Best flowing Oil Filter?

-

MoparMuscleGuy

Still plays with cars.
Reaction score
I would like to see what you would say is the best flowing oil filter that still gives adequate filtration/Protection. MMG

Wix is the best. A cheap Fram filter flows good but filters poorly and decreases your oil pressure. tmm

Since this is posted in the transmission section, do you mean to use the filter on a transmission or an engine?

For high flow applications, the Wix 51970 / Fram 3612 will flow more than three times what a Wix 51515 / Fram PH8A will.

The 51970 is the spec filter for the Allison MT654 automatic transmissions, as well as many 12L Detroit Diesel engines Hamburger & Fram both make remote mount bases for that filter.

Here are the specs for comparison:

Wix 51970

Wix 51515

Honestly, a clean filter of any kind beats a 2 year old one with 6k miles on it.

The only engine I ever lost to a filter failure was a Wix filter. After a routine oil change, the new Wix filter came apart, and clogged the crankshaft passages with fiber mud. Lost the rod bearings. About an hour after the oil change. Wix replaced the filter... the rest was out of pocket.

the "mini-mopar" filter test is interesting, but so old not it may not mean much. Manufacturing practices do not stay static for decades anymore. Fram is no longer even the same company. If you cut the same brands apart again you may have very different findings.

Millions of so called "bad" filters are sold every year. Failed engines are less and less common. Plenty of cars go to the boneyard with engines that still run at 200k miles. With (gasp!) fram filters on them. The taxi company next door to my shop buys fram filters by the case. The Pep Boys down the street sells hundreds of Pro Line house brand filters along with fram & purolator every month. Somehow most of the people that buy them get along just fine.

Buy what ever filter makes you happy. Change it often.

B.

-
Back