Best aftermarket intakes for an early 273?

-

Coryduran

Reaction score
I've been told before that a D4B is basically the best intake for an early 273, so I'm just wondering what everyone's opinions are?

Best intake manifold for performance? Economy? Both?

BTW stats for my engine it's a 1965 273 in my dart gt.

the holly street master 318 will not bolt up to a 1965 273 motor,,

the 1964 and 65 273 has a different intake bolt pattern ,,the later intakes can be modified to work,,,but why bother offenahuser still has 5 different intake to choose from for the early 1964/65 273 motors,,,summit use to have all 5 listed and probably still do,,,

the 1966 and up 273 use the same intake bolt pattern as alll the 1967 and up 318 340 360 not including the magnum motors

offenhauser is stil old school,,, no e mail,,,no fax,,still made in america,,,just call them they can help you out,,,they will make any thing they still have molds for,,,

So any opinions on what is the best intake to go with that's just an easy bolt on for a 65 273?

mostly stock 273 ??? single or dual exhaust,. small exhaust pipe, offy dual plane intake and nothing bigger then a 500 cfm edelbrock carb

Yeah it's a stock 273, right now single exhaust and whatever size the stock exhausts were, but I did plan on upgrading the exhaust system in the future.

for what u have the only way to go is a dual plane,,,,offenhauser is the only ones still making an intake for the early 273,,single or dual 4 barrell,,, for a street driver stock or mild a single 4 barrell dual plane,,,intake you do not want a single plane on that small motor for the street,, 500 cfm carb

How could I go about getting offenhauser's number to give them a call? I mean having a dual plane new intake would be awesome, but it's twice as expensive as a used d4b, and I'm a college student lol.

did u check summit for a price?? is that used intake for the early 273 ? and is it a dual plane??? if so grab it,,,,check summit,,if no luck i have a guys e mail that is a dealer fro offenhauser,thats how i got the valve covers made thru him,,, but try to google offenhauser see if a phone number comes up,,,,

Summit showed three different intakes, none cheaper than $400. The D4B I was offered bolts straight onto a 273 without any modification needed, it costs $165 after shipping. I don't believe it's a dual plane though but I really am not sure, I can't tell 100% just by looking.

i dont know what the intke ur speaking of is,,,ask the seller,,,if its a dual plane,,and make sure its for the 1964 65 273,,some guys like to tell you to modify the bolt holes,,to make the later intake fit,,,i my self would just get the real deal,,,,400 huh may they have gone up,,,

do a google search for offenhauser see if u can find a phone number i believe they are in calif,,,

ok look real good at it,, you will see the bolt holes are E-LONGATED,, im not sure if that modifacation is all thats neeeded to make it fit the early 273, if you want to chance it,,it is a dual plane intake,,,just hope you get it sealed up good,,,

heres another way you can do this on the cheaper,,,not many guys have ever seen,,,but its an old school way,,,some old school hot rodders still use this method, because some old motors are near impossible to find a 4 barrel intake for,,,

they use a adapter plate,,,it bolts to your 2 barrell intake and accepts a 4 bbl carb,,,not the best performance, but will work,,, a company called trans-dapt makes them,,, and summit may still carry them,,if not www.speedwaymotors.com will have them,,,

next thing you are going to have to deal with going from a 2 barrell to a 4 barrell,,,, 1964 65 66 A bodIES USE a hard linkage for the transmission kick down,,the orignal linkage for a 4 barrell is going to be near impossible to find,, if your handy,,,you may be able to modify it your self,,if not there are 2 companies that make a kit to do this with a cable,,,one co is called LOKAR,, they make stuff for the street rod and hot rod world,,and is availavle at summit,,, the other company advertises in the back of most mopar magazines,,im not sure on the spelling of there name but its some thing like bouchlion,,, or you can get this same cable off of a junk yard dakota,durango, or ram truck,, with a 3.9 5.2 5.9 magnum motor,,,get all the brackets too,,,

DO NOT RUN YOUR TRANS WITH OUT THE KICK DOWN HOOKED UP AND ADJUSTED PROPERLY,, YOU WILL BURN THE TRANS UP IN 5 MILES OR LESS

fstfish...that intake IS the early one, but looks to have been modified to fit the later ('66-up) heads. A little glass-bead work and that intake would look, and perform, great! Like what has been said, largest carb to be a 600cfm, Carter.Edel or Holley (pref. a 450/500cfm unit).

