Best cocktail

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I was watching a YouTube video. (Puddins fab shop) and he claims to have unlocked a rusted engine with vinegar. Then I was watching another channel (duddies adventures) and he says transmission fluid works the best.

I have also heard kerosene works but I don't have a source for kerosene anywhere near by so that's out.

What do you guys use that works ??

20220130_220246.jpg

Penetrating oil...soak... turn crank direction of down stroke... tap with block of wood and dead blow at the same time..
Get someone to help.
You can soak it with the engine upside down on a stand as well ,both ways.

idk about how good it is for penetrating a frozen engine, but vinegar works great at loosening up rust
8.75 chunk I got as a giant frozen rust ball and now I have it all rust free and painted. Process took about 4 weeks total. I let it sit for a week at a time then took it out and hosed it off...repeat. By the 2nd week the rust had loosened around all the fasteners and all the components came apart without too much trouble

20211221_153907.jpg

20211227_115244.jpg

20220119_155243.jpg

20220119_155249.jpg

20220119_155303.jpg

idk about how good it is for penetrating a frozen engine, but vinegar works great at loosening up rust
8.75 chunk I got as a giant frozen rust ball and now I have it all rust free and painted. Process took about 4 weeks total. I let it sit for a week at a time then took it out and hosed it off...repeat. By the 2nd week the rust had loosened around all the fasteners and all the components came apart without too much trouble

View attachment 1715861922

View attachment 1715861923

View attachment 1715861924

View attachment 1715861925

View attachment 1715861926
The pic in the OP is vinegar in the cylinder. It's a 318 with rust in 2 cylinders.

I wasn't sure if straight vinegar would do anything because I don't have any acetone right now

Mixture of diesel and transmission fluid. smells good too !

The pic in the OP is vinegar in the cylinder. It's a 318 with rust in 2 cylinders.

I wasn't sure if straight vinegar would do anything because I don't have any acetone right now
There is a "Cleaning Vinegar" at the store that works better than the Vinegar in the Food Isles

Have not heard anyone mention PB-Blaster yet? That is the best Penetrating Oil on the market. Does not evaporate right away.

Whatever Penetrating oil you use, give it "Time" to work, days . .

If I ever have to pull off rusty bumper bolts, I start soaking them down with PB-Blaster a week in advance and keep re-appling it to keep it wet.

They come apart nice then when I have a go of it.

i have access to 86% vinegar might be good for the tough stuff lol.

marvel mystery oil is as good as any for unsticking parts .

I've tried purt near all the internet crappola and the one thing I've seen work absolutely better than anything else was good old cheap white vinegar. Dat stuff WORKS.

I've used Kroil in the past. As to a source of kerosene, if you have an ACE Hardware store near you they may carry it, mine does.

Here's another vote for vinegar. I use the cheap stuff from the restaurant supply store.

Here's a tip if you want to soak something that's big, heavy, long, or other awkward shape. A while back I was trying to get a slant intake/exhaust loose from each other, they were rusted up badly. This was pretty bulky and I didn't want to use a trash can and have to fill it with 20 gallons of vinegar. And then what to do with all that vinegar afterwards? Anyway, I put the manifolds in a heavy duty trash bag, then put that in the trash can. I put about a gallon of vinegar in the trash bag for starters, then filled the trash can outside of the bag with water. This forced the bag tight to the manifolds such that it only took about two gallons to immerse the parts while all the rest of the volume was taken up with water. It worked pretty slick.

Might not be an option for your engine block but it would work for smaller items.

for my 8.75 I used 4 gallons of white vinegar from Costco. About $2 per gallon so $8 total. The vinegar is dark dark brown after finishing the big part of the chunk but I'm still using it for other stuff. I got an assortment of rusty sockets at a garage sale and I dropped all of those in the mixture and in about 3 days the chrome on it was stained but no longer rusty. Quick water rinse and then motor oil bath and they're ready to go again.
I've tried using apple cider vinegar in the past (higher concentration vs white vinegar) and I found it to be to aggressive. It "ate" too much and I found part of my tool had completely disintegrated after about 4 days in the juice

for my 8.75 I used 4 gallons of white vinegar from Costco. About $2 per gallon so $8 total. The vinegar is dark dark brown after finishing the big part of the chunk but I'm still using it for other stuff. I got an assortment of rusty sockets at a garage sale and I dropped all of those in the mixture and in about 3 days the chrome on it was stained but no longer rusty. Quick water rinse and then motor oil bath and they're ready to go again.
I've tried using apple cider vinegar in the past (higher concentration vs white vinegar) and I found it to be to aggressive. It "ate" too much and I found part of my tool had completely disintegrated after about 4 days in the juice
You put your tool in vinegar?

Old school method to painting over galvanized parts was to acid etch them with vinegar rinse with water and dry. It is pretty strong stuff.

White vinegar tends to have seven percent acetic acid, which I have found works very well on small parts. You have to be patient, it's a very slow process. I have done fuel sender locking rings, they came out after three weeks looking brand new.
It should do well in a corroded piston/cylinder. You might need to pack plumbers putty on the bottom of the piston, to keep the fluid from draining past it.

Another vote for a 50-50 mix of diesel fuel and ATF.

My grandpa taught me this using it on old farm machinery growing up on the farm.

It just simply works.

ATF is an insidious liquid that finds leaks anywhere they could exist.

So overnight the vinegar made a difference, I'm actually impressed with the difference it made in just one night.

But I cleared it out and I happened to have a can of pb blaster tht the nozzle was busted so it wouldn't spray.

So I punctured the can and poured it in, I'm going to give it at least a week to work

20220131_163643.jpg

20220131_163633.jpg

20220131_163630.jpg

Dude I know that rescues old farm tractors for build competition pulling tractors pulls them dead stuck out of the field and fills the cylinders with a 50/50 mix of Coca Cola and dot 3 brake fluid (not dot 5 synthetic). A good bouncing 200-300 miles home on the trailer and they are pretty much unstuck by the time you get home.

-
Back