Bellhousing question

-

Brambles

Reaction score
I'm piecing together a 4 speed setup for my 1969 Swinger and have the 1971 4 speed but no bellhousing. My friend has 2 bellhousings both are 833OD units with the 5.125 bearing retainer hole.

Can I use one of these bellhousings on a 4 speed with a 4.80 bearing retainer and have no problems or does the bearing retainer to bellhousing fit need to be tight. In my mind i can see it being a weaker solution because you have the weight of the tranny on the bolts only instead of the bolts and bearing retainer flange.

What have you guys done, and is there a difference in the way the clutch and linkages are set up on the 833 vs the 833 OD?

Thanks

Brambles

The retainer has to fit tight in the bellhousing. This is what registers the trans so it is inline with the crank. You can either have a bushing made at a machine shop that fits over the bearing retainer or depending on the bolt pattern on the trans you could just bolt on a OD bearing retainer on your trans.

I am have a 833OD I am going to put in my Duster and I am looking for an OD V8 bellhousing. Would you buddy want to sell one? if so how much.

Chuck

The other thing is the location the z-bar ball stud bolts to the bell housing moved in 72 so the OD bell housings will have the revised location. You will need to either modify the ball stud bracket or purchase a correct bracket from Brewers.

YEar One and a number ov other places sell the bearing retainers and you could get one that has the 5.125 outside diameter. Just have to make sure that you also get one that fits the bearing. There was two sizes. All the OD trannies have the big one and I belive there was a mix between trannies that had the 4.80 retainer.

-
Back