best paint and clear coat......

-
DuPont is nice paint, This is the Chromabase

Attachments

• IMG_0012.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 397
Well, some one recomended to me years ago not to clear coat since that would make touching up impossible.
Seemed reasonable andI've followed that advice.

But that's me. I'.m sure others think differently.

The first one is Planet colour it's nice and flows well with a high price tag,
The second is strait Urethane UNO by RM i love this stuff for colours with no metallic sprays nice and no water sanding and polishing needed.The 2nd was painted at home in my garage.

Attachments

• 2012-04-20 12.53.17.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 418
  • 006.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 410
PPG here

Attachments

• Reflection (Medium).jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 400
  • DSCF3626 (Medium) (2).jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 387
  • Trim (Medium).jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 386
  • DSCF2565 (Medium).jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 403
I use PPG on a daily basis, very user friendly. The collision shop I work at uses PPG, and most of the restorations I do are with PPG, because it's readily available.

In the past I've used
Dupont
RM-BASF
House of Kolor-Valspar
Sherwin Williams

But If I could chose what I would use all the time, and if it were available to me, hands down my pick would be SIKKENS! Best paint out there!

I AM A fan of PPG PRODUCTS. just keep in mind that some of the less expensive products are not as durable and will not last long.. its the old pay me now.. or pay me later.
i also dont mind using the private label stuff from keystone. its all made by cumberland products..

I AM A fan of PPG PRODUCTS. just keep in mind that some of the less expensive products are not as durable and will not last long.. its the old pay me now.. or pay me later.
i also dont mind using the private label stuff from keystone. its all made by cumberland products..

I plan on using top end products. That being said I think you guys have me leaning to PPG.

I use PPG on a daily basis, very user friendly. The collision shop I work at uses PPG, and most of the restorations I do are with PPG, because it's readily available.

In the past I've used
Dupont
RM-BASF
House of Kolor-Valspar
Sherwin Williams

But If I could chose what I would use all the time, and if it were available to me, hands down my pick would be SIKKENS! Best paint out there!
Yep Sikkens is great stuff i used to spray it every day, It's hard to find around here now,Glasurit was my favorite till BASF bought them out in the 80's

I used PPG's shopline on my duster.

Came out great. only thing I have to complain about was that I got horrible coverage with the color. I had to run 5 coats of color to get it where i wanted it. However, I am not sure if that was the fault of the product or if its just that the color itself is a hard covering color.

But over all....not bad and priced right. the clear is nice.

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

IMAG0610.jpg

This is a more recent picture ( a few months after paint ). its holding up well and still shines well. Dusty in the picture but you get the idea.

IMAG0792.jpg

I used PPG's shopline on my duster.

Came out great. only thing I have to complain about was that I got horrible coverage with the color. I had to run 5 coats of color to get it where i wanted it. However, I am not sure if that was the fault of the product or if its just that the color itself is a hard covering color.

And that's what you get when you buy cheep paint. It just doesn't cover well and you end up using more.

Same thing with house paint. You can get the stuff that's $10 a gallon but you will need 4 gallons to paint a small room.......

Or

You can buy the stuff that's $30 a gallon and have paint left over if you were to paint the same sized room.

That's why I said I hated Omni. It took a quart (1/2 gallon spray-able) to paint the underside of a toyota Celica hood and get full coverage.

Almost all the secondary line of paints,lack coverage. AB,that car is stunning,I'm jealous.

And that's what you get when you buy cheep paint. It just doesn't cover well and you end up using more.

Same thing with house paint. You can get the stuff that's $10 a gallon but you will need 4 gallons to paint a small room.......

Or

You can buy the stuff that's $30 a gallon and have paint left over if you were to paint the same sized room.

That's why I said I hated Omni. It took a quart (1/2 gallon spray-able) to paint the underside of a toyota Celica hood and get full coverage.

It was by no means "cheap" lol. but yes,its was the cheaper option.

I ended up buying a gallon and a half unmixed . so about 3 gallons mixed and I used pretty much every drop of it!. BUT then again, i did under hood,under deck lid,engine bay,door jambs and all of the exterior.

I even used a tinted sealer prior to paint to get me closer to the correct color so i could avoid having to put on a bunch of coats to achieve the color i was going for. had I sprayed the color directly over a light grey sealer......I may have had to of used more than 5 coats ....who knows.

But for what I have invested into it all ,I am happy with it. I have no complaints about the quality of the paint job.....only in the usage of the materials to achieve proper color.
It was about $500 for the color,clear,hardener and reducer,and another $500 in 2k primer,sealer,sand paper and other materials. a little over $1,000.00 for the "cheaper" stuff. And it looks great. But depending on your budget and if your looking for a sema show quality job or if your paying to have someone else paint the care ....etc...etc... the sky is the limit....you could easily pay $10,000.00 for a high quality job with top of the line products. lots of things factor into it.

as for brands prefered though. I like PPG products but I had a mustang painted a few years back with dupont chroma base that came out absoloutly beautifully and covered very well .

Less pigment in cheaper paint and more clear or binder. Never used the shopline but the Omni 2 basecoat in solid colors covers very well.

I used PPG on my Dart, but have heard a lot of good things about Transtar Clears.

Attachments

• p448.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 324
-
Back