Best Engine Paint ?

-

DartThis74

Reaction score
I have painted my dusters engine with duplicolor rattle can ceramic engine paint possibly 2 years ago. The engine has never ran and it's already rusted through majority of the block just by sitting around. In my Dart I have a slant six and used also the ceramic engine paint and after driving it around it has burned right off and looks like crap. How is it these show cars have amazing looking engines with nice bright paint and are driven around as well ? What is the trick to this ? Thanks

Aaron

that might have been bad prep prior to painting, my garage has painted a 360 4 318's 2 302's a 440 and a 340 all with dupli engine paint and they have sat around for a while or been installed in a car and I have no complaints

Attachments

• car stuff 025.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 3,937
  • car stuff 021.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 4,413
Rustoleum tractor paint!! not gonna give out the shade :angel7:

i use to use duplicolor, its garbage as far as im concerned

68barracuda013-2.jpg

68barracuda020-1.jpg

3109054.jpg

crossram.jpg

My son did my engine in 2003 with 5 coats of high heat urethane paint followed by 4 coats of clear with a little of the orange mixed in..just enough to see a touch of orange in the clear.

PA090513.jpg

DSCN0827.jpg

PA090516.jpg

I like POR-15. I used it on my 403 in the Jeep and my 383. The 403 has been painted for about a year and still looks good. The 383 has been painted longer but hasn't been run yet.

I tried Duplicolor, VHT, etc, with varying results. Rustoleum just came out with a new line of engine paints that kick ***. 3,000 miles on a street driver and it just wipes off with a rag and looks great. I'll never use any other engine paint again. For best results use the engine primer first.

I shoot them with acrylic enamel with a little bit more hardener in the mix...The shine just keeps getting better and better every time you run the engine.The shine lasts for ever...

273painted.jpg

You mean Farmall red?

allis chalmers orange :thumblef:

i've also used the rustoleum hemi orange like Ramcharger. it also looks good, like he said you gotta use their primer with the engine paint. the tractor paint just covers over anything. the tractor paint is definatly easier to apply and more glossy, but if your after the correct shade the engine paint is the way to go. i use to shoot em with a spray gun and acrylic enamal but the rustoleum seems to hold up even better. thats all i'll use anymore.

this is the hemi orange
70roadrunner035.jpg

next to the chalmers orange
70roadrunner020.jpg

Mopar Performance....Street Hemi Orange.

This paint is 2 years old,and looks like the day I painted it.
Of course with any paint,its all in the prep.

Attachments

• 30 D pics 017.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 4,190
spray can stuff is garbage. a high solids polyurethane over epoxy primer is what you want.. holds up to just about anything you throw at it...

5-17-05002.jpg

3.8-1.jpg

I have used VHT Engine enamel.....the old stuff was very good...had good gloss....the newer stuff, the gloss not so good.

thanks for the posts everyone. I'll have to take a look at what I can find around here to paint my 360 when I pull it out over the holidays.

My son did my engine in 2003 with 5 coats of high heat urethane paint followed by 4 coats of clear with a little of the orange mixed in..just enough to see a touch of orange in the clear.

PA090513.jpg

DSCN0827.jpg

PA090516.jpg

that looks nice. that isn't the engine color paint though. the engine color doesn't have metallic in it. thats the body exterior color. just putting that out there incase someone wants the correct color..

I'm a firm believer in off the shelf engine paint in a spray can (it's what I have used for 25 years). But….. Any paint will fail if the surface isn't cleaned correctly.

Why I like spray cans for an engine……

1. It's cheep

2. It's readily available

3. I can touch up the engine any time I want.

Just don't get the real cheep stuff (Spend $5.00 a can not $1.99 :) ).

is there any color that is close to the Chrysler blue that is not in the spray can ? I suppose I could paint my 360 hemi orange, but I like the blue better. AlSO, how would you recommend prepping the engine block,etc... since it is very porous because of the sand casting.

that looks nice. that isn't the engine color paint though. the engine color doesn't have metallic in it. thats the body exterior color. just putting that out there incase someone wants the correct color..

Funny you should mention that. A lot of people don't know or notice real Hemi Orange (exterior) has metallic in it. When the new Challengers came out I pointed out to the sales guy in the show room that the front bumper cover was correct but the rest of the car was MISSING metallic... Good quality control:cheers:

The block should be "Baked". There's a local guy who does this for my machinist. It removes all traces of oil and grease but it should still be wiped down with MEK or Acetone before painting. FOr a smoother surface you can also grind down all the rough spots but that's a ***** and very, very time consuming. No point in that unless you're going for a Riddler Award.

is there any color that is close to the Chrysler blue that is not in the spray can ? I suppose I could paint my 360 hemi orange, but I like the blue better. AlSO, how would you recommend prepping the engine block,etc... since it is very porous because of the sand casting.

The blue paint code is #5351D. That's a dupont number

Funny you should mention that. A lot of people don't know or notice real Hemi Orange (exterior) has metallic in it. When the new Challengers came out I pointed out to the sales guy in the show room that the front bumper cover was correct but the rest of the car was MISSING metallic... Good quality control:cheers:

The bumpers had it and nothing else did? Now that's funny.

My shop sprayed my 360 in Mopar Street Hemi Orange. Its not very brite but it seems to be holding up. It might look good with a little clear.

-
Back