Good luck.....

You can mod the Holley to fit the straight down pattern.....
Offenhauser MADE a dual port that fit the old style, not sure if they still do.

Small engine, small port, mild form, there is a reason the stock manifolds were single plane. Dual port is a second option, small port heads like small single planes.

Grab the D4B. It's the manifold all the old Direct Connection books recommended for the 273. It's what I'd get, no question. I've got an Offy single plane I'd sell you but you really need a dual plane & I've never been a fan of the Offy dual port.

Yeah I was already pretty sure I was gonna get it. Now I need a carb and a guide on going from 2 bbl to 4 lol.

I've got an Offy single plane I'd sell you but you really need a dual plane & I've never been a fan of the Offy dual port.

Why?

Small port head small inch engines don't "need" a dual plane, IF, you have it in your head a dual plane will perform better, fine, go ahead, but direct connection or not, the single plane will perform better bottom to top than any dual plane made yet.

People aren't fond of the dual port because there is a belief that the split port hurts flow....... But, if you look at it, and know where and how the air flows through the port, it will make sense why they work so well.

Wish I had a dyno, s swap and a carb tune on any small port engine, 273 or 318, would prove more power from bottom to top. really the only engines they don't work well on are oval intake ports.

I am always one for using what you can find easy though, by all means, get the dual plane, but don't think it will "perform better" than the single plane.

Best setup on my 273 for NA was 302 heads, holley 390 and a weiand stealth. The 65 heads use a smaller diameter bolt that likes to shear the head off and hit the hood like a bullet after torquing it to spec. BAnG! Scared the crap out of me

I've never seen or heard of a D4B.
Is it maybe a version of the LD4B to fit the early 273 manifold angle?
If so,I'd grab it.
Old LD4Bs in good order are sought after and pull a preetty good price in Australia because they work well and are a good looking thing.Well,a lot better looking than a Performer.
I've got a Performer for my 318 but would have preferred an LD4B if I could find one.

Why?

Small port head small inch engines don't "need" a dual plane, IF, you have it in your head a dual plane will perform better, fine, go ahead, but direct connection or not, the single plane will perform better bottom to top than any dual plane made yet.

People aren't fond of the dual port because there is a belief that the split port hurts flow....... But, if you look at it, and know where and how the air flows through the port, it will make sense why they work so well.

Wish I had a dyno, s swap and a carb tune on any small port engine, 273 or 318, would prove more power from bottom to top. really the only engines they don't work well on are oval intake ports.

I am always one for using what you can find easy though, by all means, get the dual plane, but don't think it will "perform better" than the single plane.

I ran the single plane Offy on my car back in the day & if he wants to run gears/cam/compression & wind his motor to 7 grand it's great but the thing didn't have any bottom end & I think that's what he wants/needs for a street build. Chances are he'll get more of that with a dual plane manifold.

As far as the Offy Dual Port goes it was "big news" in the mid 1970's & I knew some guys who ran them & I was never very impressed with them. The concept was great, just personally was never impressed with the results.

What Offey did you run?

I ran an Offenhauser 360 Equa-Flow (part #5699) on my early 273 with 10.5 to 1 pistons, .030 milled heads, 4 speed, dual point, street hemi profile cam, 3.91 gears, headers, & various carbs. I used a stock Carter 4 bbl, a Carter from a 383, an 1850 600 cfm Holley & the absolute best performance was from a Holley 3310. The engine was a screamer with each combo but putting the 3310 on it was like adding a steeper set of gears. It was never much for bottom end torque though, no matter what the combo was. But I had a lot of fun with it. :snakeman:

Grab the D4B. It's the manifold all the old Direct Connection books recommended for the 273. It's what I'd get, no question. I've got an Offy single plane I'd sell you but you really need a dual plane & I've never been a fan of the Offy dual port.

I've run both as well as the factory intake manifold on 273's the D4B is by far the best for a hot, 10.5 compression, 268-284 intake duration cammed, 273. It will also work fine with stock 65 273 and a 4 barrel carb. The D4B is a dual plane Intake. The only problem is that you cannot use the factory choke. All the 4 barrel intakes will make you smile compared to a 2 barrel carb and manifold.

-
Back