the overdrive transmission you have. Make SURE you wiggle the calipers around to get them right in the center. They are normally a tight fit, but that much of an interference fit seems a bit tight.

What is the casting number on the bell you have now?
Somebody may of took a 4.35 bell and machined it until a 4.80 would fit.
That would explain why the bell is smaller than the retainer.

-
Back