bent push-rods

-

joedart

Reaction score
What would cause bent push-rods on 1,7,2,and 8 cylinders on the exhaust side of a 440 and perfectly straight on all the others? 294-530 crower cam and compcams adjustable rockers with the recommended push-rods.

What would cause bent push-rods on 1,7,2,and 8 cylinders on the exhaust side of a 440 and perfectly straight on all the others? 294-530 crower cam and compcams adjustable rockers with the recommended push-rods.

I would guess that your valves on thoses cylinders had a run in with your pistons.

or at the wrong installe height on those cylinders.Did the engine sit assembled for a long time with the valve springs compressed on those cylinders?just a thought

The lifters only had 20 runs on them and about 30 road miles. The pistons and valves did not show any signs of contact.

Something hit somewhere. That's a pretty high lift cam. Did you check to make sure it has enough retainer to guide clearance? If the guide hasn't been cut down things get nasty above .500 lift. Some can go more than others too. That's why you have to make sure and check yours.

I`ve seen a nearly new set of lifters (contain a couple) that bled down in just a matter of hours and caused bent pushrods when the engine started.

So if I'm reading this correctly Joe it's your exhaust valve push rods at the very front and very back of each head. I'd check that you've got proper oiling going to the rocker arms. If they bind up you'll end up with bent push rods. Pull the rocker arm-rocker shaft assemblies off of both heads and inspect the ends of the rocker shafts for gauling. This could be caused by insufficent clearance of the comp cam rockers to shaft or insufficent oiling.

Terry

Check the installed heights on the springs. If they were supposed to cut teh seats, and missed the inner step, or perhaps didnt cut them deep enough. I agree it sounds more like a parts mismatch or head machining error. Check them all. Also, were the heads and/or block milled? If so, what type of miller (really old, or something younger than 10 years?)

-
Back