Bend yourself or replace ?

-

grassy

Reaction score
Folks,

I am not putting 36 year old brake/gas lines back into the Duster. The orginal lines look like they were designed buy someone who was on something..

Is it cheaper / easier to buy pre built or just a coil ? I have a flairing kit ....I am concerned about shipping since they are long..

Anyone done this before ?

Thanks
ian.

for the valiant I got a 25' roll of polymer coated steel line, did the brake lines and gas lines out of this and it last really well. you can get it at napa or carquest here in the valley. Just make sure to double flare your brake lines

bend your own, it just takes time and patience,
the pre bent ones are quicker and easier
IF they sent the correct ones, and IF the car is 100% original

I like the "if's" :) ..one company is pushing alunimum lines..would be ok for gas but brakes ?

Double flare just gives you that extra amount of safety ?? ..thought I had single flared my last job but that was way long ago.

Thanks
ian.

You can use a wire coat hanger to make a "test fit" before you bend the lines-and make very sure that you have a good quality double flare tool-the cheap ones break off the nub that the tubing goes over

One question if you buy a roll of steel line, how do you straighten it out?

Double flare just gives you that extra amount of safety ?? ..thought I had single flared my last job but that was way long ago.

Thanks
ian.

A single flare for brake lines will leak. The shape of a single flare doesn't seal properly when tightened down, unlike a double flare. Be patient doing a double flare, they can be tricky to do a correct one that doesn't leak. At least, for me.

Couple blocks of wood are handy to get the tube straight. Lightly tap it til the bend is gone. I use a anvil and body hammer to tap the stuff straight.

The line kits for fuel and brakes that are long are usually wound up in a circle for shipping ease and require straightening before install.

No aluminum for brake lines would be my suggestion.

Thanks..I am sold. I have the old lines for a template and just found a fuel line 'clip" kit so I will do both. Steel for brakes and steel or alunimum for gas line and return. I will check to see if my kit dies do double flare..thanks for that tip !

Grassy

This is the flaring kit I used on my 67 Barracuda, did stainless lines and this tool made it sooo much easier

Attachments

• 2011-07-30_12-42-28_353.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 186
just installed a set of inline tube brake lines on a friends 68 dart. dropped right in with no problem.. biggest pain in the *** was the one that goes behind the motor with the motor in there..lol i would prefer spending the money and sticking the pre bent ones on that also come with the spring looking protect-ant on it..

I would be inclined to buy pre-bent, as I never have any luck flaring lines and the auto parts preflared lines always seem like they are either too short or too long

A single flare for brake lines will leak. The shape of a single flare doesn't seal properly when tightened down, unlike a double flare. Be patient doing a double flare, they can be tricky to do a correct one that doesn't leak. At least, for me.

Not exactly true. The reason MOST automotive lines are double flared is because they use galvanized steel tubing. This tubing has a seam and will split in an inverted flare fitting. I've done single flares with stainless and not had any problems, although on brake lines I still double flare the stainless for extra thickness on the seat. (Most fittings are designed around the double flare).

Where did you get that kit from ?

I don't remember where I bought it, got 4 or 5 years ago. Here is who makes it so you can do a search.
Mastercool 71475 Universal Hydraulic Flaring Tool Set

I paid around $300 (IRC). Worked very well. Will be using it agian to do lines for my 65 Dart.

-
Back