bent crank ?

-
LOL, Gotta remember those type books are written for dummies that don't know **** so they have to read a book about it. Some of the books have useful information. Black and Decker house wiring for example. I read that whole book and wired my house to code and correctly! Not so much with this one though. In truth I have built engines my whole life. I may not know all the little speed secrets with some of it but I'll bet ya I can build a pretty damn solid engine.......(if I can keep my 340 block from splitting this time!!!! haha)

That's one thing Larry Shepard got right. The rest of that book should be used to soak up spilled oil or to start a fire.

The chapter on cams actually mentions that a cam has 16 lobes and 5 journals. No ****, Larry? I couldn't count those myself.

Crank is already turned ten under when I got it. But I can post some pictures of the journals if it would help.

Thx !!! looking forward to said pics,

Thing is Dragonbat13;
I could give a f/lyn f less about old wives tales, genius web builders, E=mc2, or the be all end all 'guru' lemming clap trap...

Mech1
The Iron does not lie

Throw it in some homemade v blocks, and dial indicate it(or let your machinist ,check it out). It's thick forged /stamped steel, not likely leaned against a wall. Seen cranks DROPPED/MISHANDLED, take a hit on straightness. In my "apprenticeship" in speed/machine shop.. I knocked over a .010/.010 forged steel Chev crank in '92 ... He threw it on, the V blocks for balancing, straightened it with a couple whacks, hammer wise...(runout gauge, it takes a serious knowledge...)

Clean it up, oil it, put the bearings in the block and torque the main caps. If it spins free by hand, Install oil seal, check thrust clearance and you are good to go. If you have to know, run a dial indicator on the middle journal.

I wiped it down to get all the dust off of it, sprayed it down with marvel mystery oil, mounted a magnum flexplate on it, and wrapped it in plastic wrap for storage.

If I ever find out if it is bent ill let yall know.

A bent crank works fine . lmao can we find truth with this old wives tale.
take it to a machine shop.

Maybe more likely with an old Ford flathead V8 crank with only 3 mains; they are a lot more 'spindly'....perhaps. If thye really did that, I would have had a few dozen bent cranks over the years.... I never heard of storing them on end 'til now.

Storing cranks on end makes sense if you have a lot of them.... it takes up less space... Maybe that's what the old wives really had in mind...."You're not bringing that crankshaft into my kitchen again unless you store it on end...I'm tired of tripping over all your junk!" LOL

Maybe more likely with an old Ford flathead V8 crank with only 3 mains; they are a lot more 'spindly'....perhaps. If thye really did that, I would have had a few dozen bent cranks over the years.... I never heard of storing them on end 'til now.

Storing cranks on end makes sense if you have a lot of them.... it takes up less space... Maybe that's what the old wives really had in mind...."You're not bringing that crankshaft into my kitchen again unless you store it on end...I'm tired of tripping over all your junk!" LOL

Exactly my point. If cranks bent laying them in a corner, then there would have been a bajillion engine failures from it by now and we would all know about it.

It's really not hard to figure out. It ain't bent.

I asked just to be positive I wasn't storing junk. I'm not worried about it, and am gonna use it in my 318.

BTW, Its standing up in the kitchen right now....

I cant wait to get moved next month and get to work on my car.

That's the spirit. Don't give it a second thought. I never would have even thought about it.

-
Back