Bench seats & floor shifter?

-

Saetun

Sinister Swinger
Reaction score
Believe it or not I really like the bench seat in my '73 swinger however I really like the look & driveablility of a floor shifted car & have been kicking around the idea of an eventual conversion.

I dont see any reason why a bench seat & floor shifted automatic need to be mutually exclusive. Seems like kits are very prevalent & seem easy to accomplish. Anyone gone this route & if so can you share some pics so I can better grasp the aesthetics? Thanks much.

Pardon the mess. It needs a vacuum.

Attachments

• shifter right.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 1,847
  • shifter center.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 2,178
I think that looks great Badsport. Like I mentioned, I really do like the bench. What are your thoughts since making the switch. Any advice or thoughts on the process or outcome? Is the height of the shifter comfortable? Do believe it improved your driving experience? Is a cable used in lieu of linkage so you can basically mount anywhere? Any welding or just cutting? Sorry for the question barrage.

I think that looks great Badsport. Like I mentioned, I really do like the bench. What are your thoughts since making the switch.
I like it.

Any advice or thoughts on the process or outcome?
It was a pretty straight forward install.

Is the height of the shifter comfortable?
It's OK, I should have moved it back just a little, and I may yet.

Do believe it improved your driving experience?
Oh yeah, I like the ratchet much better.

Is a cable used in lieu of linkage so you can basically mount anywhere?
Yes, cable.

Any welding or just cutting? Sorry for the question barrage.
No welding, no cutting. Just the drilling of 4 holes to mount the shifter and one larger hole to run the cable through.

Has anyone done this with the 727. I actually bought a hurst shifter and tried to install it and got so frustrated I just returned it.

Awesome. That sounds very doable. Thanks again Badsport.

I'd love to see other folks that have done the same thing with different kits. And hear their thoughts or experiences. Any T-handles out there or other set ups that anyone would like to share?

Just so you know, with the shifter I have the knob/handle is interchangeable. It probably is on most of them.

I am also looking to put a floor shifter in a 72 Swinger with a bench. Two reasons; I like the bench and my car is a 6 to V8 swap and the column linkage does't work right. Any suggestions for shifter brand or part number. Trans is a 727.
Thanks

Had a Hurst 1/4 stick in the Dart before I switched to a 4 speed, w/a bench seat. Had no issues w/the install but watch where you route the shifter cable, I mean close to exhaust pipes or headers, it will melt. I slipped 5/8" heater hose over the cable where the heat would be the greatest. Again, never had a problem.

i will be doing exactly this swap in the very near future. i am building a low budget 65 valiant with a bench seat and floor shifter for a cruiser. I will be taking the shifter apart and building my own shifter arm though. I want the shifter to come up and back so i dont have to reach down and grab the handle. here is the handle i made for my dart. it will be similar but taller.

i had a plywood welding station in the living room of my 1 bedroom apt. lol I built my dash there also. ha ha ha

http://s370.photobucket.com/user/johnnydart_photo/media/DSCN0688_zps8eb5e3aa.jpg.html
needless to say, i was single.

that's what I call a dream husband in making. :thumblef::thumblef::thumblef:

I don't have car parts in the kitchen yet but I have them all over the house ......the bathtub doubles as a good place to paint prep and wet sand smaller freshly painted parts.

and a bedroom makes a good place to store choice fragile parts like dash clusters and bucket seats. LOL

I guess its what single car people do LOL

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=228232

that's what I call a dream husband in making. :thumblef::thumblef::thumblef:

I don't have car parts in the kitchen yet but I have them all over the house ......the bathtub doubles as a good place to paint prep and wet sand smaller freshly painted parts.

and a bedroom makes a good place to store choice fragile parts like dash clusters and bucket seats. LOL

I guess its what single car people do LOL

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=228232

well how about i get you a plane ticket and we make this magic happen? lol

One of my favorite shifters is a B&M Pro Ratchet Shifter.Jegs # 130-80842 Street and raced with them same shifter both trannys. 904&727. My 65 Belvedere was a bench seat.

I swear Rani, 99 out of a 100 guys on this site are in love with you !

:thumblef:
One of my favorite shifters is a B&M Pro Ratchet Shifter.Jegs # 130-80842 Street and raced with them same shifter both trannys. 904&727. My 65 Belvedere was a bench seat.

I swear Rani, 99 out of a 100 guys on this site are in love with you !

-
Back