"Bench seat" console project

-

bighammer

Reaction score
When I decided to keep my car as a bench seat car, the idea of ever having a console never crossed my mind. But recently I came up with the idea of making a custom console for my bench seat car. I've never seen this done, although I'm sure there are others out there. Here is how I designed mine.

It started out as a cardboard and duct tape "mock-up". I measured everything out, and cut out the shapes with a utility knife, then taped it all together. Then I placied it in the car and checked for fitment:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 400
This looked okay, (I spray painted it black) but seemed a little plain, and I wanted a place to install gauges, etc, so I modified it a bit and came up with this design:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 350
Again, after checking for clearances, I decided to proceed with a wood version. Here are some of the cut out pieces:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 352
I'm using MDO plywood, 1/2" thick for the material. After cutting, glueing, and clamping it together, it's taking shape:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 357
Here it is, mostly complete. My original thought was to cover it with either vinyl or carpet. Or a combo of the two since I have extra of each from when I reupholstered the interior.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 348
Here it is sitting in the car. I'm now considering applying some sort of spray on finish, something like a Rhino Liner coating or similar. I've seen this done with speaker boxes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 350
I may or may not be liking this
guess it depends on if she can still slide over close enough with that installed

but I am definitely interested

A different view. I'm looking for ideas on how to finish the outside of it... I am planning on a built-in drink holder (COFFEE!) on the flat part. Gauges will go in the upper angled panel. (The panel is temporarily removed in this picture)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 348
I may or may not be liking this
guess it depends on if she can still slide over close enough with that installed

but I am definitely interested

Hahaha, yeah, that was a consideration for me as well. Ultimately, I decided to scrap the idea of my car ever having an available seat up front in the center position. But there is definitely plenty of room for my sweetie to slide over next to me when "parked".

lol, cupholders is the only thing I wish I had in my duster
(well, that and an engine, but im working on the engine)

oh, and don't be surprised it this thread migrates to the "interior" section

Hahaha, yeah, that was a consideration for me as well. Ultimately, I decided to scrap the idea of my car ever having an available seat up front in the center position. But there is definitely plenty of room for my sweetie to slide over next to me when "parked".

when your parked you don't want her "next" to you

but ill try to keep in mind this is a family forum

great idea i just got a B&M shifter that i hate the plastic housing on and Im struggling with places to put all the gauges and tach.Plus somebody hacked the dashfor a new radio so something like this could house all my gauges and radio plus act as a decent housing/cover for my shifter and maybe a cup holder or two lol

well just send that B&M shifter my way and there will be plenty of room for your gauges, coffee and radio

My intention WAS to put in a B&M ratchet shifter... It's still new, in the box. I tried to mock it up, but it just won't fit. It's the B&M "Star" shifter. I had one in a '67 Firebird once, and I absolutely loved that shifter. But it won't work in my car. B&M Star Shifter for sale, if anyone is interested... $115 plus shipping

My intention WAS to put in a B&M ratchet shifter... It's still new, in the box. I tried to mock it up, but it just won't fit. It's the B&M "Star" shifter. I had one in a '67 Firebird once, and I absolutely loved that shifter. But it won't work in my car. B&M Star Shifter for sale, if anyone is interested... $115 plus shipping

i have buckets(originally bench but it was totally trash) in my car so mine would be a tad longer.i suppose could put in a factory console but what fun would that be.

$115 plus shipping

there you go

Final pics ?? In curious how it turned out. I'm thinking of one for my car but longer and narrowing in the back to cover my b&m floor shifter and go between my seats with cup holders and maybe small storage.

Final pics ?? In curious how it turned out. I'm thinking of one for my car but longer and narrowing in the back to cover my b&m floor shifter and go between my seats with cup holders and maybe small storage.

since the OP seems to me MIA...this is what I did to mine

If I ever got to building the custom console for my 67 fish, it will have a raised and radiused perimeter, the top inset 3/4 inch.
Its sides will be covered with temp-pleated vinyl material salvaged from used door panels. The top would be fabed from metal so it can be powder coated to match the dash. As always, I have a lot more in my mind than I'll ever have in my hand.
Back when I had the factory console on the workbench to repair a broken corner, I considered using the door panel material on it's sides. It's lack of cup holders and hinged armrest renders it unworthy.

If I ever got to building the custom console for my 67 fish, it will have a raised and radiused perimeter, the top inset 3/4 inch.
Its sides will be covered with temp-pleated vinyl material salvaged from used door panels. The top would be fabed from metal so it can be powder coated to match the dash. As always, I have a lot more in my mind than I'll ever have in my hand.
Back when I had the factory console on the workbench to repair a broken corner, I considered using the door panel material on it's sides. It's lack of cup holders and hinged armrest renders it unworthy.

Why not shorten the front half of the storage door on your stock console, make a new insert, and install a cup holder where the ashtray is, and another cup holder right behind it

-
Back