Best nasty running LA low buck builds.....

-
supercharger can't be low buck? what is the price range here?

It could be if spending $2500+ for an induction system is a OK price.

Price range? Something a 18 YO can afford on his part time min wage job. LOL

think about it, seriously! Just because you and I can drop 3K tomorrow on a super charger doesn't mean everyone can. Demographics play a roll here for starters. We pay more in property taxes and pay roll taxes than some people make all year as a gross income.

I'm not boosting/bragging to anyone out there now, just the facts.
I'm bustin *** in overtime to make ends meet in the land of tax it all and high.

This year alone, over 46K in taxes have been taken out with a months work missed on top of it. The year ain't over.
This weeks tax deduction was over $1200.

There are people here raising families on less than that on there gross income.
To you all, I give great credit too!

Low buck?

How about what I said earlier? No short block rebuilds. Just bolt on parts and a cam as the only bolt in part.

Mill, port your own heads. Hone only if YOU did it. And note it!

Lets see where the talent really lays around here! ****! Any jazz hole can throw throw together parts and have the machinist so the hard part for a price. Not everyone can afford a machine shops fee's.

Oh! That is also the reason for the thread I started titled;

"Unported head quickness" (Great thread IMO! And a new idea/thread coming.)
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=165040
And the "Post your 12 sec combo"
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=87402
and the "Post your 11 sec combo"
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=88848

Which can all be found in the Racers Forum.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/forumdisplay.php?f=74

IDK about anybody here, but doing it inexpensively as possible is the way to go. There are many ways to skin a cat, but via big bucks isn't it for me. Perhaps one day I'll make the kind of spending money I loose in taxes, but, untill that day comes........

I'm with most of you and that is "On the cheap"or simply "as cheap as possible."

Running Alky through a big buck Holley with Al. rods on a rail isn't cheap or road worthy. Getting a super Charger is doable for me, but not all. Making the most with the least is.

Frankly I look at what folks spend on their cars and can't help wonder how much of this is done unwisely, perhaps on credit. As a nation we are in deep financial trouble because of irresponsible spending.

ROFLMAO

That ain't cheap no way no how on any planet except the billions moon. Come on now.

Warren Buffet called, said quit being so cheap! LOL :D

340, home ported J heads, 557 mechanical, 273 rockers, Victor, 750, lots of converter and gear, good for high 11's.

recently built 2 low budget 340s. One in my car now cost me $2400 because of the edelbrock heads. It is a .030 340 with alot of descent used parts. factory forged crank turned .010/.010, lightened 340 rods w/ arp bolts, trw 2316 forged pistons, comp .520/.540 mechanical cam, kevko pan, oiling mods by me, prw 1.5 rockers. Engine made 428 HP on the dyno. 2nd engine is the same bottom end with some ported 2.02 J heads and a MP .508 and 273 rockers. About $1500 in this 340 and it made 398 HP.

318 with used factory flat tops, ebay re-ring kit, a crank i got from the machine shop for $60 because mine was trash and he owed me lol howards racing cam .475 lift and 276 advertised with [email protected]
Untouched magnum heads from the yard for $60 and a stock four barrel 360 cast iron intake with re drilled holes i got for free, summit brand timing chain, honed cylinders myself, holley 600. Total im out of pocket less than $700. Should be running in a weel or two...
Also found the pushrods on ebay for $40 and im running 1.6 rockers so its .501 lift.

Though its not the most nastiest sounding 340 ull ever hear, its pretty stout.
4.070 kb flat tops
9.5 comp
Mildy ported x heads
Ld340 intake
.528 solid cam 284* 112cl installed at 107*
Ground and resized crank and rods with arp bolts
Headman headers
750 dbl pump Holley
4spd w/3.73 gears on 25 inch tires ' no traction'
Will snap ur neck back nicely.
I ran it once with a dog crap weiand single plane and same tires and went 13 somethings...could not hook up, of course its not race car..just a street terrorizer.

PM'd you.

