Belts Question??

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
This is actually a two part question. I have a 1965 Barracuda with a 225 slant six. First I am buying a used AC system from a guy who claims that it does not require an idler pulley. Looking at the service manual is anything but helpful in respect to this. My question is whether this is possible or not. He seems to think it goes from the cam gear to the power steering up to the AC compressor. Secondly what are the proper belt lengths for the Fan / Alternator / Cam Drive and the Power Steering Belt. And if it is true that the power steering belt drives the AC Compressor the length for it.

no...... even the dealer air cars ran a seperate belt. and your harmonic balancer is different for a/c. im having trouble with mine too boot. :wack:

Attachments

• 2012-06-04_21-57-42_836.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 123
These are the number I came up with for a 65 Barracuda with power steering and air conditioning.

Hydraulic Power Steering
With Air Conditioning
Outside Circumference (in): 39.58

Fan And Alternator
Outside Circumference (in): 58.08

Oklacarcollecto So then it is possible that there is not an idler pulley?

It would seem to me that with nearly 19 inches difference that it would be direct.

is this a/c system for the 65? is it a factory air system? because my car lists 2 sizes for the p/s belt also but the belts arent even close to one another. is your compressor a single or dual groove?

Oklacarcollecto So then it is possible that there is not an idler pulley?

It would seem to me that with nearly 19 inches difference that it would be direct.

I am seeing these as two seperate belts running on the blue highlighted items. I am not absolutely sure but since it lists different componets I think it is two belts. NOTE: Factory application.

Hydraulic Power Steering
With Air Conditioning
Outside Circumference (in): 39.58

Fan And Alternator
Outside Circumference (in): 58.08

Yes lildemonkid it is for the 65. I have attached the pictures the guy sent me. I have not picked it up yet. The second picture indicates a single groove.

DSC09667.jpg

DSC09666.jpg

He thinks it was a 70 or 71 it is not off a 65 though. From what I understand though up to 74 parts are interchangeable. After that not everything is a direct fit.

Are you thinking this may not work?

He thinks it was a 70 or 71 it is not off a 65 though. From what I understand though up to 74 parts are interchangeable. After that not everything is a direct fit.

Are you thinking this may not work?

I just pulled up the compressor and it shows 1968 back on the interchange. That don't mean it won't but it may mean you must have every pulley off the donor car.

Hmm that is going to be difficult. This guy is a stripper/wrecker. From what I can tell he has a little of everything.

He did tell me it was an a body. As I recall he said a Scamp and he definitely said it was off a slant six.

oklacarcollecto i understand what you are saying however i am going to attach some images and i hope to help you understand what you are talking about. jhdeval check out the images i have and i hope i can answer some more questions for you. the /6 a/c system is quite strange as i've noticed piecing mine back together. take special notice to the shape of the bracket and where it mounts. how the pulleys line up (what you can see). and how it covers the p/s bracket

Attachments

• 2012-05-10_15-23-25_773.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 2012-05-15_13-04-11_549[1].jpg
    92 KB · Views: 102
  • 2012-05-10_15-10-17_450.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 104
Hmm that is going to be difficult. This guy is a stripper/wrecker. From what I can tell he has a little of everything.

He did tell me it was an a body. As I recall he said a Scamp and he definitely said it was off a slant six.

He sure didn't bother sealing up the compressor. I would find a complete system is still sealed and go that way. Do you already have the condenser in your car?

lildemonkid Thank you I did have questions as to where it all mounted. That helps tremendously.

Hopefully once I have everything I can get a better idea as to what I am missing. I am only paying a $100 for the compressor, lines, drier and condenser.

oklacarcollecto i understand what you are saying however i am going to attach some images and i hope to help you understand what you are talking about. jhdeval check out the images i have and i hope i can answer some more questions for you. the /6 a/c system is quite strange as i've noticed piecing mine back together. take special notice to the shape of the bracket and where it mounts. how the pulleys line up (what you can see). and how it covers the p/s bracket

No power steering? Your compressor clutch belt pulley diameter is way bigger than what jhdeval is showing. That would allow more clearence wouldn't it?

i dont think he's gonna have that much luck. when you have the refrigerant put in just make sure that you have the system vacuumed. replace the drier filter, and you may have to have the compressor rebuilt (reed valves) or replaced.

lildemonkid Thank you I did have questions as to where it all mounted. That helps tremendously.

Hopefully once I have everything I can get a better idea as to what I am missing. I am only paying a $100 for the compressor, lines, drier and condenser.

look at your bracket and mine again. look different

I do not have the condenser yet. As for the compressor do you think I need to move on and not buy it?

i dont think he's gonna have that much luck. when you have the refrigerant put in just make sure that you have the system vacuumed. replace the drier filter, and you may have to have the compressor rebuilt (reed valves) or replaced.

Since the seller isn't sure what his came out of be sure to have him measure the condenser so you can make sure it will fit your car.

No power steering? Your compressor clutch belt pulley diameter is way bigger than what jhdeval is showing. That would allow more clearence wouldn't it?

the idler covers the p/s bracket. i have a pic with everything mounted. thats where the length difference comes in. i think there is a spacer under the bracket for the p/s which would make it require a longer belt. and i wish. i'm having clearance issues myself.

the idler covers the p/s bracket. i have a pic with everything mounted. thats where the length difference comes in. i think there is a spacer under the bracket for the p/s which would make it require a longer belt. and i wish. i'm having clearance issues myself.

oops forgot pic

Attachments

• 2012-06-04_01-13-36_612.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 113
I would wait and buy a complete set up off one person. With all the motor conversions done by the guys on FABO I would think you could get a complete system that has been taken care of.

lildemonkid I am not sure we have different brackets. They do look similar. Either way it does show that the bracket mounts to the water pump which was a question.

As for the final setup. I was going to save the money and at least install everything then let a professional evacuate and fill the system. That way they can verify I have no leaks and everything is good.

lildemonkid I am not sure we have different brackets. They do look similar. Either way it does show that the bracket mounts to the water pump which was a question.

As for the final setup. I was going to save the money and at least install everything then let a professional evacuate and fill the system. That way they can verify I have no leaks and everything is good.

What freon are you both planning on using?

i believe that bracket is off a 273. but idk. and i agree. wait for a complete system. you need an expansion valve and a lot of other parts to go along with this. alot can be made and/or ordered. and in all honesty i think that is a v8 bracket.

-
Back