Best ABODY header?

-
Both Dougs and tti will work with power steering.

I found a place that you can get painted dougs for about $370 and coated right at $500 delivered in the US.

Please tell where i could get them for this price, as I am in the market for coated dougs headers...

The thread is called "Best ABODY header?" IMHO the BEST header you can get is one that is custom made to your vehicle and your configuration.....this ensures that you can change your oil filter EASILY, change your STOCK starter motor easily and does not require crossmember mods of anykind.... they aint cheap but I can take em out and put em in NO DENTS inside of 30 mins no engine lift , no frame mods, no oil change hassle, Stock shorty starter do not hang low do not hang below K cannot be seen "under the car" from the side or front appropriate flow and pressure....

I can't speak for the Doug's headers, but I have TTI and they did not require any dents. They fit just fine. 340 with RPM heads, Milodon oil pan, '72 car with '73 k-member, manual steering, four speed, MP starter.

The thread is called "Best ABODY header?" IMHO the BEST header you can get is one that is custom made to your vehicle and your configuration.....this ensures that you can change your oil filter EASILY, change your STOCK starter motor easily and does not require crossmember mods of anykind.... they aint cheap but I can take em out and put em in NO DENTS inside of 30 mins no engine lift , no frame mods, no oil change hassle, Stock shorty starter do not hang low do not hang below K cannot be seen "under the car" from the side or front appropriate flow and pressure....

At what cost? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Last set of custom headers I inquired about where in excess of $1400

I really don't consider Dougs or tti low priced, but, they are the best alternative short of the custom route. Painted Dougs for 380 or coated for 510ish is a pretty good deal.

At what cost? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Last set of custom headers I inquired about where in excess of $1400

I really don't consider Dougs or tti low priced, but, they are the best alternative short of the custom route. Painted Dougs for 380 or coated for 510ish is a pretty good deal.

Just making the point of READING the initial posted question.... NO ONE ASKED which headers were the cheapest or the best buy....they asked for the BEST and apparently cost was not an issue

"sick of cheap **** headers, by the time i get them in they are mangled, dented, and still dont fit on the driver side

so, what are you guys using
, cost isnt a problem...i just want an easy to install header that i dont have to add "performance dents" to make them fit

pics, and part numbers would be great
."

what I have noticed in everyone that showed pictures of their setup is that they are running with a manual steering gear box.... I'm assuming the TTI/Doug headers won't work to great with a power steering box ?

Wrong...:wack::-D

pics, and part numbers would be great."

Good luck with that on a custom set...

That quoted statement from the OP speaks to a shelf header so maybe reading comprehension isn't your strong suit either.

In that area dougs and tti are the only ones that work well. Yes, they have some warts with 4 speeds. At least you shouldn't have to beat the crap out of them to fit.

Have fun with it.

Good luck with that on a custom set...

That quoted statement from the OP speaks to a shelf header so maybe reading comprehension isn't your strong suit either.

In that area dougs and tti are the only ones that work well. Yes, they have some warts with 4 speeds. At least you shouldn't have to beat the crap out of them to fit.

Have fun with it.

LOL hate to be a pest Cracked....but again I beg to differ as to what this thread "speaks to"...lets recap shall we

1.sick of cheap **** headers, obviously referencing a "shelf header" and that the OP is sick of them

2. by the time i get them in in they are mangled, dented, and still dont fit on the driver side..(again an obvious reference to a "SHELF HEADER" and what he is NOT seeking)

3. so, what are you guys using, Golly...no mention of a "shelf" ANYTHING...simply a request to discover what everyone is using or has

4. cost isnt a problem... Indicating pretty strongly that he is interested in solving his problem and that cost is not an issue ( as you seem to think)

5. i just want an easy to install header ( Obviously NOT a reference to a "shelf header" since most of them are a flaming pain in the *** to install)

6. that i dont have to add "performance dents" to make them fit Again an OBVIOUS reference that he is seeking headers that do not require BFH mods to get them in...quite rare in the "shelf variety header" where most of them LIST BFH as a required tool in the installation instructions (LOL)

7. pics, NOt completely certain but I am pretty sure you CAN take pics of custom headers without much "LUCK" necessary to accomplish

8. and part numbers would be great. WELL part numbers...hmmm.....you kinda have me there...so I called the guy that MADE mine and WHOOP he gave me a part number...since they are CUSTOM, it only applies to MY headers...but the OP didnt ASK for a part number that WOULD FIT HIS CAR.... he asked for the part number of the headers WE are using...Hence EM66340B001 is the part number of my custom headers directly from the builder

SO I am kinda thinkin that maybe the term "best headers" could apply to both Custom and "shelf headers" depending on whats best for you/him. BUT I do recall stating that the use of custom headers was IMHO, not speaking for you, simply expressing MY opinion as to what might be the best. it never ceases to amaze me that even when prefaced with IMHO, someone finds irreparable fault with whatever is being said.

