best rear shock for adding 1" of height???

-
'76 Duster.... these shocks have 5 star reviews, some reviews were from Dusters..

Some people don't mind the firm ride. You'll never catch me using them, because they totally work against the leaf spring rear suspension. They will and do cause loss of traction. Just like air shocks.

Some people don't mind the firm ride. You'll never catch me using them, because they totally work against the leaf spring rear suspension. They will and do cause loss of traction. Just like air shocks.
Well, I'll give a honest review about them once I got 'em installed. Ordered through Summit, so next week sometime. One thing about it, if they don't work, 4 bolts removes them

Helper springs do not add lift either. They are designed not to touch until loaded then they act as an extra leaf.
Also, I doubt you will get +1" from those spring shocks. Maybe 1/2" but who knows. Make sure you get some good measurements before and after and let us know.
The right way to do this would be add an extra leaf, have your springs re-arched or get a new set of springs.

Helper springs do not add lift either. They are designed not to touch until loaded then they act as an extra leaf.
Also, I doubt you will get +1" from those spring shocks. Maybe 1/2" but who knows. Make sure you get some good measurements before and after and let us know.
The right way to do this would be add an extra leaf, have your springs re-arched or get a new set of springs.
I'll certainly post the results - good or bad.

Well, I'll give a honest review about them once I got 'em installed. Ordered through Summit, so next week sometime. One thing about it, if they don't work, 4 bolts removes them

That's right. And they may well work for what you want. I hope they do.

Maybe I used the wrong term. I just meant "extra" springs installed in the pack. That WILL add height. Not helper springs. I said it wrong.

Back in the day I used to piece together my leaf springs from several set. Since most of my cars were slants I would add a leaf from a donor spring set. Worked great and was free. You have to have a longer bolt that holds the leaf pack together. I machined them on the lathe. Also, you can usually add one leaf without getting longer U bolts.

After seeing the upper shock mounts on my Duster I would not feel safe turning the shocks into load-bearing parts by adding coilover springs or air shocks. Hit a big bump and you might get a hole in your trunk pan...

Still curious to see how they work though.

After seeing the upper shock mounts on my Duster I would not feel safe turning the shocks into load-bearing parts by adding coilover springs or air shocks. Hit a big bump and you might get a hole in your trunk pan...

Still curious to see how they work though.
They came in today, look nice! I'll get them on the first chance I get. The leafs should still be the main support. I've not heard anyone or read any reviews of these shocks ripping through the trunk, but it's me so you never know!! LOL

I have seen MANY MANY of these shocks on cars I have acquired over the years and never seen a damaged upper shock mount.
I have heard air shocks can cause this but again, never seen it myself.

I have seen MANY MANY of these shocks on cars I have acquired over the years and never seen a damaged upper shock mount.
I have heard air shocks can cause this but again, never seen it myself.
THANKS! This reflects the reviews I've read. Can't wait to try them on my car.

I gained a little over 1/2 inch over the tire (after I drove it around to let it all settle). Happy with the stance! Ride is actually smoother/softer. However, I've got to adjust traction bars now, because for whatever reason when power braking the driver's side raises up a lot faster. Before it raised evenly.
dscn2231-jpg.jpg

Back in the day I used to piece together my leaf springs from several set. Since most of my cars were slants I would add a leaf from a donor spring set. Worked great and was free. You have to have a longer bolt that holds the leaf pack together. I machined them on the lathe. Also, you can usually add one leaf without getting longer U bolts.

I've had to do both. Add leaves to get the rear up a bit, and I've had to remove them to lower the rear. To lower small amounts, I've used lowering blocks.

I gained a little over 1/2 inch over the tire (after I drove it around to let it all settle). Happy with the stance! Ride is actually smoother/softer. However, I've got to adjust traction bars now, because for whatever reason when power braking the driver's side raises up a lot faster. Before it raised evenly.
View attachment 1715393523

Is there a provision to add some shims under the springs to raise the rear more if you want it? That would be nice to fine tune ride height.

Is there a provision to add some shims under the springs to raise the rear more if you want it? That would be nice to fine tune ride height.
I'm sure that could be done. I like the stance as it is, a smidge higher in the back. I need to get it to work with these shocks. Before, I could leave on the street without a chirp. Today, I was confused. It would spin, even from a roll. It's been raining cats and dogs for a few day, but this morning the sun is shining. Roads "look" dry, but there could be moisture there and that be the reason. I'm not going to do anything till I try it after it's been clear for another day or so.

-
Back