best 360

-

bayyum

Reaction score
best cheap 360 setup for daily driving, and maybe a little stop light racing :snakeman: i really need to learn up on the best setups

What's it going in? Just put a stock one in with headers and a 4bbl. You can have plenty of fun with that. Can even stick a mild cam in it if ya want. Keep it simple.

True, just don't over cam it. You can get into the 13's without getting crazy and still retain decent MPG's. Re-equipe the car with a decent gear ratio and you'll be off.

340 cam, add headers and a decent gear set. 3.90's should do it. Even though it is a low compression engine, it'll still have enough to get the job done.
Add wide rear tires and a shift kit later on. When more time and money allow, mill heads for more compression.

I think I got something for ya. MoPar use to have a "Tip" section years back. Why they don't put it into there catologs anymore, IDK, but I have the last catolog with it in there.

I'll copy it and send it to ya.

While some of the parts used are questionable, do realize it is all there own parts and they do not have a wide verity of parts and super selection that the aftermarket has.

Today, the aftermarket has come around big time in a wide assortment of p[arts and one that can fit inbetween the MoPar parts in different areas that the MoPar parts didn't cover.

Agreed, mild cam, headers, and a 4 barrel car should do just fine for a fun driver.

I prefer a tti or dougs header because the don't hang low.

I run a performer rpm and holley 750 on my all stock 74 360. It runs nice.

okay, i figured out what its going in, i have a 77' 360 out of an RV and i want to put it in an 87 d50 i found on craigslist, what should i do to push the d50 into 13's? we have a set of 4:10's in our garage, so i have the gear ratio set up, but what else should I use? help is greatly apprectiated

Thats a small truck!

Do something really evil like transplant the motor to the bed...Like the wheel standers from the 60's.Then add some zoomies...

Seriously? Bump the compression up with a magnum heads swap. You'll make 350 ish hp no problem.And no porting.Then go victimise some s10's or ford rangers..

Small truck needs a 904 tranny.

Whats in it for an axle?

nothing like a V-8 mini truck. had a mild 302 in a 4x4 Ranger. even being a 4x4 it was light, right around 300 pounds on the scale i ran it accross. almost hate to say this but I ran it at Island Dragway against my old 340 Dart, I had bragging rights at the end of the day. Only thing I would say is take care when it comes to the cooling system, that was the down fall to my Ranger and a few sbc powered Toyotas that I knew of....you will have a blast with it.

Oh,you will need to make the truck hook. Thats the biggest issue with trucks,no traction. No weight over the rear wheels really..

Set the motor as close to the firewall as is practical. Setting the suspension up really good is something most guys ignore on thier first build,so if you do that you'll be miles ahead and need less motor.I would relocate the battery to the box.Shouldnt be too hard to fab up a locking battery box so people cant touch it.

Pitch the cast iron intake and go with an eddie rpm or the like. 360 heads with 1.88 intake valves and a nice clean bowl clean up with port match. Double roller or true roller timing chain and a tensioner. Stock water pump should be fine. Get a hi pressure oil pump.Get one of the smaller xe comp cams rather than the stock 340 cam if you want a little more power.

A mild 360 will put it in the 13's and still be driveable.

Radiator may be tricky to fit,but Id go look in the wreckers for a small truck rad and fan combo.

Are you in any autoshop or metalwork classes? Now would be the time to get involved in that.

-
Back