Best 5.7 to Dart

-

GTMaracucho

Reaction score
Hi Friend, I'm planing swap to 5.7 Hemi, my question is what is the best engine and year, Ram/Dakota or Charger/300C. I saw that the Ram/Dakota have the water oulet to the driver side and the Charger/300C to de other side.

Thanks.....Jose

Hi Friend, I'm planing swap to 5.7 Hemi, my question is what is the best engine and year, Ram/Dakota or Charger/300C. I saw that the Ram/Dakota have the water oulet to the driver side and the Charger/300C to de other side.

Thanks.....Jose

Doesn't really matter, just go from an 04 to 08.

I think you hit on the main question there, car vs. truck engine. You can swap covers between the two, so really it's not too big a deal. Really whatever you can get for the right price will probably be your best bet. Along with the water pipe differences the accessories mount in different locations as well and are not swappable between the two, so that's something you may want to consider. If you swap the cover all the accessories will have to go with it. I think the truck engine is generally considered more of a drop in than the car because of clearances issues with some of the accessories, but the car engine is generally preferred for looks because it tucks things away nicer.

What Tincup and Map63Vette said.

The car engine is mounts the accessories down low and presents a cleaner installation.

However there are more difficulties in using a car motor.

The alternator mounts low and may necessitate some trimming to frame pinch weld. It isn't very difficult, but after trimming it does require some welding. Attached you'll find some pics.

If running A/C the low mount compressor will interfere with the spool type mounts and may interfere with the biscuit type mounts as well. If you wish to retain the lower A/C you'll probably have to fabricate your own driver's side engine mount.

If you don't want to fabricate your own mount you can use RMS's Alter-k-tion. The Alter-k-tion is probably the best way to install a 5.7 Hemi into an A-Body, the only downside is its price. When you consider the price of a total front end rebuild with new springs and quality components the RMS kit is about double.

So for simplicity sake the 04-08 Truck engine is the simplest to install and keep all the accessories.

Finally keep in mind that no matter which engine you use factory power steering is NOT an option. The only way to get power steering is to go with a power rack setup from either RMS or Magnum Force.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Attachments

• 100_1779.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 846
  • img0006wu.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 812
In a '69 Dart with AlterKtion front end, I just had a little frame to remove on the 6.1 Hemi, 1/2" for the Alternator and 1" x 3" slice out of the frame for the TTI headers on passenger side.

-
Back