Best Carter carburetor upgrade for 67 383 s?

-

LovetheA's

Reaction score
Asking for some help;

I have the stock Carter afb 4298s on my 67 383 4 speed formula s and want to upgrade to a bigger cfm Carter that I can just rebuild put on and go. I know that my 67 intake is limited by smaller openings primary 1 7/16" and secondary 1 9/16". Could I for example put on the Carter carb that came on a 67 440 4 speed B car and improve performance as I feel that my engine is undercarbed? Is it a moot point because of the limitation with the smaller intake openings and runners. Can I put on a spacer of some sort to remedy this without changing intake?

Carl

You could put a spacer under the new carb. I would not do that myself. I would ether do;

Bore the intake holes out for the larger butterflies of the larger carb

OR

Get a TQ intake and large TQ carb.

IF staying with an OE look, becareful of what carb you pluck from another engine. The early 440 engines did indeed come equipped with a small AFB.

Make sure you get the "750cfm" AFB or AVS, which would be my choice, AVS that is.

You could put a spacer under the new carb. I would not do that myself. I would ether do;

Bore the intake holes out for the larger butterflies of the larger carb

OR

Get a TQ intake and large TQ carb.

IF staying with an OE look, becareful of what carb you pluck from another engine. The early 440 engines did indeed come equipped with a small AFB.

Make sure you get the "750cfm" AFB or AVS, which would be my choice, AVS that is.
Rumblefish360

Thanks for the advice.

Carl

what do the primary openings in the intake measure? if smaller than 1 9/16" grind them larger or throw on an aluminum intake-dual plane. run a Carter from a 440 magnum 375 hp like I do=750 cfm, 1968-1970 ish, I picked 1 up from a swap for $100.

what do the primary openings in the intake measure? if smaller than 1 9/16" grind them larger or throw on an aluminum intake-dual plane. run a Carter from a 440 magnum 375 hp like I do=750 cfm, 1968-1970 ish, I picked 1 up from a swap for $100.
Primaries on intake 1 7/16" and secondaries 1 9/16".

I am using a 800AVS edlebrock on a TM-6 with factory air cleaner 69. If you are running a stock air filter config on a 67 with factory intake I would think an adapter would still fit under the hood.

-
Back