best 318 cam

-

roylirad

new to mopar land
Reaction score
i have a 68 barracuda i just bought off a old guy it was his dead sisters. now im the second owner. it was all factory 2 barrel single exahust. and im putting in edlebrock performer rpm intake and carb. tti, sway bar, PST polygraphite kit, change power to manual steering, and i put some good size tires and i was wondering wat kinda cam should i get:read2:

the best cam would be what will work optimally with what you have for 'compression/intake/exhaust/gears'
/\
so what are they?

If it's stock with 2.93 gears & 8.1 comp going through manifolds- no more than 252*-260* adv duration

engle EP-16 OR EP-18
of corse... I like the split of the EP-14 w/248*/260* ad dur, maybe that cam but with more lift, like.420/.435 on a 114cl

http://www.englecams.com/downloads/2010_engle_catalog.pdf

EB RPM too big for 318 heads.

260/260 comp, 260/260 ISKY work great in mild applications. (any ratio really, work like a stock cam, but with more power) I like the ISKY. More duration on the EX hurts lower end power, and you didn't mention a four speed or looser converter.... (But thats my op onion)

If you already have the RPM manifold, definatly use the same/same duration cam.

Dist timing curve has a lot to do with mild engine power, 12-16 idle, 36 total, by 2800 I would try.

the isky 256 works good.ive used it a few times.great low end.i just recently used the summit brand 204/214 @50 in a 318.it idles very nicely with a very slight "chop".it also has a broad powerband.

-
Back