best degreaser to use before paint

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Painting a work trucks bed that has had greasy car parts and oil back there. What's the best degreaser and how do you apply it? Surface needs to be as clean as possible for the epoxy coating. I mopped some yellow "Awesome" degreaser back there already and pressure washed it already.

Body shop "Prepsol". Haven't used it in years tho. Cost might scare me now.

I think anything like Awesome, Simple Green or Purple Stuff will probably do the job. Just scrub it good with a scratchy brush to get in the nooks and crannies. Then maybe mix up some Dawn dishwashing soap in a bean sprayer and scrub it one more time with that and rinse. Blow it out with a leaf blower and let it sit overnight to dry....then lay it to it!

I use the bodyshop grade wax and grease remover (Proform). The stuff I have says not to use it on primer.

I'd use a stiff bristle brush with whatever cheap degreaser you want to use. Might take a couple cycles to make sure all the grease is out. Then I'd hit it with the DA sander and blow the dust out. Wash with Dawn soap. Wipe with auto body wax and grease remover and then a final wipe with 70% isopropyl alcohol.

Gon by XIM is the best solvent wax and grease remover I've used. Believe it or not there is a correct way to wipe a vehicle down. You need to have one lint free towel soaked with solvent and then dry ones. It will lift the contamination off the panel and leave a clean surface. I see a lot of painters who just spray the panel with wax and grease remover and then dry it with a towel. It isn't the right way and leaves residue on the panel.

If you are talking about the entire cleaning process, then a thorough cleaning with something like Simple Green followed by a thorough cleaning with dish washing soap, followed by time to completely dry followed by a final cleaning with an automotive grade wax and degreaser will prep for any paint. If you just are talking about the final cleaning before paint, then use an automotive grade wax and degreaser. I have used a LOT of wax and degreasers over the years, and I think I like Eastwood's 'Pre' cleaner best. It comes in easy-to-use spray cans. It's just called Pre.

Dawn Dish Soap for the final wash, then rinse and blow dry.

Dawn cuts the grease.

-
Back