The guy pretty plainly said that cost was not an issue so why the attack on the idea that custom headers are costly? he obviously does not care, why should YOU? They are costly....very costly but they did not require a single MOD OR a BFH nor are they dimpled anywhere to install them, Depending on the application/ vehicle ( mine is a 66 cuda) there is not one single "shelf header" for my car that does not require mods, more specifically extensive mods...TTI's for the 66 cuda instructions are three full pages with graphics and detailed instructions along with the availability of a modified trans cross member at a couple of hundred and the requirement of a good mini starter another couple o hundred.
My customs do not require ANY of that crap, stock starter, stock oil filter config, easy access to both and removable/reinstall-able inside of 30 mins, IMHO those attributes make CUSTOM headers head & shoulders above any commercial brand and the cost difference( after mod inclusion) was about $200 to the positive not including the extra hassle. Not a real savings when you consider all the crap MODS you have to make that don't really have hard costs but "soft costs." The time and hassle cost of moving the brake dist valve & lines, moving the starter wires moving the fuel supply line, R&R ing the cross memeber, and the recursive hassle of oil changes and starter replacements...$200 seems like its well worth the added expense to go custom all things considered and included.

I never insulted your comprehension...I simply suggested that you may not have READ the initial post based on your comment of
"at what cost? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$"
when the OP clearly said "cost isn't a problem"

If I go about the task of insulting you...make no mistake you will know it
but no insult intended....this time LOL
this was fun....thanks

OP sorry for the mini "jack"

Don't mind spending some cash might want to contact http://www.perfweldheaders.com/index.html
Mark is a member here, a while back he made mention of a pair of shorty headers he was working on, I wonder what ever happened with them???

I've contacted in the past and seems he hasn't had any time to do any more development work on them. The header business must be booming.

I've contacted in the past and seems he hasn't had any time to do any more development work on them. The header business must be booming.
From what I remember Mark telling me summer is his slow time. I spoke with him a few months ago and he was driving accross the country and was going to be out of his shop for a few weeks. In the few conversations I have had with him he sounds like he is more or less booked solid on a regular basis....

Just making the point of READING the initial posted question.... NO ONE ASKED which headers were the cheapest or the best buy....they asked for the BEST and apparently cost was not an issue

"sick of cheap **** headers, by the time i get them in they are mangled, dented, and still dont fit on the driver side

so, what are you guys using, cost isnt a problem...i just want an easy to install header that i dont have to add "performance dents" to make them fit

pics, and part numbers would be great."

"best abody header"....meaning abody spacific...not "build your own" if i wanted to build a set, i would, but id like to save some moeny and find the best "out of the box fitment"....

"best abody header"....meaning abody spacific...not "build your own" if i wanted to build a set, i would, but id like to save some moeny and find the best "out of the box fitment"....

That's what I figured with the part numbers. A shelf item. Thanks for clarifying.

Dougs and tti are the only two that fit well, no low hanging tubes.

Dougs D453
Headers004.jpg

Headers003.jpg

Headers002.jpg

tti
ttiheaders003.jpg

ttiheaders001.jpg

Like I mentioned if you have a 4 speed you'll be "adjusting" the z bar...

I like dougs better than tti. The coating is better imo and they are anywhere from 150-220 less money.

I am CURIOUS.....how do you get more SPECIFIC than a custom fit to your A body configuration? and another curiosity....how do the words "cost isn't a problem" indicate the idea that you are looking to save money?

In order to find the best "out of the box fitment" for your specific vehicle with your specific configuration of engine, trans, motor mounts, trans mounts, steering set up, power or non power, starter type ( mini or stock) and what your height requirements are, narrow A or later wide A, wouldn't that info be needed to be included in your request in order to be "specific?"

