Best mini starter

-

Paul Davidson

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was looking at rock auto for a starter for my 360 magnum and there were quite a few options and different kw ratings is there one that's better than the rest? Also any certain one that has the terminals in a good place or ones to stay away from. It's going in a 67 Barracuda with dougs headers

I was looking at rock auto for a starter for my 360 magnum and there were quite a few options and different kw ratings is there one that's better than the rest? Also any certain one that has the terminals in a good place or ones to stay away from. It's going in a 67 Barracuda with dougs headers
Using a 4 speed?

Grab a stock one out of a yard and replace the $4 contacts. I've seen 2 Kv ratings (usually a short and a long case) but Im not sure if that's even an issue as I had a stock RAM Denso starter kicking over a 451 auto with absolutely no problem.

If you buy from Rock, I would recommend a new one in lieu of rebuilt. Not much difference. 440 Source sells them for about $100.

I searched one for a 1991 dodge D-150 Pickup, and it worked really well on my Slant Duster. Bought it new on Ebay

Screenshot_20221103-071115_Firefox.jpg

20221103_071631.jpg

Whichever version I happen to have laying around here, collecting dust.
I try to avoid the ~98/99-01 version because of the snap in connector on the small wire. I've cut the pigtail and spliced it in before, but then you're stuck with that version. If I had to go buy one, I'd spend the money on the early version.the oldest vehicle I've seen come with that style starter from the factory was my 89 diplomat.
I had to do the trans in it while I owned it almost 20 years ago, and when I unbolted it from the trans I had to way-lay on that thing with a sledgehammer, it corroded itself to the bolt, stud that mounted it as well as the bell housing. It came off finally but not in 1 usable piece. Again since it was what I had laying around, that car got a common, 70s/80s starter.
I do miss the distinctive sound those old starters made, the sound Chevy guys love to hate.
Funny, back then when I had my 2 diplomat's, I lived among the furthest from where I worked at the time. One of the closest guys to work was notorious for calling off because "he couldn't get out of his driveway" with his junk Chevys, gave me $#1t all the time about driving mopars with their" whiney starters" yet I called off a whole lot less than he ever did..... Strange how that works.

Yes 4 spd

Then a heads up, if you're running a Z-Bar, which needs modified for Dougs headers, it can hit the starter here on full release and there isn't much room to move it. Just something to look out for.

1671742400203.png

I bought this starter to help my situation but it didn't help, rotating it caused other issues like getting a wire too close to the header. In the "stock" clocking position it fits better than an OE Mini starter but not by much. I still needed to file the starter and Z-bar to get barely any clearance.

if the car motor is more or less standard
any that fits that has some warranty
i.e the denso so called hi Toruqe mopar mini starter

KW rateing of a motor is a power rateing and is probably defined in ideal situations againts a dyno/brake take with pinch of salt kw rateing means little without other details regarding volatge and rpm

there is a lot advertsing waffle spouted about starters.. and very few would need anything othar than standard becasue we are not runnning huge compression motors
most of the hi torque stuff just has a nicer billet mounting/ reduction gearbox endplate, and the motor unit from a big diesel OEM application from some other brand, you can swap motor units provided the pinion on the new one matches the gearing in the mopar centric snout .

been running a rockauto rebuild magnum v8 starter ($46 no core thanks giving sale) on a high-ish compression 6 cylinder for 10 years and no problems... the shipping cost more than the motor

good starter and you can get pinions for all applications
standard US mopar 35 mm
or wierd Australian mopar and US gen ii street hemi ( direct drive small pinion first couple of months) 25mm 9 tooth are caterd for as well, if you get a pinion from australia or the UK.

this kit is handy if your wires don't match or you have no space
For Mopar: Premium mini starter conversion/relocation terminal Kit | eBay

but denso do lots of connector relocation stuff, you just need a supplier who will look in the catalogue for ya

keep in mind it is really easy to fit these starters badly and crack the mounting
the d shaped spigot on the end of the snout must go into the depression in the starter hump in the bell. if it hangs up as you try to get the starter jaws round the ring gear any wrenching without checking proper fit (no gap top or bottom) will smash the starter mounting off.
that bellhousing sealing plate will make life harder in this respect..keep it if you can, the hole in the original is too big so it won't move into position to allow fitmnet of the bolt... deal with that before starting

you don't know what fully in feels like until you have got it full in at least once... :)

Dave

Last edited:
I want to thank everyone for your suggestions and input I ordered one from 440 source so we will see.

The best mini starter ?
The $20 starter at the junkyard.
The mini starter came in approximately 30-40 different
Chrysler models. If you see a late model Chrysler at the yard,
take a peek under the hood. If it has a mini starter, it will work.
Take it home, give it a sponge bath, and bolt in on.
Life is good !!!!

-
Back