best distributor for the buck

-
Just ,wow... Met Trailbeast,driven his car.. His kits ,work... The design2 drive HEI kit is slick,& flat works... Even considered the big cap HEI,for my Magnum... If technology improves with time, why not take advantage of it? 20 years ago, Mopar options were: Stock electronic/points/ Mallory -Accel aftermarket... Done parts for 2 decades, enjoy some of today's technology...

I wish some folks could be more open minded to a different concept such as the mopar HEI hybrid. At the very least temp wire one, try it, and see, instead of just making fun of it with hack job pix of module installs, and billybob mullets. I know i like to make fully informed decisions.

I agree abodybomber theres a lot more options out there than we used to have. Just got to find the one that you like the best. I liked the designed2drive setup since i am building up a hot 360 or possibly a 410 stroker but dressing it up to appear like a stock restored 67 273 V8. I am trying to hide this modification to keep it looking somewhat like a stock points system. Even made my ballast resistor into a hidden jumper wire LOL

Even going to use a set of ported out 68 340 exhaust manifolds. I know they dont flow as good as headers do, but they flow better than other A body SBM manifolds, and will complete the deception i am after.

I wish some folks could be more open minded to a different concept such as the mopar HEI hybrid. At the very least temp wire one, try it, and see instead of just making fun of it with hack job pix of the module installs, and billybob mullets. I know i like to make fully informed decisions.

I agree abodybomber theres a lot more options out there than we used to have. Just got to find the one that you like the best. I liked the designed2drive setup since i am building up a hot 360 or possibly a 410 stroker but dressing it up to appear like a stock restored 67 273 V8. I am trying to hide this modification to keep it looking somewhat like a points system.

That 360-410/ stock 273 restore,sounds like a hoot... Enjoy.

You constantly talk about how hei is a more powerful system, so I ask you, prove it.
And dont show me your little video with the hei spark. Prove it to us in real world performance.
Prove to me how much better your car is than everyone else's cars with factory ignition.
And when your ready to line your car up against my little orange box Chrysler ignition Dart, let me know.
Warning: Prepare for the smackdown :burnout: :glasses7:

lets just use a magneto then. cure all of this! best spark out there!

Thanks, i am going the sleeper resto route all the way. Want the car to appear as a stock 273, 4 speed, bucket seat, no console basic no frills coupe. Even keeping the radio delete LOL. its going to be very understated low key looking. Going with body colored steelies with 67 plymouth dog dishes. 1967 plymouth daffodil yellow, with black interior.

My avatar shows how i have beefed up the chassis. My subframe connectors are 2x3 1/8 box steel. My homemade torque boxes are 1/8 steel plate i bent up at work. All poly suspension. Big sway bars, cordoba big brakes all around, and an aluminum diet on the front end.

I have been collecting up parts this last 2 years got 75% of what i need to put the car together. I have been rebuilding/restoring components and pieces during this time and storing them away until needed in final assembly, I am slowly getting my project time back just in time now that fall will soon be here along with cooler weather. i am excited to be able able to progress further on it soon.

Another Excellent thread Honored Posters (inclusive :D),

I need to chime in here,

1) I changed the dual point setup in 'Tinfish' to a gold box / ballast setup circa '79
The same served Me faithfully 15 Yrs without incident.
2)GM HEI was a packaging /$/ Engineering Benchmark that worked & still does---
(this coming from a cut Me I bleed Mopar purist).
3)Ign systems evolve, as the Tech evolves, hence incorporation of Ign modules
into the on board PCM. circa an '84 2.2 TBI Daytona O:) ---just as a baseline--
4)I am now into My 35'th Year as a 'driveability tech' --- Principal of Mind Products LLC --
(Automotive Diagnosis & Consultation),

Thx added for the links moparmat2000,

I need to chime in here,

1) I changed the dual point setup in 'Tinfish' to a gold box / ballast setup circa '79
4)I am now into My 35'th Year as a 'driveability tech' --- Principal of Mind Products LLC --

Norm,you know your sh*t,in conversation with you.. Just can't not see taking advantage, of newer tech. Anyone who works( has worked?...) on Ford V.V. carbs,can appreciate that.....

I need to chime in here,

Your very welcome sir. Glad to help you out.

Norm,you know your sh*t,in conversation with you.. Just can't not see taking advantage, of newer tech. Anyone who works( has worked?...) on Ford V.V. carbs,can appreciate that.....

Oh my GAWD. I have a friend who had an 86 Crown Vic. 351W, with the VV carb. We never could get that POS right.

Your very welcome sir. Glad to help you out.

Lol,
Always a pleasure Sir,
When ' Tinfish ' runs again, I WILL use the HEI Module add on feature...

Mopar dist, dime a dozen in the yard, Re-bushed, $40, add on HEI, ??? $46 ???

By way of drawbacks, well, none, the thing is the GM DIST shaft is .890 inches
longer ( by My loose measurements) than the Mopar Dist shaft...

Both the shafts are low carbon steel, however, 'wind up' --- rpm load ---
= real timing v/s an intermediate shaft add on = shorter is 'more gooder' LOL.

Read Stable Timing at ANY Rpm... OCD indeed LOL!!

Once Again Honored Posters...
When ' Tinfish ' runs again, I WILL use the HEI Module add on feature...

AND SHAVE MY HEAD, I HATE MULLETS.

Edit,
Rob & Tim,
Pm me on the V/V if needed

Oh come on dude, you know the mullet is the fashion rage right now. Business in the front, party in the back LOL. BTW i get that West Texas sunburn on my neck every summer even though i am not a fan of camaros in 4x4 form , does the neck still make me a Redneck

hmmm maybe this guy could custom build these units for a few of us since he has it down and does it well...... what do you think OP? i might give up my big head msd unit for a nice made more compact unit like that...

o.k. found an MSD ignition kit for a mopar small block at about $600 without wires.
does this sound reasonable?

I run the fbo setup! With a stock Mopar distributor, with fbo's curve plate. Looks somewhat stock, and has a built in rev limiter. I'm not positive, but I believe MRL has tested these with very good results against an msd setup. And it's much cheaper. It does away with the ballast and you have to use the pertronix coil! I'll get a picture when I get home!

FYI GM HEI stock modules give a hotter spark up to about 7,000 rpm then they start to break up. The mopar gold box gives a clean spark up to 10,000 rpm which is great and can be made hotter, if pared up with a 1.4 ohm ballast resistor.

The big question is who here except for serious drag racers wing their engines to 10 grand. The reason mopar V8s make their max power around 5K is the more precision it needs to be so the faster you can spin it to get the HP the more expensive the costs. Not worthwile for large scale production.

Nascar engines turn around 9,800 rpm for hours at a time every race. Thats great, but they cost about $50K apiece, and the only things in the long blocks they reuse besides blocks and heads are the cranks and cams up to 3 times in each engine rebuild if they check out ok. The rest of it one time use. Pistons, rods, springs, pushrods, lifters, valve springs etc.

i've never shopped these pieces.The summit catalogue has a confusing selection
but individually the MSD distributors and control boxes price out around $250 +or - each
no?

No one asked what I thought about MSD, but I'm going to tell you anyway. :D
I think that's a shootload of money for the pretty red stuff with the MSD logo on it when there are so many totally functional ignition system combinations for so much less.
And if something ever quits I don't want to find out it's on order and wait for it for days.

No one asked what I thought about MSD, but I'm going to tell you anyway. :D
I think that's a shootload of money for the pretty red stuff with the MSD logo on it when there are so many totally functional ignition system combinations for so much less.
And if something ever quits I don't want to find out it's on order and wait for it for days.

Amen

-
Back