Best paint for interior vinyl??

-

dustoff440

Reaction score
Some of you guys who have had a good experience recommend a good paint for interior vinyl??????

I have used the duplicolor vinyl and fabric spray....from dash pads to door panels to seats....it works good you just have to know how to prep for it.

if you just spray it on or any other brand for that matter.....don't expect it not to peel right up or flake off with use.

what I do is take a fine scotch bright pad, dip it in a bucket of soapy water, scrub scrub scrun and scrub some more ( more so in seams and stitching ). then I let it dry, then I take wax and grease remover on a clean rag and wipe the part down, then I take a dry cloth and go over the hole thing to make sure its dry and any residue is gone, then I take the duplicolor adhesion promoter and spray down the hole things. once that has tacked up for a few minutes I come back through and spray a few coats of vinyl dye on and I am done!.

where most people screw up is they don't do the prep work well enough ....you have to make sure it is CLEAN!!!. and where they also screw up is when using the vinyl spray they treat it like regular spray paint....most people will hold the can 3 or so inches away and try to get heavy coverage.....NO...don't do that.

I always hold the can roughly 15" away on the first "dust" coat.....I just do a very light coating so it looks like the part is speckled with paint and you can somewhat see the original color through the paint.

after letting that dry for a couple minutes I come back at 12" for 2 more color coats.....on the last coat I will mist the entire part with the spray dye and this helps to remove any differences in glossy sheen that may very across the part and makes for a nice even finish across the whole part.

then I let it dry for about a half hour and take a dry cloth and wipe the hole part down to get any of the dye dust off and your done....works great.

For changing the color of seat and door panels I use Marhyde vinyl paint (available most car parts stores) But as DusterDude72 says Prep Prep Prep is the key. I used this stuff 20 years ago on a chevelle seats and it lasted 5 years on the drivers seat the little touch up made it look new again

Dusterdude - thanks for the tech talk - very well explained. Hope that I don't have to do it but if so you have it nailed - ta!
Gary

i would get them recovered, its semi in expensive and once you screw up with paint, itll never look good again

-
Back