-
Status
Not open for further replies.

73Sport

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Upgrading to an overdrive transmission and I need a #3743859 bellhousing. If available, please PM with price and location. Thanks..........

Here's a trick I did with my 73 Roadrunner 4 speed OD swap, and it worked perfectly. I turned the 5.125 Bearing retainer down to the std. 833 size. A small tack weld at the very bottom of the retainer where the weep hole was exposed fixed that issue, and allen head bolts through the retainer and into the case fixed the other issue. I did have to dress the sides of the bolts to get them to clear the bellhousing, but I could have just as easilly ground the clearance for those into the housing. Doing it this way makes swapping between the transmissions a piece of cake.

Upgrading to an overdrive transmission and I need a #3743859 bellhousing. If available, please PM with price and location. Thanks..........

I've got an extra make me an offer. Located in 60176 so you can get an idea of shipping.

Here's a trick I did with my 73 Roadrunner 4 speed OD swap, and it worked perfectly. I turned the 5.125 Bearing retainer down to the std. 833 size. A small tack weld at the very bottom of the retainer where the weep hole was exposed fixed that issue, and allen head bolts through the retainer and into the case fixed the other issue. I did have to dress the sides of the bolts to get them to clear the bellhousing, but I could have just as easilly ground the clearance for those into the housing. Doing it this way makes swapping between the transmissions a piece of cake.

I have some friends that also suggested turning the bearing housing to fit the existing bell housing. That may be the way to go. The hole that was exposed, is that in the bearing housing, or in the transmission? I don't have the OD tranny in my possession yet, so I haven't had a chance to get a good look at it......... Thanks for your response!!

I've got an extra make me an offer. Located in 60176 so you can get an idea of shipping.

I don't know where to begin with an offer, simply because I have seen so many different prices on these as I've been looking for them. I don't want to make a lowball offer and anger you, and I don't want to cut my own throat with a ridiculous offer, so if you could give me an idea what you may want for it, I would appreciate it. Thanks............

I have some friends that also suggested turning the bearing housing to fit the existing bell housing. That may be the way to go. The hole that was exposed, is that in the bearing housing, or in the transmission? I don't have the OD tranny in my possession yet, so I haven't had a chance to get a good look at it......... Thanks for your response!!

The hole that is exposed is the return for any oil that sloshes past the front bearing in the trans. The bearing retainer has a channel at the very bottom that becomes exposed when you turn it down. The very bottom of the drain hole in the trans is also exposed, but by just a couple thousandths of an inch. I had perhaps .005 of this hole open on mine when everything was said and done. My solution was a thin smear of JB weld, and then a skim of RTV in the bell housing register. After a few thousand miles of use, there is zero sign of leakage or seeping. My plan B, in case there was any seeping, was to tap and plug that hole, and then redrill it slightly higher. Look at yours and make your own judgment call.
Honestly, after doing it this way, I would never even consider hunting down a big diameter bell again. In fact, if I had one, I'd sell it and turn down the retainer anyway, just to keep everything standard and simple.

I don't know where to begin with an offer, simply because I have seen so many different prices on these as I've been looking for them. I don't want to make a lowball offer and anger you, and I don't want to cut my own throat with a ridiculous offer, so if you could give me an idea what you may want for it, I would appreciate it. Thanks............

I've got an extra OD trans to how about we say $450 plus shipping for both or $100 plus shipping for just the bellhousing? I can sweeten the deal and do $500 for a trans/bellhousing/hurst shifter?

I've got an extra OD trans to how about we say $450 plus shipping for both or $100 plus shipping for just the bellhousing? I can sweeten the deal and do $500 for a trans/bellhousing/hurst shifter?

I have located a NOS tranny that I'm trading some stuff for, so I don't need the transmission, but I think I'm going to see what it might take to turn the bearing housing as has been suggested by some of my friends and the other fellow on here. Thanks for replying to my query, and I'll keep your offer handy in case I decide not to turn the housing.

I have located a NOS tranny that I'm trading some stuff for, so I don't need the transmission, but I think I'm going to see what it might take to turn the bearing housing as has been suggested by some of my friends and the other fellow on here. Thanks for replying to my query, and I'll keep your offer handy in case I decide not to turn the housing.
it's by far easier to turn the bellhousing hole instead of cutting the bearing support.

it's by far easier to turn the bellhousing hole instead of cutting the bearing support.

Very true, but then the bell can only be used for an OD trans. I did mine so that I could keep the OD trans for regular driving, and then make a quick swap when I wanted to take the car to the track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back