"Best Reasons to Bleed Mopar?"

-

DEVIOUSDUSTER

Proud Member
Reaction score
I know I caught the Mopar bug along time ago, and haven't been the same since. But what exactly is it about this brand that drives us guys (and gals) soooo incredicbly "plum" crazy?

More interchangeable parts and world record holders.
And my forefathers built and drove them, Mother MoPar has been good to me.

A broke down /6 starter, Now problem
just find a starter for another MoPar v8 and it will get you back on the road, I dare you to try that with any x brans

I like being the odd man out. There are too many Mustangs and Cameros at shows and I think it really detracts from the cool factor if everyone has the same car. Show up in any old Mopar iron and you'll turn heads. Not to mention they're faster....

I love that I can use a starter from a big block on my /6. They are just the coolest looking cars as well. And I've alway's been into them since I was a kid. Got my first ' 65 barracuda at age 13.

When I was a kid my dad was a service manager for our local Dodge dealer. I remember going to the shop on the weekends and seeing all the cars lined up on the lot. Through the years he drove hemi's, big blocks and cars that would be worth more than a house now..."all in a days work back then" he says. So I guess you could say I was born into it.

It's true. I think family preference has a lot to do with the matter. Both grandpa's had ole 50's style Dodge pickups for their farmyard workhorses, while both grandma's had either a Imperial or Newport for going to the grocery store or Church. Uncle Jerry still has his mint 68 Coronet, high school car, while my old man used to race a 64 Sport Fury at Minnesota Dragways. Pops sold the car off to help fund the family in early years(my bad). And now I drive a Neon for a commuter and a 70 Duster for track use. The cycle continues on (no thanks to big sister who drives a Saturn)

I'm gonna do things differently however: The Duster stays no matter how hard times get! Plus protection is key......(wink wink)

Between dad and uncles race cars,muscle cars and owning a "hot rodded"
chevy in high school,well,that was a enough there.You have to own atleast one chevy to really appreciate a mopar!:-D

There different. I see mutangs and crapmaros all the time so I don't give them much thought. But to see another older Mopar out on the road is a rare thing. That and they go fast. I like to go fast!

I've always been one that had to have something different to drive. Not the same thing as everybody else. Chevys are 'belly button' cars - everyone has one.
Besides, real race cars don't wear bowties!

I think for me its the sound.There is nothing like the sound of a well tuned mopar.

I love that I can use a starter from a big block on my /6. They are just the coolest looking cars as well. And I've alway's been into them since I was a kid. Got my first ' 65 barracuda at age 13.

you must have had a great father :cheers::-D

I've always been addicted. No matter what, an old Mopar always turns my head. I just have to get a closer look. I guess non car people would call that a "sickness." I call it "my drug of choice."

I'll turn around in heavy traffic to look at an old Mopar in a parking lot even though I've seen thousands of em at Carlisle. They are the best looking and most sought after machines on the planet.Their owners are a special breed as well. Bill C

Its a family thing for me too. Another thing I'd like to know is why so many of us Mopar guys have way too many projects. If you check my link I have 2 trucks and 3 cars on there, but I also have another running 84 dodge truck and a 78 arrow not pictured, not to mention a rusty 77 volare I bought for the slant in it. I only have 2 other local mopar buddies and I have the LEAST mopars. There is a third guy I know who doesnt have a yard full, but he never has one long. Once its built or "finished" he gets the itch again and sells or trades for another project. IT NEVER ENDS for any of us (which is a good thing) I think if I could afford a mopar already finished, I wouldn't want it.
Dietz

For me I first noticed how much more "extreme" the muscle-era Mopars were compared to the Ford and Chevy cars of the day. You could get a crazy-fast Shelby Mustang or ZL1 Camaro, but out of the factory nothing was more wild and "don't f*@k with me" than a Hemi 'Cuda or Six-Pack Road Runner. And after I finally got one of my own I realized how advanced they were engineering and technology-wise compared to the Chevys and Fords of the time, especially the A-bodies. I mean really, who else makes a car that weighs under 3400 lbs., can accept a big-block V8 without too much modification, and has a suspension system that with stock geometry can beat modern exotics around a road course? Or can get over 20 MPG out of a 5.2-liter V8?

