Best race shocks ???

-

straightaxledar

Reaction score
Hey guys got the old dart running finally and running super comp rear leaf Springs and kyb gas shocks the rear end feels loose on the take off any suggestions on a better shock or add onsome to leaf spring that will make it stiffer thanks in advance

X2 on QA1 and Viking. OEM style shocks are just too soft on extension & compression for many applications. Koni drag shocks up front are good too. But they require removal to adjust.

Rancho (believe it or not) has a nice external micro adjustable rear shock (RS99116) that fits the Dart platform. I use them with my full CalTracs set up on my Dart & cant fault 'em.

Rancho (believe it or not) has a nice external micro adjustable rear shock (RS99116) that fits the Dart platform. I use them with my full CalTracs set up on my Dart & cant fault 'em.

They are single adjustable. If you are spending money, why not buy a double adjustable shock so you can separate bump and rebound?

Viking and QA1 double adjustable. Skip the single adjustable.

Hey thats fine. Sometimes simpler is better. I am sure I want to adjust compression on launch but I am not so concerned about rate of rebound is all.

Thanks guys for all ur input Michealb how u like them call tracs I've heard good and bad tring to get the stiffest rear end cuz on launch I don't like that straight axle feeling like its about to leave the ground

Thanks guys for all ur input Michealb how u like them call tracs I've heard good and bad tring to get the stiffest rear end cuz on launch I don't like that straight axle feeling like its about to leave the ground

The CalTracs are the eighth wonder of the world. My 408 with 3500 stall & a small NX shot in a '73 Dart will yank the front wheels and dig straight out of the box every time. It is so easy I trained my 16 year old Son on how to launch without a concern. I don't know if my combination just works or if every CalTracs dials in so well ~ but I am a believer.

The CalTracs are the eighth wonder of the world. My 408 with 3500 stall & a small NX shot in a '73 Dart will yank the front wheels and dig straight out of the box every time. It is so easy I trained my 16 year old Son on how to launch without a concern. I don't know if my combination just works or if every CalTracs dials in so well ~ but I am a believer.

There are cars running 4.40's in the 1/8 using Caltracs. So they do work.

not saying that rancho, Calvert, qa1, or Viking aren't great and won't work. but those are definitely at the head of the pack

AFCO, Santuf and Menser

Definitely top of the line with Santuf's and Menser's. IMO AFCO's are middle of the road shocks like Viking and Strange.

Not everyone needs $2000 a pair shocks.

BTW I have Viking da's on the rear of my Dart and will add a pair to the front over the winter

Guy asked for the best race shocks.. So there ya go. Shoot I have competition engineering on the front and QA1 out back. Planning on Vikings up front. I cant afford them fancy names either. lol

Guy asked for the best race shocks.. So there ya go. Shoot I have competition engineering on the front and QA1 out back. Planning on Vikings up front. I cant afford them fancy names either. lol
Ya I hear ya I can't afford big money shocks just the best bang for the buck to stiffen it up thinking qa1 in the rear thanks for all the info

I have QA1 on the front & Rancho on the back of my Dart Sport. Both are single adjustable. A 3 number range is all I've needed on the front and they work great. (low-mid 11's)

I have custom fit Viking dbl. adj on the front & Rancho on the rear of an Aspen Wagon. But the car is down and I haven't run it enough to get everything tuned yet. (low-mid 12's)

The owner of Viking originally started the QA1 shocks, but sold them and restarted his own brand.

My interpretation of "best" is what will do the job at the best price. The ease of adjustability is a big factor over others shocks that have to be removed.

I have QA1 on the front & Rancho on the back of my Dart Sport. Both are single adjustable. A 3 number range is all I've needed on the front and they work great. (low-mid 11's)
Couldn't have said it better I can't find the rancho shocks summit doesn't carry them anymore

I have custom fit Viking dbl. adj on the front & Rancho on the rear of an Aspen Wagon. But the car is down and I haven't run it enough to get everything tuned yet. (low-mid 12's)

The owner of Viking originally started the QA1 shocks, but sold them and restarted his own brand.

My interpretation of "best" is what will do the job at the best price. The ease of adjustability is a big factor over others shocks that have to be removed.

Anyone every try the competition engineering adjustable rear shocks just curios

When the Ranchos were 5-way adjustable, they were # 9114. When they went to the 9-way, they added a "9" making it 99114. Their newest variation is 999114 and a quick peek says something about "nitrogen charged". But I don't know what the exact differences/changes are or how they would perform in a drag racing application compared to the previous version.

-
Back