BEST CARBURETOR FOR STREET OR TRACK?

-
A properly setup Holley 3310, if a 3310 is setup correctly there will be virtually no difference in ET/MPH vs 750DP

Anytime I had a 750DP on something and removed it and put an 850DP on it I went quicker. And that was even back in the 70’s on my 11 second street car.

Anytime I had a 750DP on something and removed it and put an 850DP on it I went quicker. And that was even back in the 70’s on my 11 second street car.
A Holley 750 DP will flow enough air to support 700Hp when set up correctly.

You did say street & track.....
When Pontiac developed the 455 SD engine for a 1973 release date, the block was extensively re-engineered, with provision for dry sump oiling [ among other mods ].
With a tight LSA version of the RA4 cam [ 105 v 113.5 ], production QJ carb, 8.4:1 CR, headers. it made 451 hp. When the carb was swapped for a Holley, it made 463 hp....but lost 13 ft.lbs of tq. When CR was increased to 11.9:1, it made 530 hp.

8.4:1 CR, headers. it made 451 hp. When the carb was swapped for a Holley, it made 463 hp....but lost 13 ft.lbs of tq. When CR was increased to 11.9:1, it made 530 hp.
question: were any other parameters changed or only the compression ratio?

eta: nm. i did the math. sounds about right.

Interesting how he says the mystified fuel of the annular carb follows the are column better and distributes better. Also says the annular carbs tend to flows 60-65 cfm less but the power is better because of the mystified fuel that's that's easily combustible especially the low to mid range even the top end when the fuel is mystified better. Interesting stuff indeed.

A Holley 750 DP will flow enough air to support 700Hp when set up correctly.
Air is compressible basically any carb can flow 700hp of air, questions how much hp will it lose to pumping loss.

His conclusion from his water bottle test seemed wrong, to me gravity was at work not air pushing the water down. Obviously as water leaves the bottle the space has to be occupied by something.

You did say street & track.....
When Pontiac developed the 455 SD engine for a 1973 release date, the block was extensively re-engineered, with provision for dry sump oiling [ among other mods ].
With a tight LSA version of the RA4 cam [ 105 v 113.5 ], production QJ carb, 8.4:1 CR, headers. it made 451 hp. When the carb was swapped for a Holley, it made 463 hp....but lost 13 ft.lbs of tq. When CR was increased to 11.9:1, it made 530 hp.

Sounds like they couldn’t tune a Holley

Interesting how he says the mystified fuel of the annular carb follows the are column better and distributes better. Also says the annular carbs tend to flows 60-65 cfm less but the power is better because of the mystified fuel that's that's easily combustible especially the low to mid range even the top end when the fuel is mystified better. Interesting stuff indeed.

You can get annular boosters that don’t restrict flow. If I know about them he needs to catch up.

That makes zero sense. Just none.
Maybe not to you but he's obviously figured it out how to make more power with improved combustion. He also runs 200 psi cylinder pressures in his street engines so he has a good grasp on what happens in the cylinder and how to prevent detonation and pre ignition due to poor mixture quality.

Some of you guys have a video for everything. Lmao. To many video worshiper around here that probably watch a video to learn how to wipe their azz

Some of you guys have a video for everything. Lmao. To many video worshiper around here that probably watch a video to learn how to wipe their azz
Says the guy posting Darin Morgan vids.........:rofl:

I’m lucky I was patient enough to make it through a five minute video on how to make a vacuum tester.

Honestly I’ve never watched one. I shared it for you guys. I’m to old to learn new tricks.
That's a shame because Darin would have given you an insight into what was happening with fuel mixture and how that changed his thinking when he saw what it was doing on the wet flow bench.

This guy is saying the same thing......If you don't want to learn anything new that's fine but maybe some of the other guys do......

I don't want to start any argument. But this past season a racer local to me. Has won hundreds of Braket races through the years, as I have too. So his carb and mine are both well sorted out. His is a APD 750. It's on a 427 SBF he made two passes in his car. 1.28 sixty foot 5.91 @ 112 mph in the eighth. My carb is a 1040 pro systems 4150 style carb. I made two passes in my AMX. 1.32 at 60 feet 5.99 at 112 mph in the eighth. My engine is a 421 SBM. We swapped carbs made no adjustments to the carbs other than idle speed. We made two passes with the swapped carbs. He went 1.27 at 60 feet 5.87 @ 113 mph. I went 1.34 at 60 feet and 6.02 @ 111 mph.
I really don't know what that tells you other than his engine likes a bigger carb and mine doesn't like a smaller carb. We were just there on a test and tune day. Try to see what would happen if we swapped carbs. He did purchase a APD 1040 carb 4150 style carb. His car picked up an average of 5 hundreds with the new carb.

Last edited:
That's a shame because Darin would have given you an insight into what was happening with fuel mixture and how that changed his thinking when he saw what it was doing on the wet flow bench.

This guy is saying the same thing......If you don't want to learn anything new that's fine but maybe some of the other guys do......

Watching it and doing it are two different things. Some guys do, some guys parrot what other guys do.

To me the carb is a necessary restriction. FI guy's don't want any restrictions in the throttle body. Ideally you probably want the least restriction where the carb will function they way you want it to for street/streetstrip/race etc... If you gain hp through better atomization but lose more hp through pumping loss probability gonna be a net loss in performance. Like everything in life, looking for a balance.

Screenshot_20240101-061224_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240101-062555_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240101-070309_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240101-070346_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240101-070711_Gallery.jpg

AVS2 on ^^^ a stock build 360
650 cfm

Ran out nice on the engine test run stand, responsive.

☆☆☆☆☆

-
Back