Otherwise are't you asking for the best "generic A body fitment" one that will span several years and frame widths and power non power steering, stock starters, oil filter configs, ease of installation etc etc etc.... example: so when someone says "use Dougs" and they had no problem...wouldn't it be nice to know they removed their fenderwells and don't really have space issues or that their car is used for the strip ONLY and headers that hang to the ground are no big deal for them?

trying to help....Without all that "specific info" about your car....how can you make an educated decision as to which brand to select??....there are only like three maybe four "shelf brands" brands out there for A bodies....if you feel that confident that ANY of them will work with your application simply because it's an A body, and they are made for an A body just pick one! The point I am getting at is...just because they make them for an A body does not mean they will easily fit what you have in your specific A body.....get me?

FABO is filled with horror stories about all the "shelf brands" and the MANY MANY configs people have tried to use them on.....then in the next sentence someone says "I had no problem with mine" could be an apples & grapefruits comparison..... regarding headers and A bodies the "devil is IN the details" and pretty much EACH detail makes a difference in how the fit and how easy they are to get in....

GOOD FAST or cheap pick 2 and live with it

Good & Fast = very costly and fast to install
Good & Cheap = NOT FAST (or easy in this case) ( major mods)
Fast & Cheap = POS

the choice is yours
Have a great Day!!

I agree with 66cuda, if cost is no object then custom is where it is at. If you mean $500-$700 as "cost no object" then Dougs or TTis but they don't always just drop right in either.
I too would like to hear the location of the secret Doug's deal starting to think that's not real.

I am CURIOUS.....how do you get more SPECIFIC than a custom fit to your A body configuration? and another curiosity....how do the words "cost isn't a problem" indicate the idea that you are looking to save money?

In order to find the best "out of the box fitment" for your specific vehicle with your specific configuration of engine, trans, motor mounts, trans mounts, steering set up, power or non power, starter type ( mini or stock) and what your height requirements are, narrow A or later wide A, wouldn't that info be needed to be included in your request in order to be "specific?"

Otherwise are't you asking for the best "generic A body fitment" one that will span several years and frame widths and power non power steering, stock starters, oil filter configs, ease of installation etc etc etc.... example: so when someone says "use Dougs" and they had no problem...wouldn't it be nice to know they removed their fenderwells and don't really have space issues or that their car is used for the strip ONLY and headers that hang to the ground are no big deal for them?

trying to help....Without all that "specific info" about your car....how can you make an educated decision as to which brand to select??....there are only like three maybe four "shelf brands" brands out there for A bodies....if you feel that confident that ANY of them will work with your application simply because it's an A body, and they are made for an A body just pick one! The point I am getting at is...just because they make them for an A body does not mean they will easily fit what you have in your specific A body.....get me?

FABO is filled with horror stories about all the "shelf brands" and the MANY MANY configs people have tried to use them on.....then in the next sentence someone says "I had no problem with mine" could be an apples & grapefruits comparison..... regarding headers and A bodies the "devil is IN the details" and pretty much EACH detail makes a difference in how the fit and how easy they are to get in....

GOOD FAST or cheap pick 2 and live with it

Good & Fast = very costly and fast to install
Good & Cheap = NOT FAST (or easy in this case) ( major mods)
Fast & Cheap = POS

the choice is yours
Have a great Day!!

wow, wont give it up will you?

let me explain.

BEST ABODY HEADER....meens abody spacific, not a build it yourself and make it fit an abody

PART NUMBER....self exp.

COST ISNT AN ISSUE....meeing ive bought cheap $150 headers and i dont mind spendin $400-$700 on a really nice set, not $1500 to have someone make a set, then wine how people spend $2500 on a million dollar car to get some made

so...this thread was ME ASKING QUESTIONS. not you, and as for your input, i already stated you have the wrong idea...so now please, get it through your head that i dont want hand built headers....you have the IQ of a cordoba bumper.

That's what I figured with the part numbers. A shelf item. Thanks for clarifying.

Dougs and tti are the only two that fit well, no low hanging tubes.

Dougs D453
Headers004.jpg

Headers003.jpg

Headers002.jpg

tti
ttiheaders003.jpg

ttiheaders001.jpg

Like I mentioned if you have a 4 speed you'll be "adjusting" the z bar...

I like dougs better than tti. The coating is better imo and they are anywhere from 150-220 less money.

thanks for the response and pictures

wow, wont give it up will you?

let me explain.

BEST ABODY HEADER....meens abody spacific, not a build it yourself and make it fit an abody

PART NUMBER....self exp.

