Best alternator amp for my setup,And one wire or not?

-

1969ProDart

Reaction score
Ok what I need to know is whats a decent amped alt I should run for my setup. And should I do one wire or not.
My current electrical setup..
Aftermarket universal 24 circuit harness
Electric water pump
Electric fuel pump
16" push fan
2 smaller pull fans
6 autometer gauges
MAYBE a radio if I could keep it hidden
Regular electrical such as headlights, tail lights, brake lights..

Also what's better one wire or not, what's easier..
Thanks.

do a denso swap, bolt on and electronic voltage regulator for dual field will control it they usually run around 70-90 amp output, some as high as 120, make sure you have a really good wire coming from the alternator to battery, 6 gauge should do it rated at 75 amps, 2 gauge is rated at 95 amps

Don't run high-amp alternators unless you have done the ammeter bypass.

If you insist on running a "one wire" setup, run a VERY large charge wire, no6 minimum. This is because any voltage drop on the charge wire changes the charge voltage.

In my opinion, a "one wire" has no real advantage.

Ok so that X's out the one wire. So what amp should i run for a three wire and is there any diagrams for a three wire setup. Thanks

Read the article good to know stuff there. But still need to know what alternator I need to run my setup without struggle.

You need to calculate the potential load of those devices at idle/low RPM and make sure you alternator will meet/exceed that at idle. A 70 amp alternator might not be enough.

70 amp works good for me. I'm running the same electrical components (NO STEREO) with no charging issues Yet. If you plan on running a big stereo system then you might want at least a 100 amp.

Not much of a stereo buff. If I did it would be minimal. Head unit and two speakers at most.

I don't think that you can have too much ampacity. You can spend more than you needed to. And you can seemingly get a lot for not much. Can have: Quality <> Price <> Amps; Pick any two.

Alts are output rated at their best RPM, which you won't always be running at. Was it me I'd look at how much current can everything in the car draw total when all turned on at once, add some margin (20%-30% at least) for safety and so that even with everything turned on that there is enough left over to slowly charge the battery, and buy that.

Which one to buy really depends on your abilities. If you can create brackets from scratch, then buy what ever you want. If you're needing to use a pre-made set of brackets then you're limited to what those are designed to work with.

I don't think that you can have too much ampacity.

Not as long as the wiring can handle it, but the factory wiring "can't."

But there IS a limit on "what is needed", too.

Couldn't agree more.
I read "Aftermarket universal 24 circuit harness" to mean no OE wiring, at least not the OE bulkhead on the firewall. If that it wrong, then take heed of the warnings about passing too much current thru that bulkhead.

No, I don't have factory harness anymore. Bought a Brand New aftermarket harness. I read about that bulkhead passthrough. Scary..

Lots of guys seem to like those. If I had the bux I probably would

-
Back