best paint and clear coat......

-

HemiMark

Reaction score
My friend and body guy say's he will spray whatever I want......but say's PPG is not the best...... What say you?

My car was sprayed with Matrix products. Very bright paint. Friend that did the car said it sprays real nice.......next time the pc is running that has the pictures on it I will post a few pictures....

Attachments

• 102_0095.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 1,588
Pony up the dough for Glasurit then. Other than that, PPG's Deltron is great. Omni is s a budget line.

Nothing wrong with PPG products other than the clear tends to dry back a little more than I prefer causing more buffing time. R&M Diamont line is great. Price compatable with PPG and the clear is freakin awesome to spray and work with.. But thats just my opinion.

PPG is the best. I sprayed the dart 12 years ago and its still looks great. Its easy to use as well. If you can't afford PPG I would go with Matrix. I woulds a lot like PPG.

Nothing wrong with PPG products other than the clear tends to dry back a little more than I prefer causing more buffing time. R&M Diamont line is great. Price compatable with PPG and the clear is freakin awesome to spray and work with.. But thats just my opinion.
What PPG clearcoat are you using that your getting die back? I been painting professionially for 30+ years and never had Concept clear die back. Omni yes but never Concept.

AkzoNobel (Lesonal line) on mine. Like most, it's overpriced. There's a local custom shop that likes to use Matrix clear over their Lesonal base. I've used the clear on other projects myself and it is nice. Sprays out flat, super glossy, and buffs easily.

house of kolor uc35 clear is great. Although not recommend to mix paint lines plenty, plenty people mix base and clear systems for their paint jobs...

PPG may not be the best for the money meaning it likely is one of the best, but you can get similar results with ppg base and a less expensive high solids clear. I plan to use PPG deltron DBC (solvent based) (pricey , but nice to work with) with http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com clear coat.(cheaper than equivalent PPG clear, many many good reviews, indicating it is more forgiving than ppg high end clears.

Than all said, at a certain level of higher end products by dupont, ppg, hok etc- the paint job comes down to prep and application/finishing skill.

Best of luck

I just got my dart painted and I used my 5-6 year old DuPont chromabase in amber fire pearl. I don't paint cars for a living but I thought it covered great 3 coats of base and 3 coats of clear. I used a friends paint booth and he said PPG but he was also impressed with the DuPont.

I paint with basf or rm everyday. Not bad..but i painted for years with ppg. I say ppg all day long. I just painted my demon with ppg deltron basecoat and 2042 clear. 2021 clear flows really nice and dries slow. Both buff great. I agree with 4404spd.....ppg s the way to go.

PPG Concept:

DSC_2434.jpg

PPG may not be the best for the money meaning it likely is one of the best, but you can get similar results with ppg base and a less expensive high solids clear. I plan to use PPG deltron DBC (solvent based) (pricey , but nice to work with) with http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com clear coat.(cheaper than equivalent PPG clear, many many good reviews, indicating it is more forgiving than ppg high end clears.

Than all said, at a certain level of higher end products by dupont, ppg, hok etc- the paint job comes down to prep and application/finishing skill.

Best of luck
On thing to remember when using less expensive clear it don't have the uv protectant that more expensive clears have meaning it could break down over time and peel. I rather do it the other way around. Solid colors I will use Omni basecoat with top shelf clear. Thats what I used on my Orange truck. Its been 3 1/2 years since painted its in PA winters and its held up great.

Attachments

• DSC00006.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 1,327
On thing to remember when using less expensive clear it don't have the uv protectant that more expensive clears have meaning it could break down over time and peel. I rather do it the other way around. Solid colors I will use Omni basecoat with top shelf clear. Thats what I used on my Orange truck. Its been 3 1/2 years since painted its in PA winters and its held up great.

its so.....ORANGE- I love it!

I'm gonna use Alumigrip. Pretty new, not in use a lot yet. Anyone ever hear of it, w/o searching for it on the net? It's not a knock-off or spin-off of another product.

Almost forgot....Love the bright *** red ab7fh! Looks awesome!

Thanks! Lot's of elbow grease.

Attachments

• DSC_2404.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 2,444
Good job ab. WOW! You can use the best stuff out there, if you don't know what you're doing it won't matter

-
Back