COST ISNT AN ISSUE....meeing ive bought cheap $150 headers and i dont mind spendin $400-$700 on a really nice set, not $1500 to have someone make a set, then wine how people spend $2500 on a million dollar car to get some made

so...this thread was ME ASKING QUESTIONS. not you, and as for your input, i already stated you have the wrong idea...so now please, get it through your head that i dont want hand built headers....you have the IQ of a cordoba bumper.

LET ME EXPLAIN:

"best A body header" ASKS for the BEST a body header....period...it does not delineate ANY of the specifics you are including NOW....if you wanted specifics you might have asked for them! Like I pointed out earlier the "devil is in the details" BEST means best...it does not include ANY details that were rolling around in your head....none of us are mind readers, YOU need to be a lil more specific, you got answers to what YOU asked for. most folks go for the boxed headers BUT THEY ARE NOT THE ONLY OPTION and far from being the BEST! Additionally you made NO initial statement regarding buy vs build so please don't try to say that " best a body header" points at BUY by default because it does not...it points at BEST, like it says...remember we don't KNOW what you were thinking when you wrote that, apparently neither did you until someone called you on it.

"cost isn't a problem" DOES NOT say between $400 & $700, you added that "specific" in subsequent posts. "Cost isn't a problem" essentially says you have an open checkbook and are not concerned with cost....kinda like a "Money is no object" statement. so please dont try to say that cost isnt a problem on its own with zero qualifying MEANS between 400 & 7000 because it does not. it means what it says until you ADD the parameters!

RIGHT YOU WERE ASKING QUESTIONS...vague unspecific open ended questions that will likely not bring you information you are really looking for. Asking those kinds of questions and receiving one word answers like TTI or DOUGS tells You ZIP about their config and how that may apply to what you are doing and how they will fit or the ease of installation with your config! You can get answers to those vague questions by lookin in a summit or jegs catalog!

The idea and response I expressed was aimed at your initial post and it is accurate. Trouble is your post was not specific, you were thinking one thing and typing another...you got the answer you got based on WHAT YOU TYPED not based on the qualifying details you added later

The idea here is to help people.... and obviously you really do not want any qualified help because you are convinced.
as far as the slamming aimed at my opinion and responses I can determine the following....

1. you likely failed remedial English class more then once
2. IF you really wanted help and were aware of what that meant you would have taken more time to explain your specific REQUIREMENTS at the onset.
3. WHAT you type and what you really mean are two vastly different things and it takes 10-15 posts to milk the REAL details of your requirements from you.
4. You have no idea what my IQ is and based on your responses here it likely would not mean anything to you even if you did.

You don't want to build a set...thats easy enough to understand NOW that you have made it CLEAR what your requirements are...15 posts later

At this point I urge you to go buy a set of boxed headers any set between 400 & 700 will do....then you can add to the thousand or so threads on FABO about how well it went for you

Best of luck to you

COMMENTARY: it never ceases to amaze me how people can spend multiple tens of thousands building a car and painting it, multiple thousands on the drive train, wheels & tires all without a peep....but when it comes to exhaust, A primary breathing component of any internal combustion engine....well HERE is where they suddenly become cost conscious and bolt on something generic for under a thousand, often under $400 that requires dents & mods and hours of installation ......SMART ...VERY SMART!!

COMMENTARY: it never ceases to amaze me how people can spend multiple tens of thousands building a car and painting it, multiple thousands on the drive train, wheels & tires all without a peep....but when it comes to exhaust, A primary breathing component of any internal combustion engine....well HERE is where they suddenly become cost conscious and bolt on something generic for under a thousand, often under $400 that requires dents & mods and hours of installation ......SMART ...VERY SMART!!
And this is the truth. People will spend 20k on a Hemi and then go out and buy a set of Hookers or Hedmans and then spend 2 weeks hammering/cutting re-welding tubes. I quess maybe it is hard to brag about headers....:dontknow:

604, you are very welcome.

I learned over 30 years ago when people mention "cost isn't an issue", it's usually and almost always, a frustration statement. Especially after reading the original post in it's entirety. Since you clarified your desire for a shelf header, justifying custom made is a moot point.

Sounds like some people haven't used Dougs or tti on a 67-76 A body SB car before to me. I've had about 15 sets of these headers combined and never had to ding/smash/mod a tube to get them to fit. Go figure. The one ***** I do have about each brand is you need to modify the z bar on 4 gear cars to get it to fit, takes about 1 hour if you know that going in. I figure my time is worth $800+/hr. Auto cars are pretty easy.

The low dollar place is posted in the exhaust forums and really easy to find.

I use the ignore feature here with great success. Really makes things better.

-
Back