Best Automatic OD trans swap for A body car

-
No thanks, a former co-worker swore up and down about how great they were. He bought one of there 700's for his 57 Chevy Truck he was building. Had a blueprinted 427 in it. Did not last long. I have been using my buddy for 12 years or so now. He has built the trans in every vehicle I have owned since I met him. Sad thing is he is 1400 miles or so from Spokane.

As far as an over-the-phone explaination and their reasonable pricing the guy was good to talk to.

Sorry If I came off a bit strong, but I interpreted your previous post as kind of a bash on me and my trans buddy........

I didn't mean to bash anybody at all. Hell, if I had a transmission builder buddy I would be stoked as hell and wouldn't be calling places with stupid names trying to piece this puzzle together.

On a side-note, I've had some fun in Spokane and met one of my ex's there. The little 1/2 mile asphalt track where the sprints run every wednesday is the best $15 you'll ever spend (and the $4 fosters keg cans). I know the track isn't a big deal to locals but we western wa folks don't have that. My Uncle & cousins live in CDA and I always hit that scary-ghetto JACK IN THE BOX in the city right off I-90 at midnight every time I pass through.

1/2 mile asphalt?? do you know where it is? Never heard of it. Want to go to a scary ghetto dive, go to Dicks. It is right off of Division. Lot of homeless people in the area. Only time we ate there we gave the food away, talk about gut bombs!!!

:banghead:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
HELP
Me have 75 valiant factory 318
Me want automatic overdrive
Me not making big horse power
Me no want electronics
Me good with tools
What tranny me need
help meeeeeeeeee

I only want stuff that was originally available from dealer

things have not changed, see old posts, lol

THe aftermarket needs a universal auto trans, problem is too many owners get hung up on what name is on the trans. If its based on a GM trans some of the Ford and Mopar fans would freak out.

Go look at the GM 200R4 (Final drive is .64). It is smaller then the 727 and 904 so it doesn't require you to mod the tranny tunnel, but like the 904 takes very little HP to power it and needs to be internally built. You'll need the adaptor from www.wilcap.com and I think the starter ring needs to be on the Flexplate. If you go pull the tranny from a mid-80's GM G-Body (monte carlo, grand prix, regal, cutlass) take the TV cable and mounting bracket (the one bolted to the intake manifold) with you, and the cable should be more then long enough to operate the kickdown. You'll also need a 12volt source from your car and thats it.

I know the GM tranny you are talking about but did Chryco not make anything comparable?

nope--but doesn't really matter, its not like some Jap trans from overseas.

today the big 3 are sharing more parts-- the auto 6 speed transmissions are the same now expect for minor changes...they seen the light that it shouldn't matter

I wounder how those trans are---expect who wants 2 OD gears, not me

Heck a 2 speed powerguild with OD added on would had been great--all really needed using a high stall converter--and make the converter lock up in OD

:happy3: Wow A glyde with an OD in a Mopar. The hair on my neck is standing up. Where can I find an OD unit and an adapter? :burnout:

I'm dropping a 518 off at a guy tomorrow for rebuild. Heard some people say there are probles with them, anyone know what?
I'll tell this guy to fix the problems. Otherwise, it's going to be a stock rebuild with a bolt-in sprag and a TransGo reprogram kit. Going in my Dart, less than 600 miles a year and I don't race it at all. Around town and Highway.

why even bother with OD if you drive less then 600 miles a year? hell you hardly even drive that baby...

-
Back