Bent Pushrods ?!?!!?

-
Ported as opposed to manifold vacuum to distributor will kill performance (It depends on what is correct for that year) also the kickdown linkage is also a throttle pressure sneder to the trans. the farther your into it, the higher the upshifts. So a disconnected KD will cause your car to shift into 3rd before you are out of the intersection, and put alot of stress on the bands as they will apply very slowly thinking your motor is just abouve idle when it coulf be 3000 RPM. Adjustable pushrods will cost more than $100 273 rockers and wont be as good. That clatter you mentioned could have been a lifter not pumping up, itll rattle like crazy until the check ball in there finally starts to work. They can hang up when some trash gets in there. I would pull the plugs and VCs once more and manually turn the crank with a wrench and just watch the valves individually cycle. Sometimes you can feel the sticky one with no compression fighting you. Your vacuum sounds good. Check your distributor advance plate. make sure its moving when you suck on the vacuum line, and snapping back. If the block or heads weer decked, your preload (.060 ideally) on the lifters may be excessive and there is no way to fix that short of shimming the rocker shafts or just going adjustable rockers, so much easier. 7 3/8 inches is the length of a hybrid stock 273 rocker/hydro cam. I cant see anywhere where a pushrod will contact the guide holes under stock conditions, although I have pulled a few pushrods that have tracks on them. Flexing for sure. There are videos of a strobe on a valvetrain where you can see such flexing, and valve floating.

Pretty much, Idle seems ok an revving it up seems okay. At idle it fluctuate between 17-18. Nothing big. Listening to the exhaust I can tell that its not quite right. Every now and then at idle it sound like it misses, anyone just looking at or not owning the car wouldnt think anything about it..

I just found the whole kick down assembly on ebay an will get it fixed up.

Taking off isnt so bad if you ease along, can still tell its stumbling.

WOT and it gets worse..

Ported as opposed to manifold vacuum

ON the original manifold as well as the used stock one i managed to find had the vacuum tree near the back by the distributor and a ported switch up from by the t-stat?

Does that sound right.. to have both?

I believe though that the 2 " ported" lines were capped...

What is the ported vacuum switch used for..

dies this help? Might be for a truck but...That ported vacuum switch may be for the distributor vacuum, when it gets hot it opens and gets vacuum to distributor, otherwise its locked out. If that is jacked, then youll never get vacuum. advance. looks like dizzy gets ported vacuum but its hard to tell on this diagram. If the spud is under the butterfly, its manifold, above, its ported..
2011-03-01_000906_79_dodge_318_emission_hose_diagram.gif

Shouldn't I be able to nip the vacuum in the bud by capping everything except brakes and leaving the advance vacuum hooked up on the carb?

Then continue troubleshooting?

Thats all it needs, may run a little poor cold but the rest of that crap is box filler. Dont plug bowl vent, just route up into air cleaner.

I hooked it to the canister like the diagram shows. It was plugged... Messing around I started pulling plug wires while at idle. One seems like it doesn't change the "tone" of the engine. Its getting spark.... Any thought?

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicegroup View Post
I hooked it to the canister like the diagram shows. It was plugged... Messing around I started pulling plug wires while at idle. One seems like it doesn't change the "tone" of the engine. Its getting spark.... Any thought?
dead s/plug

Hmm!, could be ,if it wasn't checked while checking for spark.

Ok, So I pulled that plug and the gap was closed completely on the plug.

Before everyone gets too crazy, Note there is no a single scratch on the bottom side of the plug.

Just a little black carbon..

I wiped the plug off and inspected the raw metal, No scratch but closed...

That cylinder has 135 for compression and still had 135 30 min later.

Xs2

Would that spark plug be outta the cylinder with the bent pushrod??

All the pushrods were bent. We are pretty much through all of the "what happened" and every scenario on" why" has already been posted. Without the car in front of us and the OP's ADHD diagnostics it's going to be hard to give him the answer he wants to hear.

The other cylinders checked out fine?

Too busy tending to my ADHD...

I dunno why ya gotta be an arse...

Not every one does it your way, Sorry :( and your right the car wasn't in front of you so you had no idea really. I tried to explain what happened and was just looking for some solid advice on where to start.. I didn't expect you to Mr. Goodwrench it through the computer screen.

I'm not trying to make an *** of myself either , but come on man, all i wanted was a little advice along the way....

I was just giving Inertia, who was trying to help you, as we all are, the correct information since he had been misinformed by you. You asked for advice.You should heed some it. It doesn't matter what methods you use as the checks are still going to be the same. I'm sure quite a few of us, including myself, have been in your situation. Just trying help you by process of elimination. Nope, no Mr. Goodwrench here. Have worked at a few other dealerships, but never at Chebby.

your right man... And I really do and did appreciate everyone's help... Just felt you were a little short at times... Hell all is well now ;) thanks again

-
Back