There's also a certain "aura" about Mopars that every car guy tends to respect. You tell a car guy you have a '69 Mustang Mach 1 and he'll be like, "Wow, that's pretty cool!", but tell him you have a 440-powered '71 Duster and he'll probably say something more like, "Damn dude, you must be pretty hard core!" Brand X guys worry about looking cool and driving a "badge"; us Mopar guys worry about smoking every wanna-be-fast car in our city and pounding the ground with our stroker small-blocks and hot-cammed big-blocks.

growing up i remember not really careing much for the mopars. to me then they were (with few exceptions) just another car. they didn't stand out in my mind. oh some caught my eye on occasion but not enough to grab hold of me....as time went on i began to notice that there was fewer old mopars around but for the most part the same amount of gm's and fords. i was born into a gm family so i never looked at or saw anything else...haveing been down the gm, ford , mercury, path i tried honda and hyundai, but they were not filling the void for me. gmc came next then finally by chance a dodge! after my first mopar i was seeing the side of these cars i had never seen before. i realised that these cars are special for many reasons. style, interchangeability, colors , innovation, and history of performance. they command attention. i also realised that you see these cars so seldom, but when you do, you look, and you remember! for me this is what it is all about......

I've always loved all kinds of cars, but I've always been a sucker for the classics. New cars don't have that look, that feel. They're all little jellybeans on wheels making tinny noises. I grew up watching the Dukes of hazzard, then a long string of car movies. My father and unlce used to be involved with drag racing clubs back in cali in the 70's, and I grew up with legions of stories of big slicks, burning rubber, and fast nights. I saw a Duster once, as a kid.. Fell in love with them. Same with Chargers. Ever since then, it's just been Mopar love.

Too bad my brother is a Chevy man..

I've found Mopar fans to be a more dedicated, high class, breed of fan base than Ford and Chevy guys/gals. Mopar followers don't just put dual pipes on a stock engine and think they own the street. We have bark to our bite!

I grew up in a Chevy family. I went Mopar when a cousin gave
me a ride in his 64 Sport Fury with a 426 wedge motor in it.
WOW. I was about 11 years old. Then in 1970 my other cousin
gave me a ride in a sublime GTX. 440 powered. how could you
not be hooked.
My dad took my first Mopar out for a ride one day. 71 Duster
twister with a 318. He thought I would kill myself in it.
But he was use to the Chevy power. I'm still here today.
That was back in 1973. He must be shaking his head up in
heaven right now.
The present Duster is about 4 secound quicker.
I miss that old guy.

Used to street race alot in the late 70's.

My weapon of choice was a 70 coronet R/T with a 440 6 pack,hooker headers,fairbanks buildt auto,355 gears ,Kelly Springfield Super charger L60's

Wrecked it in 1980 at over 100mph and walked away and sold the engine for almost as much as I had in the whole car.

Bought my dart a couple of years later and have owned numerous other fast cars since but still have a mopar hot rod in the garage.

img012.jpg

Chrysler has never been afraid to mix it up and keep the auto scene fresh. I mean backin the 50's they came out with a turbine car! They dare to be different and that's what I like about the company's reputation. They of course have had their downfalls but sometimes you gota run before you can walk!

i was brought home from the hospital in a 68 hemi superbee dad said i loved that car, then when he traded it in for a pinto during the gas crisis he said i didnt like going for rides much thankfully older brother got the bug and got a demon 340 ..... dad wouldnt let me go ridin with him much couldnt understand why until years later and i was incontrol of a gas pedal lol

All te best stories I've heard from the "glory days" involve a Mopar. It was either a Mopar leading the way or a Mopar police vehicle in hot pursuit.

Years ago I asked my dad how he got into mopars, seeings how his dad cared less about them, and didn't like "hot rods" of any make as far as I could tell. He told me when he was test driving used cars he test drove a 65 vette w/ a 327 and a 68 barracuda w/ a 383. (Both cars were in the $2600 range used) Anyhow he was still pretty young and the barracuda actually scared him when he got it out alone. so the next day he bought... the corvette. BUT! he said the barracuda had left its impression.... so by time he was more confident, looking for more power and starting to street race, as well as local strips he eventually found his way into a mopar and never looked back. So here I am but he started me off right....
Dietz

-
Back