Bent distributer shaft?

-

JR

Pissed off senior member.
Reaction score
A guy at work has a 66 dart with a slant six that was rebuilt before he got the car for his daughter. She has been driving it for about a year with no problems until the other day when it started to run rough at idle and at stoplights. Then it died in the driveway. He replaced the coil, plugs, wires, reset the points, nothing.
He pulled the plug wires one by one, nothing happened until he pulled the rear 2 wires, that killed it. Inside the cap it looks like the rotor is hitting the front 4 cylinder posts. He replaced the cap and rotor lastnight and said that it has better spark now but it is still running rough. He has a "new" remanned distributer that he is going to install today.
Any thoughts?

If the shaft was bent is should hit all the way around. I thinking maybe when the dist was rebuilt they reamed the bushings off center a bit so it hits the one side. The only way to tell for sure is try a new dist.

Chuck

Maybe its time to to put in an electronic distributor. It was one of the better upgrades I did to my 66 Valiant. I also put in an electronic voltage regulator and an modern alternator when I put in the electronic distributor. Here's a link to the Hei upgrade I did. http://duster318.freeservers.com/tech/hei.html

Some time after this was done I added headlight relays. The lights are much brighter now, and safer for night driving.
Check out Slantsix.org for more info

Maybe its time to to put in an electronic distributor. It was one of the better upgrades I did to my 66 Valiant. I also put in an electronic voltage regulator and an modern alternator when I put in the electronic distributor. Here's a link to the Hei upgrade I did. http://duster318.freeservers.com/tech/hei.html

Some time after this was done I added headlight relays. The lights are much brighter now, and safer for night driving.
Check out Slantsix.org for more info

I sugested it, hell I offered some parts for the swap but he is a stubborn old bastard and more than likely wont do it.

slant 6 distributers worn out. Nature of the beast. Just a GOOD reman'd points type will make a huge difference in performance.
I stress "good" because I have made Autozone get me another several times before I finally find one that satisfies me. I check for wear and fluxuating point gap right there at their counter.

-
Back