Bench Seat Help please

-

wes beem

Reaction score
Hello, i got some good condition undamaged bench seats for my 72 dart, only problem is, the car is black and sublime green, and the seat is Baby blue...Now, i dont wanna spend 500-1000$ reupholstering a seat that aint even damaged, but i also dont want my seat to be blue, is there any permanent method that could be used to change the color of this seat to either green or black, and will the fabric bit cause further issues? Its never gonna be a show car but id like it to be presentable and look good
20517730_10207310473160057_1399801732_o.jpg
. Its like an off grey now. pic attatched.

Why not try using some interior dye. Many members have had good success changing colors, especially if going to black!

SEM makes a good product...

I agree, buy the seat upholstery kit and replace it yourself. Its not difficult.

The PPG store near me carries it.
I can't say about dying the fabric for durability.
But I've used "dye" on vinyl with good results.
You need to keep dark colors dark and light colors light though.
Or you can spend 400 dollars with Legendary for correct covers and recover them.
It isn't hard.

If you do this, wear a respirator.
It's nasty smelling.

09-03537.jpg

You can get away with the blue as long as the dog is sitting there. People will notice the dog first and not even care about the mis-matched seat!

If you do decide to dye it, the surface will need to be clean, prepped with a good cleaner, and dry. Then after you spray it, it will need to cure, dry thoroughly. Otherwise the dog and your jeans will get color on them, lol

OK so the SEM will take care of the vinyl, ANy suggestions for the fabric?

I once dyed the bench seat in my W200 red. I'd prepped the heck out of it, probably could have worn it for surgery it was that clean. Looked good for all of 3 months until the summer heat came in, then it got a sticky feeling to it and stained everything that touched it. Spend the money in the upholstery kit

since it's undamaged, I'd say just throw a cheap seat cover over it and save your cash.

I'd say you have other places your money could be spent..

-
Back