Best head/cam combo for a 340?

-

mopardart72

I'm a pretty big deal
Reaction score
Got my hands on a 340 bare block with steel crank so I'm gunna be using this instead of a 400. So what's my best head/ cam choice. Keep in mind this is a 21 year olds budget lol so no race heads I want the best head factory wise and a good lopey but streetable cam to match. Idc if I have to take it to a machine shop for bigger valves just best bang for my buck sorta thing.

What are you putting the motor in? What is your plans for the car?

If it is a street car....
If you don't aready have heads, I would look for a set of later design swirl port heads or even consider putting a set of Magnum heads on it.

I did a motor years ago for my dads 68 barracuda. I used a stock 70 model bottom end build with KB flat tops keeping compression around 10:1, took a set of J-heads and opened the valves up to 2.02/1.60 and had a really good valve job done, no porting. Used a Comp Cams XE268, RPM intake, 750 Carb, electronic ignition and a set of headers. It was a 904 with an MP166K converter and 3.55 gears. The car was very streetable and ran awesome......

My 340 had the stock heavy pistons, MP 474/280 cam advance 2*. a 2800 stall, has a nice clean lope. I'm sure there is better cams out there now thought.

Got my hands on a 340 bare block with steel crank so I'm gunna be using this instead of a 400. So what's my best head/ cam choice. Keep in mind this is a 21 year olds budget lol so no race heads I want the best head factory wise and a good lopey but streetable cam to match. Idc if I have to take it to a machine shop for bigger valves just best bang for my buck sorta thing.
ther was a good set of w2s in the for sale sec.cant get any better than that for the money,,,,,,,,,,,them and a 509 cam ooooooooboy I hope your redy for it..
................Artie

Can you give us some hints? Are we to assume this is goin in some kinda A body? What gear? Auto or manual trans? Clues on compression, intake and exhaust choices might help a little. What's your budget? Don't just tell us it's a "budget build", give us a number. The more you help us, the more we can help you and the more accurate that help will be.

Can you give us some hints? Are we to assume this is goin in some kinda A body? What gear? Auto or manual trans? Clues on compression, intake and exhaust choices might help a little. What's your budget? Don't just tell us it's a "budget build", give us a number. The more you help us, the more we can help you and the more accurate that help will be.

x2

Is this a full build ?
Do you just got a block and crank?
Or a complete short block?
What pistons, above, below or zero deck?
How much gear and stall you willing to live with?
Any 340/360, Magnum heads can get you about 400hp so depends mainly the compression ratio and budget.

-
Back