best carb for a stock 318

-

scarlit

Reaction score
hello having trouble with a edelbrock carb #1806-1123 bogs ,powerless ,gutlees tried everything with this carb ...sucks ...what is the best setup for a stock 318 with just headers ....thanks

I run a Edelbrock 1406 which is a 600 cfm on a stock 318 and it runs just fine.
The 650 should also.
Have you chaneged the metering rod springs?
What timing are you running?
Can you tell if it's a rich bog, or lean?

yea it,s got a rich bog ...the car was sitting for a couple of years ...even when I got it from California...it sucked....we did everything you can think of thanks for your help

The BEST carb for a stock 318 is the stock 2 barrel.

Edelbrock 1406 (600cfm) on my pops 72 318 with a .420/.444 cam runs just fine

Are you running a fuel pressure regulator? Have you set/checked the floats? Is the electric choke hooked up? Honestly, its too much carb if your 318 is all stock.

My 1972 318 Dart ran best with a Carter 850 thermoquad , all it had was holley street performer , headers and heads shaved to up compression . The carb came off a friends 1974 Roadrunner , put in smaller primary jets and it really ran great , better than the Holey 650 it replaced . The sound when wide open was great . Of course this was 30 years ago , carb technology has changed and it might not be the best choice today .

if its all stock, exh, intake etc, stock 2 barrel is really good.
But if you have some mods like headers, 2 pipe exhausth summit carb is really good, least i like it
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-m08600vs

i have been driving it about 2500miles now, between -10 to 30 celcius
no bogging, really good throttle response, little bit more power and electric choke is nice starts good everytime.

mine combo is 318 edel perf int, hooker headers, 2 1/2 twin exhusth HEI ing otherwise stock engine
With 904 trans and 3.2 rear mpg is about 18

A rich bog? As when yo step on the gas? Move the pump shot arm back a notch. If it runs rich, gets tuning kit. It doesn't need a rebuild? The kits are cheap and the carb is easy to do.

You can download the Eddy manual online for that.
The 1806 should work well (better than a 1406, which work well on 318s).
You sure you don't have a lean bog from the air door opening too fast?
I'd work on dialing that thing in.
That carb should work fine on a 318, once the air door and jetting/rods/springs are in the ballpark.

-
Back