Best engine stand for 340

-
Does anyone have a preference for engine stands for an LA engine?
For building or storing? If you shop at Harbor Freight, size up and you will be safer and happier. Years ago the cheapies were 750# capacity. Cheap POS's. They would tip over just looking at them. Get a "I" shaped frame (4 wheel) and #1000+ capacity at least. I have a geared head that is real handy but the head doesn't come off so it's a bit harder to bolt the block up.
Also, Buy some quality grade 8 bolts instead of the cheapies that usually come with the stand.

Last edited:
For building or storing? If you shop at HArbor Freight, size up and you will be safer and happier. Years ago the cheapies were 750# capacity. Cheap POS's. They would tip over just looking at them. Get a "I" shaped frame (4 wheel) and #1000+ capacity at least. I have a geared head but the head doesn't come off so it's a bit harder to bolt it up.
Also, Buy some quality grade 8 bolts instead of the cheapies that usually come with the stand.
free shipping ends tonight !!! $248 good deal 1000lbs using it for my Dads flathead //just pulled the trigger myself I have their versa cut 60 plasma cutter///LUV IT

Last edited:
I have a Harbor Freight 2000 pound folding stand and I like it a lot. I believe it will hold every bit of it too.

69522_W3.jpg

I've got this one from Harbor Freight. Had a 6.7 Cummins on it rebuilding it and it never grunted, groaned, or tried to tip over. Plus it folds up nice and takes up little room.

I have a Harbor Freight 2000 pound folding stand and I like it a lot. I believe it will hold every bit of it too.
does it rotate ??? v8 are a little easer to "flip" a old L head /6 will keep you on your toes with high center of gravity !!
and the rotating head keeps everything in place once you stop safety is worth the price !!

https://shop.harborfreight.com/medi...8eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/6/9/69522_W3.jpg

I threw my old one out "cheapie" my back cant take the "flip" anymore and I have another /6 to rebuild for my Dad's truck

500_6576.jpg

500_6567-Edit-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
I actually have that one. Somewhat challenged though gettting the block from the hoist with the spread legs to the stand.
I always bolt the piece that holds the engine to the block and then a friend helps me pick it up and slide it into the stand. Getting it off the stand I just hook the hoist up to it with their legs positioned as best as I can and remove the piece off the stand again, then unbolt.

does it rotate ??? v8 are a little easer to "flip" a old L head /6 will keep you on your toes with high center of gravity !!
and the rotating head keeps everything in place once you stop safety is worth the price !!

https://shop.harborfreight.com/medi...8eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/6/9/69522_W3.jpg

I threw my old one out "cheapie" my back cant take the "flip" anymore and I have another /6 to rebuild for my Dad's truck

View attachment 1715709754

View attachment 1715709755

Yes.

This is the one I am talking about ^^^^^
I meant to reference the GEARED head which is "flip"proof and safer
you control the rotation in any position//no more trying to hold the engine while fumbling for a locking pin/I work alone// a lot..
thats why I just pulled the trigger on the eastwood

just my 2c:icon_fU:

Last edited:
I'm with everyone, get the best and heaviest rating for it. But I think it needs to be painted GOLD to go with the value everyone rates them to.
:lol:
Does anyone have a towel?

I got a 2000 lb folding HF stand, brand new, wating for my knee replacement to heal and it's going to hold a "57" 392 Hemi. I think it should do the trick.
But you know I'm thinking about building front support arm for a little extra help.

-
Back