Sorry, for what ever it is you see that I did. I thought it is and will be a great thread.

Frankly I look at what folks spend on their cars and can't help wonder how much of this is done unwisely, perhaps on credit. As a nation we are in deep financial trouble because of irresponsible spending.

No kidding, this goes for newer cars as well, people just look at the monthly payments and sign the lease...then 3 years goes by and they spent $13,000 and turn the car back in and lease another one

I know this hobby sure isn't cheap, the money I must have spent, if only I kept track from day one, LOL

In a way the higher fuel prices have made me spend less on it since I don't drive it as much

or a father of 3 all under the age of 10 :D

Or a father of 4 under the age of 11, and two more that I consider my own age 7 and 5! lol. Throw in that my paychecks gross $1200...biweekly...with the overtime. You don't even want to know what I bring home.

My old 360 had a bone stock 1972 bottom end and home-ported 1.88 j heads, an old crane 224/[email protected] .460/.450 lift, LD340, 750 dp, 1 5/8 headers, 2900 stall 904 and 3.23 gears. Horrible 2.0 60' time with tirespin, it ran consistent 13.6 at 100. Super reliable, lots of fun.

My new engine is low-buck, also. Well, for me it isn't, but here goes. Almost, no, I take that back, everything is used. Lots of selling/buying/trading/odd jobs, etc involved in getting it.
1970 340 .055 over with a 4" stroke, custom JE pistons (flattop but slightly higher comp ht than off-the-shelf stroker pistons), Eagle H-beams, Scat forged crank, balanced, deck cut parallel/etc, bored/honed with a plate, priority main oiling and other oiling mods, lifter bores bushed, main studs with a girdle, line-bored, almost new cloyes chain that is undersized, moroso deep pan/pickup, oil pump. Block has been mag'd, sonic tested, the works. Gave me a bunch of receipts....$1700. Thing looks new.
Comp Cams custom grind solid flat tappet, bought from a member on here, with lifters, matching springs, titanium retainers, locks, smith bros pushrods, etc. 250/[email protected], 276/288 adv, .548/.533 lift on a 104, IIRC $200
Super nice Victor 340 intake and Crane gold race rockers...FREE (in the end)
TTi step headers, $300 iirc
MP finned VC...trade
850 dp, new, holley refurbished, $280
All I have left to do is the heads. I have a set of 596 heads that I'm going to port, and have 2.02/1.6 11/32 stem valves installed.
All in all, I'm thinking it should make me happy.

I have on the engine stand the following:
1972 340 .030 kb 242 pistons, x heads, cast crank .010/.010 Lunati 60403 cam.
LD340 and 700 holley dp. I have $2600.00 in this engine.

I really dont know what to do with it.

It may go in my 73 duster 4-speed with 4.30 gear, or I may put it in my 78 power wagon 4-speed with 3.55 gear.

Either way it will be a good strong motor, built out of reliable parts, on a budget it is nothing fancy stock valve covers etc.

Here is the nitty gritty on my Purestock 360 that ran [email protected] in September:
-.030 over H405cp with Hastings moly rings($110 new from e-bay with free shipping)
-block bored and stress honed
-rods resized,crank ground .010/.010
-balanced rotating assembly
-587 heads with new guides and valve job(nothing trick or special).028 MP head gasket
-stock iron intake
-stock exhaust manifolds
-correct 6453 850 Thermoquad w/ original single snorkle air cleaner
-stock reproduction cam
Pistons ended up .045 in the hole and the heads CC'd at 71 which yeilds 8.8:1 squeeze.
Not really a "nasty build" but very inexpensive to build and ANYONE could duplicate it.

Attachments

• 2012 purestock drags shootout.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 311
69 340, k b 242 30 over ,home port x heads, port matched m1 single plane, 850 tq built, 288/288 duration 497/497 lift, 76 overlap crane doubles , stock style rockers, 1 5/8 headers 3in pipes flow 40s 391butt and a 4 speed sounds great runs hard!!

-
Back